Campy-compatible hubs for disc brakes



Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff S.

Guest
I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT Hugi
or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that will run with a Campy cassette? Trying to identify less
expensive options.

Any other options in 700c wheels, other than to buy the Velomax Sagitta (Campy version) pre-built
wheels? These should be available this fall, according to Velomax.

Thanks in advance.
 
D

David Reuteler

Guest
Jeff S. <[email protected]> wrote:
: I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT
: Hugi or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that will run with a Campy cassette? Trying to identify
: less expensive options.

i, uhh, .. is this a trick question? have a campy rear hub on my cyclo- cross bike. $50 (veloce) to
$120 (chorus) to $150 (record) for the rear. i'd forget about the $250 hubs.
--
david reuteler [email protected]
 
D

David Reuteler

Guest
Jeff S. <[email protected]> wrote:
: I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT
: Hugi or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that will run with a Campy cassette? Trying to identify
: less expensive options.

i actually looked at this as well. i think you're screwd. just one small part of the reason i run
disc brakes front and cantis rear.
--
david reuteler [email protected]
 
R

Rosco

Guest
"Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT
> Hugi or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that will run with a Campy cassette? Trying to identify
> less expensive options.
>
> Any other options in 700c wheels, other than to buy the Velomax Sagitta (Campy version) pre-built
> wheels? These should be available this fall, according to Velomax.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

Last I looked, Chris King didn't do Campagnolo - disc or not. Same holds for Phil Wood.

You probably won't find any standard offering combining Campagnolo with a disc let alone something
with 135mm rear spacing. But it might be possible to get what you want anyways. Some manufacturers
has fairly modular designs which might allow them to configure what you want as a special.

Don't know if it's at all possible, but I would try:

White Industries (www.whiteind.com)

DT Hugi

Edco (contact http://www.thorusa.com/about.htm)

Good luck!
 
R

Rosco

Guest
"rosco" <reverse-the-following"ocsor_g"@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT
> > Hugi or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that
will
> > run with a Campy cassette? Trying to identify less expensive options.
> >
> > Any other options in 700c wheels, other than to buy the Velomax Sagitta (Campy version) pre-
> > built wheels? These should be available this fall, according to Velomax.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
>
> Last I looked, Chris King didn't do Campagnolo - disc or not. Same holds for Phil Wood.
>
> You probably won't find any standard offering combining Campagnolo with a disc let alone something
> with 135mm rear spacing. But it might be
possible
> to get what you want anyways. Some manufacturers has fairly modular
designs
> which might allow them to configure what you want as a special.
>
> Don't know if it's at all possible, but I would try:
>
> White Industries (www.whiteind.com)
>
> DT Hugi
>
> Edco (contact http://www.thorusa.com/about.htm)
>
> Good luck!
>

One further thought...

You say that you have 130mm rear spacing...

Can you even get a Shimano hub for 130mm spacing? I thought all disc hubs regardless of religion,
were atleast 135mm. You will probably have to get your frame cold set to 135mm.
 
K

Kinky Cowboy

Guest
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:06:07 -0500, "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT Hugi
>or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that will run with a Campy cassette? Trying to identify less
>expensive options.
>
>Any other options in 700c wheels, other than to buy the Velomax Sagitta (Campy version) pre-built
>wheels? These should be available this fall, according to Velomax.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>
>

Maybe you could bodge something together with Mavic parts, or Miche or TA or Marchisio. Between that
lot, you should be able to figure out a combination of sprockets, spacers and lockring to fit
practically any hub. Then you're just looking for a 130mm 9/10 speed disc hub, which might be more
of a problem than the cassette as pretty well all disc hubs are built for 135mm OLN MTB application.
Given that you probably can't take out 5mm of spacers on the disc side without the disc hitting the
chainstay, and likewise taking anything out of the cassette side is just gonna drive the top
sprocket into the dropout,

splayed to fit a 135mm hub. Anyway, what frame are you using that has both 130mm spacing and a disc
caliper mount?

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your milage may vary
 
J

Jeff S.

Guest
See my earlier post regarding finding a steel, disc-brake ready frame. Kinky Cowboy replied to that
re the On-One 'Inbred' frame. I read C+ magazine, so I'm familiar with these guys.

