Campy doubles and triples shifters?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dabac, Feb 24, 2008.

  1. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,276
    Hi guys.

    I'm looking to buy some used Campy shifters, but being very much a Campy rookie there are things that are quite unclear to me. Ebay lists some front shifters as being for doubles only, but looking at catalouges I don't see any current shifters that are listed as either double or triple specific.

    So what's the deal here? Were there "double-only" campy shifters once, or are the ebay sellers even more clueless about Campy stuff than I am?

    (I am looking for somewhat older stuff, preferably front shifters w/o the "QS" function, 8 or 9 spd, of either generation.)

    Cheers,

    dabac

    Tags:

  2. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    dabac wrote:
    > Hi guys.
    >
    > I'm looking to buy some used Campy shifters, but being very much a
    > Campy rookie there are things that are quite unclear to me. Ebay lists
    > some front shifters as being for doubles only, but looking at catalouges
    > I don't see any current shifters that are listed as either double or
    > triple specific.
    >
    > So what's the deal here? Were there "double-only" campy shifters once,
    > or are the ebay sellers even more clueless about Campy stuff than I am?

    I don't know anything about the really old Campy stuff, but from 2000
    there is no difference in double or triple. In front you have, I think,
    9 or 10 clicks. For triple divided over 3 chainrings, for a double over
    two chainrings. The difference is in the front derauilleur.

    > (I am looking for somewhat older stuff, preferably front shifters w/o
    > the "QS" function, 8 or 9 spd, of either generation.)

    w/o QS is wise. Why 8 speed?

    Lou

  3. On Feb 24, 3:00 pm, dabac <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

    > (I am looking for somewhat older stuff, preferably front shifters w/o
    > the "QS" function, 8 or 9 spd, of either generation.)

    Eight and nine are different animals when it comes to the rear hub/
    cassettes.

    There are older, "pointy" style lever bodies/hoods, and newer,
    "roundies". I like the round ones better for comfort, but that's
    individual.

    The Centaur 9's I have, alu (not carbon fiber) levers and round hoods,
    work just as well as Record 8 and 9sp pointy's on my other bikes. You
    might find those NOS (sorry, I forgot a source I just saw the other
    day), with cables (saving some $$$). Cheaper cassettes and chains with
    9sp than for 10sp. 9sp cassettes might be available a little longer
    than 8, both are OOP from my understanding-- still very available,
    both of them.

    Branford (for one) has some Campy info you might find useful:

    http://tinyurl.com/3xxwr9

    Also, Campy brake QR's are located in the brake levers. You can keep
    brake calipers that have QR's on them but you might take advantage of
    brake QR's that work whether closed or left open by mistake <g>. --D-y

  4. A R:nen

    A R:nen Guest

    Lou Holtman <[email protected]> writes:

    > I don't know anything about the really old Campy stuff, but from 2000
    > there is no difference in double or triple.

    All Ergopowers are triple-compatible, and I don't think any of the
    really really old stuff has indexing in front to make any difference
    either.

  5. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,276
    I found a compatibility chart which stated that Campy 8 shifter + Shimano RD would index nicely with Shimano 5/6 speeds. One viable drivetrain option for the Frankenbike I'm hoping to put together.

    Another is Campy 9 and a shift mate to get the amount of wire pull right. But that would require going to a cassette hub, and more extensive mods to the bits I already have.

  6. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,276
    OOP?

    Thanks for the link. I've been to the Branford site before, and I recognise the headlines but those pages don't open on my computer when accessed from the Braford catalouge. Gotta remember to bookmark that link...

  7. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,276
    Thanks. I thought so from the catalogues I've read, but I wasn't sure. A bit intimidating that the people selling this stuff don't know better though.

  8. On Feb 25, 4:40 am, dabac <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > [email protected] Wrote:
    >

    > > On Feb 24, 3:00*pm, dabac <[email protected]
    > > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

    > > > (I am looking for somewhat older stuff, preferably front shifters

    > > w/o
    > > > the "QS" function, 8 or 9 spd, of either generation.)

