Campy compatible cranks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kjackbrown, Sep 3, 2005.

1. kjackbrown

kjackbrown New Member

I am piecing together my components (Campy Record) for my bike build and I am wondering if there is a difference in compatibility for cranks, for Campy and Shimano components? I want to make sure I don't have compatibility issues by buying the wrong crank. I was thinking of getting either a FSA SL-K compact or a ControlTech compact crank, but none of them (on eBay) list that they are Campy compatible.

Also...I'm assuming I need an english threaded bottom bracket (my frameset is a Kestrel) since my frame is a American brand (yes, I know it's really made some where in the orient).

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Yeah, it's english thread. I duno what would make a crank not campy compatible. But certainly you don't want a track,bmx or single speed crank that requires a 1/8" chain.

3. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

There shouldn't be any problems if both cranks and bottom bracket are of the square tapered type. You may have difficulties were splined mountings are involved.

4. John M

John M New Member

Both will work fine with Campy drivetrain. They will not fit Campy BB though, but their chainrings should work with whatever derailleur chain you use.

Not to be negative, but maybe E-bay is not the best way for you to be buying your parts for this bike since you may not be able to return something that you bought by error, whereas through a conventional mail order retailer (Supergo, nashbar, performance, etc...) or local shop you may-not to mention technical support at the time of purchase. You see, I got a nice deal on eBay on an unused Campy triple crank a few months ago because its previous owner didn't know what he really needed whe he bought it on ebay, but couldn't return it when it didn't fit his BB. eBay is risky if you don't know exactly what you need and can use the usually limited info provided to evaluate if what is being sold will meet your needs. Its no longer a good deal if it doesn't work.

5. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

campy compatible means square taper.
    however, campy square taper is different than shimano (pre-octalink)
    square taper,
    www.philwood.com
    has the info.

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

7. kjackbrown

kjackbrown New Member

Okay...so it sounds like ANY crank will work as long as I buy the bottom bracket that matches it. My concern was more of there might be a difference in chain link spacing making a Shimano chain different from Campy.

I noticed some of them say ISIS, Mega Exo, and such but I'm guessing that deos not matter as long as the bottom bracket is the SAME. For example...if I buy the crank and the bottom bracket from different vendors...but they both say Mega Exo...I should be fine.

8. John M

John M New Member

I believe that new FSA road MegaExo cranksets come with an integrated BB/bearing set generally sold together as one unit. FSA ISIS drive BBs come separate from the cranks. The Shimano external BB units have the bearings/cups sold separately.

9. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Derailer chains are 1/2" pitch and 3'32" inside width. Outside width varies as to cassette cog spacing.

10. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

Boudry baby, ifn' ya did read from the start ya still could not know what kinda bb he may or may not use, piecing it together and all, just tryin' to cover all the bases due to this non-specificity.

thanks for lookin' out for me and my comprehension switch though.
    it is a tall order...

11. Rich B

Rich B New Member

If it says Mega Exo the BB should come as part of the crankset

12. kjackbrown

kjackbrown New Member

Ordered the FSA SL-K compact which included the (mega Exo) bottom bracket all in one package.

13. PeterF

PeterF New Member

If you haven't ordered it already, you probably want to go with a Record CT front derailleur. The cage is designed to work with compact cranks.

14. kjackbrown

kjackbrown New Member

Done...had to order it online so I should get it by Friday(ish).