Campy Derailleur Information?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Road Man, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

    What are the maximum sprocket and the maximum chain wrap-up capacity
    for a Campy Racing T rear derailleur? I'm in the middle of setting
    one up and it doesn't seem to be as wide-range as I had hoped.

    Also, would those figures hold on a plain-old Campy dropout, or is a
    special dropout length (der mounting tab length) needed?

    Ken Freeman

    Tags:

  2. Road Man wrote:
    > What are the maximum sprocket and the maximum chain wrap-up capacity
    > for a Campy Racing T rear derailleur? I'm in the middle of setting
    > one up and it doesn't seem to be as wide-range as I had hoped.
    >
    > Also, would those figures hold on a plain-old Campy dropout, or is a
    > special dropout length (der mounting tab length) needed?
    >
    > Ken Freeman

    Try it and if you cannot get it to work for big-big and small-small
    combos, get a 'long' cage Campag rear der. The Racing T is really a mid
    cage of today BUT I have used Racing T RD with 11-32 w/o problem.

    Any der hanger.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Road Man wrote:
    > What are the maximum sprocket and the maximum chain wrap-up capacity
    > for a Campy Racing T rear derailleur? I'm in the middle of setting
    > one up and it doesn't seem to be as wide-range as I had hoped.

    2000: max sprocket 28, capacity 37

    2001: max sprocket 29, capacity 35 -- I used one of these OK with 26-39-52
    + 13-27. Chain was as short as possible for 52x27 and I couldn't properly
    use the smallest few sprockets with the granny ring, but I didn't want to.

    > Also, would those figures hold on a plain-old Campy dropout, or is a
    > special dropout length (der mounting tab length) needed?

    I don't know but I expect they're for typical/average dropouts and tabs.

    ~PB

  4. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

    Thanks, all, for the info.

    I'm using the Racing T crankset with 30-42-52 and a 13-26 freewheel
    non-indexed. So far so good with a PC-68 chain, I had to remove one
    link from it for a 44 cm chainstaiy (Woodrup Giro). I could possibly
    remove another link, but the chain gets pretty straight in the swing
    arm. It works ok on the service stand and the trainer, but I'm never
    really convinced until I've taken it out on the (now frigid!!!) road.

    The Racing T front derailleur is really sweet shifting between the 52
    and 42! There really is something to those more elaborate cage
    shapes.

    So my wrap requirement now is 22+13=35 teeth.

    I might want to try a 28 tooth, because this triple arrangement
    doesn't get me much more low end than a 52-40 with a 13-34 Megarange.
    It still won't really be wide range, however.

    What's the difference between a 2000 model and a 2001 model, or is it
    just a revised spec?

    Is it possible to put a smaller granny ring on a Racing T crankset?

    Thanks,

    Ken Freeman

    "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]
    > Road Man wrote:
    >> What are the maximum sprocket and the maximum chain wrap-up
    >> capacity
    >> for a Campy Racing T rear derailleur? I'm in the middle of setting
    >> one up and it doesn't seem to be as wide-range as I had hoped.

    > 2000: max sprocket 28, capacity 37
    >
    > 2001: max sprocket 29, capacity 35 -- I used one of these OK with
    > 26-39-52
    > + 13-27. Chain was as short as possible for 52x27 and I couldn't
    > properly
    > use the smallest few sprockets with the granny ring, but I didn't
    > want to.
    >
    >> Also, would those figures hold on a plain-old Campy dropout, or is
    >> special dropout length (der mounting tab length) needed?

    > I don't know but I expect they're for typical/average dropouts and
    > tabs.
    >
    > ~PB

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Road Man wrote:
    > What's the difference between a 2000 model and a 2001 model, or is it
    > just a revised spec?

    Different model. I'm not sure if the cage length is different but the
    shape of the body is slightly different. Diagrams should be in the Spare
    Parts section of www.Campagnolo.com .

    > Is it possible to put a smaller granny ring on a Racing T crankset?

    Definitely. All 5-arm 74mm chainrings fit, even ShimaNO. Minimum size is
    24 teeth, though 26 is a more sensible/practical limit. Even a 28 would
    be worthwhile -- very little downside.

    ~PB