Campy CT front derailleur

Tim McTeague

Guest
I've seen many posts complaining about Campagnolo's CT front derailleurs not
working well with off brand cranks. I have also seen some saying it works
fine with all Campy stuff. I run Record Ergo shifters with Dura Ace 9
speed gears. The recent addition of a Chorus Ultra-Torque CT crank has me
thinking about the CT derailleur, hoping it can replace my Dura-Ace and Jump
Stop gizmo. I tried a '06 Chorus shifter last week and my 9 speed Shimano
chain rubbed nearly all the time. With the little plastic insert Campagnolo
uses there was hardly room for the chain. I ret'd the part and then found I
should have knocked out the insert and that it was only there for 10 speed.
The inst. sheet made no mention of this. Lots of Googling turned up a few
posts with mentions of chain rub on the new CT models. So, soon all there
will be is the new QS shifters which require two lever pushes with the non
QS Ergos. Anyone have experience with a 9 speed chain and the "old" CT
derailleur? Thanks.

Tim McTeague

Tim McTeague wrote:
> I've seen many posts complaining about Campagnolo's CT front derailleurs not
> working well with off brand cranks. I have also seen some saying it works
> fine with all Campy stuff. I run Record Ergo shifters with Dura Ace 9
> speed gears. The recent addition of a Chorus Ultra-Torque CT crank has me
> thinking about the CT derailleur, hoping it can replace my Dura-Ace and Jump
> Stop gizmo. I tried a '06 Chorus shifter last week and my 9 speed Shimano
> chain rubbed nearly all the time. With the little plastic insert Campagnolo
> uses there was hardly room for the chain. I ret'd the part and then found I
> should have knocked out the insert and that it was only there for 10 speed.
> The inst. sheet made no mention of this. Lots of Googling turned up a few
> posts with mentions of chain rub on the new CT models. So, soon all there
> will be is the new QS shifters which require two lever pushes with the non
> QS Ergos. Anyone have experience with a 9 speed chain and the "old" CT
> derailleur? Thanks.
>
> Tim McTeague

No, not '2 lever pushes' for non QS Ergo, at least for Record and
Chorus or the QS fd...it actually just a longer armed FD for more FD
travel for given cable pull. Not sure why you have so much rub, but
yes, take the plastic thingy in the FD out..I would still use a
chainwatcher, even with a CT FD, BTW-

I have used any FD with ERGO and 9s shimano chains, but Campag CT works
best with all Campag 10s stuff, no doubt about it. Might try a
Wipperman 6.2mm so called '10s' chain or the Sram PC-899R, also 6.2mm,
but works fine with 9s shimano cogsets.

> No, not '2 lever pushes' for non QS Ergo, at least for Record and
> Chorus or the QS fd...it actually just a longer armed FD for more FD
> travel for given cable pull. Not sure why you have so much rub, but
> yes, take the plastic thingy in the FD out..I would still use a
> chainwatcher, even with a CT FD, BTW-
>
> I have used any FD with ERGO and 9s shimano chains, but Campag CT works
> best with all Campag 10s stuff, no doubt about it. Might try a
> Wipperman 6.2mm so called '10s' chain or the Sram PC-899R, also 6.2mm,
> but works fine with 9s shimano cogsets.

Thanks, Peter. I'm in no hurry to replace the Shimano FD but was afraid
that only the QS models would be availble in the near future. According to
several web sites: "Please note, however, that the QS Compact front
derailleur is compatible with pre-2007 Ergopower levers, though shifting
between chainrings will require at least two lever pushes". That is what
got me concerned.

Tim McTeague

Tim McTeague wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > No, not '2 lever pushes' for non QS Ergo, at least for Record and
> > Chorus or the QS fd...it actually just a longer armed FD for more FD
> > travel for given cable pull. Not sure why you have so much rub, but
> > yes, take the plastic thingy in the FD out..I would still use a
> > chainwatcher, even with a CT FD, BTW-
> >
> > I have used any FD with ERGO and 9s shimano chains, but Campag CT works
> > best with all Campag 10s stuff, no doubt about it. Might try a
> > Wipperman 6.2mm so called '10s' chain or the Sram PC-899R, also 6.2mm,
> > but works fine with 9s shimano cogsets.

