Campy component change/upgrade

lspeedguy

Mar 12, 2016
My current bike is all Chorus , 53/39 up front and 13-29 on the back ; I'd like to go to a 50/34 compact with 11-32 - currently I believe only Shimano offers 11-32 , if I stay with Campy I'd have to settle for 29 - but here are my questions :

(1) Will the compact require new derailleurs ?
(2) I like the fact that todays mechanical shifters seem to have a shorter throw than my current ones but will I have to replace the brakes too ?
(3) My current 10-speed Campy free hub sits on a Mavic wheel - can I simply swap out the 10 for an 11 free hub ? and if so will it align with the compact crankset ?

I'm trying to (1) avoid getting a triple and (2) replacing all the components .

As an aside my mechanic has always favored Campy, as have I , but to stay in business he's had to favor Shimano over the last few years based on the price difference ; he also says that there's very little noticeable difference for the recreational rider between Dura Ace and Ultegra while Ultegra is noticeably better than 105 .

Thanks in advance for comments and thoughts .

I will defer all the technical questions to Alfeng but just an opinion: I have a 12-27. Started with a 12-25. I think you would be quite satisfied with the 29. I can't imagine a 32 with a 50 chainring unless you're climbing a wall.

The Campagnolo mechanical derailleurs shift cable ratio changed in...what was it?...2014? Depending on what year your Chorus components are 'if' you buy new derailleurs you will have to buy new shift/brake levers to match them. If you are changing from 10-speed to 11-speed you will need new derailleurs and shifters.

10-speed to 11-speed on most Mavic wheels is a done deal. Only some of the older Mavics will not handle the 11-speed cassette. I have 11-speed Campy cassettes on all my Mavic wheel sets dating back to 2007. If you are using the 10-speed spacer behind the 10-speed cassette, remove it to run the 11-speed cassette. If you are not currently using the spacer or just using the very thin (.015" or so thick) spacer, the 11-speed cassette should sill go on without problem.

With your current gearing you are wrapping up 35 teeth worth of chain. With the switch to a compact and the 29 cassette, you are wrapping up 32 teeth difference, so your current short cage Chorus derailleur should be good to go. Even if you built up a 32 granny cassette your current rear derailleur should throw it and wrap it...if you stayed with 10-speeds, of course. Going to 11...new derailleur at the rear, at a minimum, is required.

Clear as mud?

Forgot to add...if you really want to mix it up to get a larger rear cassette bottom end, people say...take that for what it cost you and do your research before plunking down the cash...a shimaNO 11-speed cassette works perfectly with a Campy 11-speed drive train. I would never mix group components, myself, but it has been done successfully. Google 'Leonard Zinn shimaNO cassette with Campagnolo' and it might pop up in the search results.

Depending on what source you read, a Chorus short cage is rated to throw / wrap 32 teeth.

To clarify: Campy changed the cable actuation/ pull ratio when they went from 10-speed to 11-speed in 2008. In 2015 the ratio was changed, again, for the 11-speed groups and was not backwards compatible with 2014 and prior 11-speed components (or at least that's the scuttlebutt).

Last edited:
I will defer all the technical questions to Alfeng but just an opinion: I have a 12-27. Started with a 12-25. I think you would be quite satisfied with the 29. I can't imagine a 32 with a 50 chainring unless you're climbing a wall.

Maybe I'm not understanding your comment. My new bike came with Ultegra 6800, 50/34 and 11-32, as standard issue. I use the 34/32 frequently on steep climbs. There are times when I'd like something lower, as my cadence at 3 mph on the steep stuff is a bit low, but as a practical compromise on a road bike I think it's low enough.

Maybe I'm not understanding your comment. My new bike came with Ultegra 6800, 50/34 and 11-32, as standard issue. I use the 34/32 frequently on steep climbs. There are times when I'd like something lower, as my cadence at 3 mph on the steep stuff is a bit low, but as a practical compromise on a road bike I think it's low enough.

I think Doctorold meant to say "a 32 with a 34 chainring" but I agree with you Dhk2 , having the 34/32 available is a nice ace in the hole .

Thanks everyone especially CampyBob for some great feedback and food for thought .

My current bike is all Chorus , 53/39 up front and 13-29 on the back ; I'd like to go to a 50/34 compact with 11-32 - currently I believe only Shimano offers 11-32 , if I stay with Campy I'd have to settle for 29 - but here are my questions :

(1) Will the compact require new derailleurs ?
(2) I like the fact that todays mechanical shifters seem to have a shorter throw than my current ones but will I have to replace the brakes too ?
(3) My current 10-speed Campy free hub sits on a Mavic wheel - can I simply swap out the 10 for an 11 free hub ? and if so will it align with the compact crankset ?

I'm trying to (1) avoid getting a triple and (2) replacing all the components .
FWIW ...

The non-definitive answer is that with your MAVIC wheel, you can change the MAVIC Freehub body from a Campagnolo-compatible MAVIC Freehub (which can accommodate 9-/10-/11-speed Campagnolo/-compatible Cassettes) to a Shimano-compatible MAVIC Freehub body of your choosing, and vice-versa.

Depending on the spoke type on your MAVIC wheelset, you could alternatively have the rim relaced onto the Shimano/-compatible hub of your choice.

NOW, that begs the question:

Why would you want to change Freehub bodies if you can get a 32t Campagnolo Cog, now?!?

It turns out that I found that my older (1998-2001) 9-/10-speed Campagnolo rear derailleur with a medium cage can accommodate a whopping 11-36 (10-speed) Shimano Cassette ...​

The 2001-2007 Campagnolo rear derailleurs can handle a 34t Cog without-any-problem with typical derailleur hangers NOT designed for the older Nuovo Record rear derailleurs ...

Whether or not a longer cage will be required when using a 32t Cog and a "Compact" crankset probably depends on the size of the OUTER chainring and/or how much slack you are willing to live with on the chain's return run (IMO, THAT's really more of a cosmetic issue on a Road bike ... but, a serious matter on a MTB with a a full suspension)​

10-speed Shimano Cassettes are pretty much index-compatible with 11-speed Shimano AND 11-speed Campagnolo shifters when paired with their respective derailleurs ...​

The shorter parallelogram of the more recent Campagnolo rear derailleurs DO HAVE A PROBLEM with larger Cogs ... and, that is undoubtedly why the parallelogram is canted downward on Campagnolo's latest-and-supposedly-greatest rear derailleurs.
BTW. The cage on Camapagnolo rear derailleurs can be readily interchanged in most cases ... most of the cages are held in place with a C-Clip. The Record rear derailleur cages are held onto the forward knuckle with a bolt ... and, I think that is also how the Chorus cage is held in place (that's how it was on the older versions), so swapping derailleur cages may-or-may-not be cost effective ...

AFAIK, even the lowest-of-the-low-end Xenon rear derailleurs are interchangeable with Record rear derailleurs ... and, vice-versa.
BTW2. When in doubt OR if a person has the option, I always recommend choosing a MEDIUM CAGE rear derailleur ('GS' in Shimano nomenclature) or longer ...

In the worst case scenario, YOU can always mate your Campagnolo components with a Shimano rear derailleur using the hubbub.com alternate rear derailleur cable anchoring to adjust the indexing as needed.​

I think Doctorold meant to say "a 32 with a 34 chainring" but I agree with you Dhk2 , having the 34/32 available is a nice ace in the hole .

Thanks everyone especially CampyBob for some great feedback and food for thought .
Thanks. My bad. I was referring to the compact crankset small chainring. a 34.