    > > Eight and nine are different animals when it comes to the rear hub/
    > > cassettes.

    > > There are older, "pointy" style lever bodies/hoods, and newer,
    > > "roundies". I like the round ones better for comfort, but that's
    > > individual.

    > > The Centaur 9's I have, alu (not carbon fiber) levers and round hoods,
    > > work just as well as Record 8 and 9sp pointy's on my other bikes. You
    > > might find those NOS (sorry, I forgot a source I just saw the other
    > > day), with cables (saving some $$$). Cheaper cassettes and chains with
    > > 9sp than for 10sp. 9sp cassettes might be available a little longer
    > > than 8, both are OOP from my understanding-- still very available,
    > > both of them.

    > > Branford (for one) has some Campy info you might find useful:

    > >http://tinyurl.com/3xxwr9

    > > Also, Campy brake QR's are located in the brake levers. You can keep
    > > brake calipers that have QR's on them but you might take advantage of
    > > brake QR's that work whether closed or left open by mistake <g>.  --D-y

    > OOP?
    >
    > Thanks for the link. I've been to the Branford site before, and I
    > recognise the headlines but those pages don't open on my computer when
    > accessed from the Braford catalouge. Gotta remember to bookmark that
    > link...

    out of production.

    My intended triple project (8sp Record brifters, Racing Triple f.
    derailleur, Veloce 3x crank, Record 111BB, and medium rear
    derailleur) has been on the Gurney for a couple of years now (saving
    me from climbing the bad hills with it), but Campy left brifters work
    with triple front derailleurs.

    Saw mention of "have to buy a cassette hub".

    Suggest you post a more thorough description of what you have and
    where you want to go with it.

    I'm not a Frankenguy but they lurk and post here.

    Also suggest that cassette hubs did solve a problem-- axle breakage in
    126mm axles (OLD).

    Further not "trying to spend your money but": 9sp is fertile ground
    for mixing body parts.

    Ten speed might be, also:

    Even though I said not Franken ("steen!!!") ("what hump"?), I did
    recently have a rear wheel built with Ultegra hub (past generation,
    ebay cheapie) and Ultegra 10sp cassette (also a successful scrounge),
    which seems to work perfectly, no adj. req., on the Wifenbike (recent
    Centaur group, 10sp CS brifters) (nope, don't like the CS). Which
    saved me a $150-250 compared to raiding the catacombs for an OOP 28h
    9/10 Campy hub and current-production Campy 10sp cluster to go on
    it. --D-y

  9. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,276
    OK, here goes(in some sort of priority):
    1) Set up a commuter with bullhorn bars and Campy brifters. Bullhorn because I see how much use the barends on my MTB are getting. Campy brifters because the wire routing is elegant and leaves space open for a bar-mounted bike bag.
    2) I'd like to stay at 9 speeds and Shimano compatibility due to lower prices and to tie in with other stuff I already have. Comfortably priced parts makes it easier to keep up with the maintenance on an all-weather commuter.
    3) I've got a composite rear wheel that I'd like to use. Better braking than on alloy rims and a plush ride at high pressures but not enough gears for the intended use.
    Running a soft indexing front shifter would let me use a front triple, or maybe even a quad to expand the ratio some.
    4) If 3 doesn't work out well enough I might be able to do a hub transplant on the composite wheel, and either stick a body hub or a freewheel hub there.
    5/6 speed frewheels are said to index nicely with Campy 8, while Campy 9 and a shift mate would work well with stuff I already got. Due to OLD issues preference might go to 5/6 speed freewheels, while sheer usage preferences would go to 9 speed body.

  10. Pete Grey

    Pete Grey Guest

    That's correct. I've been using it since the mid-90's and there has never
    been any indexing specific to double or triple at least since the 8-speed
    variety of Ergo on.
    This is (one) of the really cool things about Campy Ergo vs. Shimano. The
    other one at the top of my list is rebuild-ability;-]

    -pete

    news:[email protected]