Campy compatible cranks

bbud

Feb 22, 2011
After 20+ years of road racing, a friend and I have decided to tour the country - left to right, fully loaded unsupported. ;o)

Being of Scottish descent, I'm loath to part with money I don't have to, so I'm planning to convert my road bike for the trip.

I'm running all Campagnolo Chorus components, but am looking for a triple crankset that will drop me into a 24t inner ring, which means mt. bike cranks. I'll run a 12-32 or something similar behind.

Does anyone know if there are mt. bike cranks that are compatible with Campy BB spindle, or will I have to buy a new BB as well? I'll probably have to pick up some variety of mt. bike rear derailleur to accommodate the bigger cogs, but that's no big deal.

thanks, Bob

The crank spindle for current Campagnolo is a standard apart. So there is no way to get a triple in there without changing BBs.

You can still get Campagnolo triples on ebay etc (for square taper BB), however, which, I think, have a 30T inner ring. Much easier and more likely to work than buying a different branded crank. If you're planning on a 32t sprocket (not sure if Campagnolo even make them), do you really need any chainring smaller than that? After all you will still be riding on roads.

The biggest concern I have about what you have said is that you intend to run a road bike "fully loaded"...... gulp!

This is a Reynolds 853 steel frame (Landshark), and it has withstood my 180 lb. pounding for quite a few years. I did not think there would be a problem if I added another 30-40 lbs. I know the bike, it fits like a glove, it rides and climbs so smooth, why buy another. If I was and am riding that close to the rivet (on a bike that cannot take another few pounds), maybe I DO need to find another bike??!!

By the way, why is it I cannot use apostrophes or slashes when typing? Odd.

Will you be able to mount racks, fenders and wider tires on your Landshark? Do you know how loading (front/rear) will affect your bike's handling? Just some things to think about.

Racks? Yes, with rubber coated mounting clips. Fenders? Yes. Wider tires? I'll use Continental Gatorskin 700 x 28. Loaded front end maneuverability? Don't have a clue yet. Will have to wait and see.

Now, given the apprehension of setting up a road bike for touring, what other bikes would I consider 'tour worthy' should one come around? Someone mentioned the Specialized Sequoia. What others might you recommend?

I'm not a touring expert, but the one bike that is always mentioned for touring (in a good way), has been made for many years, and is still around, is the Trek 520. I'd bet that you can find some good deals on these on eBay and CL.

The extra 15-20kg (I actually think it will need to be on the heavy side if you really are going unsupported) isn't necessarily the problem (up to a point). Its how and where on the bike it is to be mounted. If we suspend logical thought for a second and assume that you'd put it all in a back pack, that's just a little more mass supported on the saddle. Road bikes can do that pretty well (though with about a 25-30% increase in load it will be pushing it); they're designed to carry weight on the saddle. But they aren't designed to carry it anywhere else so that they can also be made light.

Now Reynolds 853 is steel but not heavy gauge stuff so I wouldn't bet on it holding that sort of mass (especially if there are no mounting points). I ride a steel frame roadie too but there is no way I'd be trying to make it carry weight in places that weren't designed for it.

Now because your bike has no mounting eyelets, you need to use rubber coated clips. There is no way that a few of these will be able to hold 20kg over several hundred km of riding without vibrating loose.

Would you be getting the assistance/opinion of your local bike shop before doing this?

I know you want to do it all on the cheap, but I can't help but think, like Steve_A, that destroying a nice road bike in the process would be a false economy.

Fair enough, Tafi.

Actually, the other day, I figured I had better get another bike altogether, as I was having to change the gearing out anyway, and Campagnolo does not make larger toothed cassettes (at least that I can find). So, that, along with your observations and critique, have me looking over the next few months for a Surly, or another comparable frame with suitable gearing.

Thanks all for your comments.

Tafi, if I send over an icechest, would you send me some VB? I used to live over in Mosman, and sure do miss that stuff!

thanks again,

Bob

Yeah Surly or Soma are probably good places to look. Those bikes usually come with a multitude of mounting points.

I actually live not far from Mosman (Kirribilli). I can't remember the last time I drank a VB! I'm a James Squires (local Sydney brew) man myself.

Good luck with your project.

Originally Posted by bbud .

After 20+ years of road racing, a friend and I have decided to tour the country - left to right, fully loaded unsupported. ;o)

Being of Scottish descent, I'm loath to part with money I don't have to, so I'm planning to convert my road bike for the trip.

I'm running all Campagnolo Chorus components, but am looking for a triple crankset that will drop me into a 24t inner ring, which means mt. bike cranks. I'll run a 12-32 or something similar behind.

Does anyone know if there are mt. bike cranks that are compatible with Campy BB spindle, or will I have to buy a new BB as well? I'll probably have to pick up some variety of mt. bike rear derailleur to accommodate the bigger cogs, but that's no big deal.

thanks, Bob
Get a Centaur 111 or 115 BB(depends on your seattube size), a Comp, Veloce, Centaur, Mirage triple crank and find a 24t smallest ring(74mm bolt diameter), it'll work fne. You will need a Campagnolo long cage RD and triple FD as well.