I'm giving myself lots of time to figure this disc brake and Campy-10 issue out. I should also
consider; Wheels Mfg. and American Classic cassettes on a ShimaNO wheel, as well as the new ShimaNO
10-speed stuff. Waiting for my 2004 QBP catalogue to get the ShimaNO specs. Since I will select a
steel frame, making or cold-setting to 135mm is an anticipated part of the "fix".

Thanks.

"Kinky Cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:06:07 -0500, "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT
> >Hugi or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that will run with a Campy cassette? Trying to identify
> >less expensive options.
> >
> >Any other options in 700c wheels, other than to buy the Velomax Sagitta (Campy version) pre-built
> >wheels? These should be available this fall, according to Velomax.
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >
> >
>
> Maybe you could bodge something together with Mavic parts, or Miche or TA or Marchisio. Between
> that lot, you should be able to figure out a combination of sprockets, spacers and lockring to fit
> practically any hub. Then you're just looking for a 130mm 9/10 speed disc hub, which might be more
> of a problem than the cassette as pretty well all disc hubs are built for 135mm OLN MTB
> application. Given that you probably can't take out 5mm of spacers on the disc side without the
> disc hitting the chainstay, and likewise taking anything out of the cassette side is just gonna
> drive the top sprocket into the dropout,

> splayed to fit a 135mm hub. Anyway, what frame are you using that has both 130mm spacing and a
> disc caliper mount?
>
>
> Kinky Cowboy*
>
> *Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your milage may vary
 
D

David Reuteler

Guest
rosco <reverse-the-following"ocsor_g"@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Can you even get a Shimano hub for 130mm spacing? I thought all disc hubs regardless of religion,
: were atleast 135mm. You will probably have to get your frame cold set to 135mm.

it was easy enuf to respace a non-disc XT hub to 130mm, that may still be the case for the disc
version. the spacing probably isn't the problem but the campag spline. it wouldn't haven't been good
enuf for me to have a shimano spline (i already have a bunch of campag cassettes).

i'd say .. honestly .. stuff the rear disc. you don't need it.
--
david reuteler [email protected]
 
J

Jeff S.

Guest
What threadless disc-brake ready fork do you run? Is it carbon?

This option may help me out, unfortunately my utility frame (old blue Surly CROSS x CHECK) is 1"
threaded. Which means I still need the new frame as shown in other post.

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jeff S. <[email protected]> wrote:
> : I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT
> : Hugi or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that
will
> : run with a Campy cassette? Trying to identify less expensive options.
>

subject)
>
> i actually looked at this as well. i think you're screwd. just one small part of the reason i run
> disc brakes front and cantis rear.
> --
> david reuteler [email protected]
 
D

David Reuteler

Guest
Jeff S. <[email protected]> wrote:
: What threadless disc-brake ready fork do you run? Is it carbon?

winwood muddy cross disc.

yep, carbon. even has fender eyelets (that'd be a bit more useful if the brake didn't get it in
the way). it's not fru-fru or anything but i'm pretty happy with it. aluminum steerer and it is
fairly beefy.

beware it's only available in 1 1/8".

: This option may help me out, unfortunately my utility frame (old blue Surly CROSS x CHECK) is 1"
: threaded. Which means I still need the new frame as shown in other post.
--
david reuteler [email protected]
 
Q

Qui Si Parla Ca

Guest
jeffcx-<< I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other
than DT Hugi or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that will run with a Campy cassette? Trying to
identify less expensive options.
>><BR><BR>

I could be wrong but are there any 130mm disc rear hubs? And then for Campagnolo?

Doibt it. I think your best bet would be a coldset of your frameset to 135mm, then a XT/Deore disc
rear hub and a Whells manufacturing or DA 10s cogset and chain.

Velomax...don't believe the hang tag that says, 'no touchup required!!!", these wheels are
perfect' nonsense.

If my wheels were this outta true when new I would turn in my spoke wrench....

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
Jeff S. wrote:
> I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT
> Hugi or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that will run with a Campy cassette? Trying to identify
> less expensive options.
>
> Any other options in 700c wheels, other than to buy the Velomax Sagitta (Campy version) pre-built
> wheels? These should be available this fall, according to Velomax.

