Campy Drivetrain Oddity Question

John

Guest
I've been riding campy for years now, and since I went to 10 speeds a few
years back I've noticed an odd feeling in the drivetrain.

I've got two sets of wheels, one is a shimano hub with a Wheels
Manufacturing shimano/campy conversion casette. The other a standard record
hub/casette. With the straight campy stuff, I can always feel what I'd call
a "vibration" in through the cranks under power; as if I'm pedaling over a
tightly washboarded surface almost. With the Wheels Mnfg. casette the
drivetrain is much smoother and quiter. Also, I have the hardest time
dialing in perfect deraileur adjustments on the campy. I can get perfectly
quiet on the outsides of the casette, or the insides but not both.

I'm assuming the new narrow chain helps with chainrub noise, but what's with
the washboard vibrations? This is on a new hub/casette/chain/chainring
combo.

I want my Campy record to be as smooth as it is shiny!
jb

"John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been riding campy for years now, and since I went to 10 speeds a few
> years back I've noticed an odd feeling in the drivetrain.
>
> I've got two sets of wheels, one is a shimano hub with a Wheels
> Manufacturing shimano/campy conversion casette. The other a standard
> record hub/casette. With the straight campy stuff, I can always feel what
> I'd call a "vibration" in through the cranks under power; as if I'm
> pedaling over a tightly washboarded surface almost. With the Wheels Mnfg.
> casette the drivetrain is much smoother and quiter. Also, I have the
> hardest time dialing in perfect deraileur adjustments on the campy. I can
> get perfectly quiet on the outsides of the casette, or the insides but not
> both.
>
> I'm assuming the new narrow chain helps with chainrub noise, but what's
> with the washboard vibrations? This is on a new
> hub/casette/chain/chainring combo.
>
> I want my Campy record to be as smooth as it is shiny!
> jb

"I can get perfectly quiet on the outsides of the cassette, or the insides
but not both." This is a classic symptom of the changer cable installed on
the wrong side of the clamp bolt. It goes on the outside and is just nipped
by the clamp, not threaded under the plate. Did you drop on a new cable at
the same time and fix this issue?

Me

"me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "I can get perfectly quiet on the outsides of the cassette, or the
> insides but not both." This is a classic symptom of the changer cable
> installed on the wrong side of the clamp bolt. It goes on the outside and
> is just nipped by the clamp, not threaded under the plate. Did you drop
> on a new cable at the same time and fix this issue?
>
> Me

Really? i do have the derailleur cable running straight through the grove in
the metal plate. Interesting. I'll try this!

Thanks!

"John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>

>> "I can get perfectly quiet on the outsides of the cassette, or the
>> insides but not both." This is a classic symptom of the changer cable
>> installed on the wrong side of the clamp bolt. It goes on the outside
>> and is just nipped by the clamp, not threaded under the plate. Did you
>> drop on a new cable at the same time and fix this issue?
>>
>> Me
>>

> Really? i do have the derailleur cable running straight through the grove
> in the metal plate. Interesting. I'll try this!
>
> Thanks!

Was I right?

me