Campy crankset Dura ace der question

scottdurand

Aug 20, 2006
Ok here goes. My new Colnago will be complete Ultegra except that I have opted for a Carbon Colnago crankset on Ebay. The question has now arised that the crankset Colnago produced was designed for Campy. Question is will the Campagnolo style chainrings be compatible with the rest of my Dura ace equpment. BTW, my Dura ace setup is 9spd. Any feedback appreciated,

Cheers mate,

Scott

scottdurand said:
Ok here goes. My new Colnago will be complete Ultegra except that I have opted for a Carbon Colnago crankset on Ebay. The question has now arised that the crankset Colnago produced was designed for Campy. Question is will the Campagnolo style chainrings be compatible with the rest of my Dura ace equpment. BTW, my Dura ace setup is 9spd. Any feedback appreciated,
Why would you want to use Shimano components on your Colnago?!?

Regardless, it is easier to use Shimano/ANY cranks with Campy shifters ...

And, I don't believe that the Shimano shifters are as forgiving as the Campagnolo shifters ... but, you should be "okay" ... PARTICULARLY if the Shimano shifters/etc. are 9-speed while the Campagnolo chainrings are 10-speed.

Using the 10-speed Shimano shifters will probably be better with cranks that (can) use Shimano's 10-speed chainrings.

Hello thanks for the response. I should have been a little clearer. The reason for the Shimano setup is the bike is being setup strictly for Time Trials using aerobars/bar end shifter/brakes etc. I already had a dura ace setup plus Carbon HED wheels for the Shimano setup. Would you have an idea for which chaing I should use (the 9speed Shimano chaing I have now?)

Scott

alfeng said:
Why would you want to use Shimano components on your Colnago?!?

Regardless, it is easier to use Shimano/ANY cranks with Campy shifters ...

And, I don't believe that the Shimano shifters are as forgiving as the Campagnolo shifters ... but, you should be "okay" ... PARTICULARLY if the Shimano shifters/etc. are 9-speed while the Campagnolo chainrings are 10-speed.

Using the 10-speed Shimano shifters will probably be better with cranks that (can) use Shimano's 10-speed chainrings.

scottdurand said:
Hello thanks for the response. I should have been a little clearer. The reason for the Shimano setup is the bike is being setup strictly for Time Trials using aerobars/bar end shifter/brakes etc. I already had a dura ace setup plus Carbon HED wheels for the Shimano setup. Would you have an idea for which chaing I should use (the 9speed Shimano chaing I have now?)
Did you want to use a recent, square-spindle "Campagnolo"/Colnago crank OR a newer, Campagnolo Ultra Torque crank?

I haven't used the new, Campagnolo Ultra Torque cranks ... they look good (as do the older Campagnolo Record cranks), but I think Shimano cranks are generally better; so, I would (and, do on most of my road bikes) use Shimano cranks/chainrings on your TT bike.

I have read speculation that the Record/Chorus BB have less resistance because of the lesser contact area of the larger/fewer bearings vs. the roller bearings on the "older" DA Octalink bottom brackets; but, I'm not convinced that Shimano cartridge BB (whose plastic seals have been "broken in") can't be as smooth after a couple of thousand (?) miles (which you get during your training rides).

Thanks for all your help. I am going to use a brand new Chorus BB with the Colnago crankset as I have the BB an the colnago doesn't come with one. So the SRAM chaing should be fine with my 9 speed Front rear der setup using the 10 speed Campy compatible Colnago crankset?

Cheers,
Scott

scottdurand said:

Cheers mate,

Scott
Doesnt matter since your shimano components wont recognize that your crankset was made for campy and refuse to cooperate.

scottdurand said:
Thanks for all your help. I am going to use a brand new Chorus BB with the Colnago crankset as I have the BB an the colnago doesn't come with one. So the SRAM chaing should be fine with my 9 speed Front rear der setup using the 10 speed Campy compatible Colnago crankset?
Without measuring them, I think that the ramps on the 10-speed Campagnolo chainring more closely approximate the thickness of Shimano's chainrings than the 9-speed Campagnolo chainrings ...

With the Shimano bar-end shifter set in friction mode for the front, you can actually use almost (very qualified) any chain -- the SRAM chain is just slightly narrower than the Shimano 9-speed chain ... there are some infinitesmal advantages.

I would continue to use the Shimano 9-speed chain(s) you have until it/(they) is/(are) in need of replacement.

scottdurand said:

Cheers mate,

Scott

I agree with alfeng. Many TT barend set-ups will end up with Shimano shifters just because of the cost of the Campagnolo bar-ends. No problem with the Campy chainring set-up in the S drivetrain. I also like the SRAM chains because of the removable link, which really facilitates cleaning the drivetrain. But agree that you shouldn't replace an otherwise good Shimano 9s chain--it will work fine with the so-called Campy-10 chainrings. The only thing that c10 means is that the chainrings are 0.4mm (can you even see that much of a difference??) closer together than Campy-9s. S9 and S10 are the same distance apart I believe and are actually between the C9 and C10-so you should be fine.

Thanks for all the help. The Colnago crankset is on it's way from Italy and I found a local shop with the Sram chain on clearance so I bought two of them after reading the glowing reviews of the chain. I really appreciate the advice you guys have been a big help. BTW, my local shop had the standard version of the 89 SRAM chain and the hollow type, which do you prefer?

Regards,

Scott

scottdurand said:
Thanks for all the help. The Colnago crankset is on it's way from Italy and I found a local shop with the Sram chain on clearance so I bought two of them after reading the glowing reviews of the chain. I really appreciate the advice you guys have been a big help. BTW, my local shop had the standard version of the 89 SRAM chain and the hollow type, which do you prefer?

Regards,

Scott

The 9s hollow-pin version is lighter and is actually slightly narrower (narrow enough to work with campy 10s cassettes).
Personally, I would use the standard SRAM chain. I have several thousand miles on two of them with no problems.

alfeng said:
Without measuring them, I think that the ramps on the 10-speed Campagnolo chainring more closely approximate the thickness of Shimano's chainrings than the 9-speed Campagnolo chainrings ...

With the Shimano bar-end shifter set in friction mode for the front, you can actually use almost (very qualified) any chain -- the SRAM chain is just slightly narrower than the Shimano 9-speed chain ... there are some infinitesmal advantages.

I would continue to use the Shimano 9-speed chain(s) you have until it/(they) is/(are) in need of replacement.
Actually they are all the same thickness that is why it doesnt matter. The difference between a standard 9 or 10s campy chainwheel/rings versus the ultra model is the tolerance between chainrings. The Ultra is 0.4mm closer. This isnt an issue really as I've used in the past with no issues a campy 10s chain on a non Ultra chainring and using a 10s Record front der.