Best value for a cross bike is the Campagnolo Mirage / Veloce hub with shielded cartridge bearings
at about $79 (less if you can find a 2003) Build it with a Velocity Aerohead or your choice of rim
in 36h for a tough wheel which can bear the wet realm of cross.

WHy did you mention all the odd stuff and not the original?

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
> Jeff S. <[email protected]> wrote:
> : I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT
> : Hugi or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that will run with a Campy cassette? Trying to
> : identify less expensive options.

David Reuteler wrote:

> i actually looked at this as well. i think you're screwd. just one small part of the reason i run
> disc brakes front and cantis rear.

Gosh darn it, me too. Can't you get brake studs brazed on? It would be so much better,
lighter, cheaper.
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
 
K

Kinky Cowboy

Guest
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:53:57 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Jeff S. <[email protected]> wrote:
>> : I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT
>> : Hugi or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that will run with a Campy cassette? Trying to
>> : identify less expensive options.
>
>David Reuteler wrote:

>> i actually looked at this as well. i think you're screwd. just one small part of the reason i run
>> disc brakes front and cantis rear.
>
>
>Gosh darn it, me too. Can't you get brake studs brazed on? It would be so much better,
>lighter, cheaper.

It's that old "rim brakes don't work in mud" thing. A good mud tyre can take more braking than a rim
brake can provide in gloopy conditions. If you can use all your tyre grip when your rim braked
competitors can't, there's a potential competitive advantage, i.e. you can stuff them under braking
into a "one line" corner. There's also the question of being able to replace both halves of the
friction pair without needing a wheel rebuild, and the safety aspect of not using your brakes to
grind away the very material which is holding your tyres on. I can perfectly well see why he'd want
disc brakes on his cyclo-X bike, just can't see it happening with Campag 10v drivetrain.

Shimano 9-speed disc hubs and cassettes are so cheap it would probably pay to switch even including
a new brifter and rear mech, compared with the expensive hoops you'll have to jump through to get
discs and Campag 10v. Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your milage may vary
 
D

David Reuteler

Guest
Kinky Cowboy <[email protected]> wrote:
: I can perfectly well see why he'd want disc brakes on his cyclo-X bike, just can't see it
: happening with Campag 10v drivetrain.

works great on my campy cyclocross bike.

front only ;-) do you really think there's such an advantage to running a rear disc brake that it's
worth swapping your drive train over? the front is soooo easy. it almost seems like diminishing
returns to do the rear (well, not like i had a choice. my frame won't accomodate a rear disc).
--
david reuteler [email protected]
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
>>>Jeff S. <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>: I'm running Campy-10 drivetrain on a cyclocross (130 mm rear) bike, does anyone, other than DT
>>>: Hugi or maybe Chris King, make such a hub that will run with a Campy cassette? Trying to
>>>: identify less expensive options.

>>David Reuteler wrote:

>>>i actually looked at this as well. i think you're screwd. just one small part of the reason i run
>>>disc brakes front and cantis rear.

> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:53:57 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
>>Gosh darn it, me too. Can't you get brake studs brazed on? It would be so much better, lighter,
>>cheaper.

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
> It's that old "rim brakes don't work in mud" thing. A good mud tyre can take more braking than a
> rim brake can provide in gloopy conditions. If you can use all your tyre grip when your rim braked
> competitors can't, there's a potential competitive advantage, i.e. you can stuff them under
> braking into a "one line" corner. There's also the question of being able to replace both halves
> of the friction pair without needing a wheel rebuild, and the safety aspect of not using your
> brakes to grind away the very material which is holding your tyres on. I can perfectly well see
> why he'd want disc brakes on his cyclo-X bike, just can't see it happening with Campag 10v
> drivetrain.
>
> Shimano 9-speed disc hubs and cassettes are so cheap it would probably pay to switch even
> including a new brifter and rear mech, compared with the expensive hoops you'll have to jump
> through to get discs and Campag 10v.

You make a good point.

Actually , a Campagnolo shift cam for $35 makes his system a nine speed and then a Shimano disc hub
and a SRAM cassette completes it nicely.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
 
Status
Not open for further replies.