> Thanks, Peter. I'm in no hurry to replace the Shimano FD but was afraid
> that only the QS models would be availble in the near future. According to
> several web sites: "Please note, however, that the QS Compact front
> derailleur is compatible with pre-2007 Ergopower levers, though shifting
> between chainrings will require at least two lever pushes". That is what
> got me concerned.
>
> Tim McTeague

Since the arms of the 'QS' FDs are longer and pre-2007 ERGO will work
with any FD...I don't get the '2 push' thing...

Tim McTeague wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > No, not '2 lever pushes' for non QS Ergo, at least for Record and
> > Chorus or the QS fd...it actually just a longer armed FD for more FD
> > travel for given cable pull. Not sure why you have so much rub, but
> > yes, take the plastic thingy in the FD out..I would still use a
> > chainwatcher, even with a CT FD, BTW-
> >
> > I have used any FD with ERGO and 9s shimano chains, but Campag CT works
> > best with all Campag 10s stuff, no doubt about it. Might try a
> > Wipperman 6.2mm so called '10s' chain or the Sram PC-899R, also 6.2mm,
> > but works fine with 9s shimano cogsets.

> Thanks, Peter. I'm in no hurry to replace the Shimano FD but was afraid
> that only the QS models would be availble in the near future. According to
> several web sites: "Please note, however, that the QS Compact front
> derailleur is compatible with pre-2007 Ergopower levers, though shifting
> between chainrings will require at least two lever pushes". That is what
> got me concerned.

If the new QS front derailleurs have longer arms then you have to pull
more cable to shift from the inner ring to the outer ring. So you will
have to push on the Ergo finger lever twice to move the front
derailleur. Unless your fingers are very long and you have the cable
adjuste dvery tight, it may be unlikely you can make one push of the
finger lever to get the front derailleur from its inner limit screw to
its outer limit screw. Thus two lever pushes are necessary. You
ratchet it half way with the first push then ratchet it the rest of the
way with the second push.

[email protected] wrote:
> Tim McTeague wrote:
> > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >

> > > No, not '2 lever pushes' for non QS Ergo, at least for Record and
> > > Chorus or the QS fd...it actually just a longer armed FD for more FD
> > > travel for given cable pull. Not sure why you have so much rub, but
> > > yes, take the plastic thingy in the FD out..I would still use a
> > > chainwatcher, even with a CT FD, BTW-
> > >
> > > I have used any FD with ERGO and 9s shimano chains, but Campag CT works
> > > best with all Campag 10s stuff, no doubt about it. Might try a
> > > Wipperman 6.2mm so called '10s' chain or the Sram PC-899R, also 6.2mm,
> > > but works fine with 9s shimano cogsets.

> > Thanks, Peter. I'm in no hurry to replace the Shimano FD but was afraid
> > that only the QS models would be availble in the near future. According to
> > several web sites: "Please note, however, that the QS Compact front
> > derailleur is compatible with pre-2007 Ergopower levers, though shifting
> > between chainrings will require at least two lever pushes". That is what
> > got me concerned.

> If the new QS front derailleurs have longer arms then you have to pull
> more cable to shift from the inner ring to the outer ring. So you will
> have to push on the Ergo finger lever twice to move the front
> derailleur. Unless your fingers are very long and you have the cable
> adjuste dvery tight, it may be unlikely you can make one push of the
> finger lever to get the front derailleur from its inner limit screw to
> its outer limit screw. Thus two lever pushes are necessary. You
> ratchet it half way with the first push then ratchet it the rest of the
> way with the second push.

Tell ya what, after I actually touch and install this stuff, I'll post
my findings..like using the 'QS' FD with 2006 ERGO, using the 'QS' and
Escape ERGO with standard FDs, etc. I'll take a Centaur lever apart and
see how it's made, etc...I have not installed any of this stuff, have
only seen pix, except for the crank(which we have).