Campy Conversion

Max Phillips

May 9, 2006
I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into a flame war but I'm debating a conversion to Campagnolo. What all am I going to need to change?

Shifters
Derailleurs
Cassette
Rear Wheel/Freehub Body
Chain
Crankset, Bottom bracket

Any thoughts on what grouppo I should look into also? I was thinking of trying to buy all 10 speed Centaur and then possibly upgrade parts as I go. Thoughts?

Shifters
rear derailleur
cassette
rear hub
chain

You can keep your current crankset and front derailleur.

Groupset? - whatever you want to spend!

By no means wanting to second guess anyone, just wanting to double check that I don't need a different chainring and front derailleur...I thought the spacing was different?

Thanks,

Max

Max Phillips said:
By no means wanting to second guess anyone, just wanting to double check that I don't need a different chainring and front derailleur...I thought the spacing was different?

Thanks,

Max
Not necessary, unless you are concerned about those parts not matching the rest of the gruppo.
The cassette and shifters are a different story however, as they do, indeed have to have the same spacing to shift correctly, and so work best when they are either both Campy or both Shimano/Shimano compatible.

artemidorus said:
Shifters
rear derailleur
cassette
rear hub
chain

You can keep your current crankset and front derailleur.

Groupset? - whatever you want to spend!
I run '04-'06 Record on both bikes. If I did it over again, I would go with Chorus. Functionally the same as Record, just a little less carbon and stainless hardware instead of titanium. Lots of great deals on pre-2007 cranksets too. Beware, the cassettes are expensive. They last long, but they really soak you for them.

PeterF said:
I run '04-'06 Record on both bikes. If I did it over again, I would go with Chorus. Functionally the same as Record, just a little less carbon and stainless hardware instead of titanium. Lots of great deals on pre-2007 cranksets too. Beware, the cassettes are expensive. They last long, but they really soak you for them.

The best way to get around the dearer cassettes on campy is to buy veloce. Cheap as chips and lasts for ages!!!