Campy drivetrain, Shimano freehub

Hi All,

I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.

I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?

I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are "boutique"
wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project, and being a
funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped unless absolutely
necessary.

Suggestions?

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.
>
> I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
> have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
> Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
> expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?
>
> I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
> find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are "boutique"
> wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project, and being a
> funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped unless absolutely
> necessary.
>
> Suggestions?

Shimano 8 speed cassette.
Shimano rear derailleur (the Campag ought to work).
Campag 10 speed shifters.
Will work and shift properly.

(Look up "Shimergo" on Google for various other combinations )

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On Nov 8, 12:58 pm, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.

> > I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
> > have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
> > Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
> > expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?

> > I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
> > find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are "boutique"
> > wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project, and being a
> > funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped unless absolutely
> > necessary.

> > Suggestions?

> Shimano 8 speed cassette.
> Shimano rear derailleur (the Campag ought to work).
> Campag 10 speed shifters.
> Will work and shift properly.
>
> (Look up "Shimergo" on Google for various other combinations )
>
> - Nigel

Thanks for the Shimergo tip.

This seems to indicate that it'll work fine:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946#Campag

And that is good because 8 speed cassettes are nice and cheap.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 8, 12:58 pm, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Hi All,

>>> I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.

>>> I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
>>> have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
>>> Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
>>> expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?

>>> I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
>>> find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are
>>> "boutique" wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project,
>>> and being a funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped
>>> unless absolutely necessary.

>>> Suggestions?

>> Shimano 8 speed cassette.
>> Shimano rear derailleur (the Campag ought to work).

Correction below, don't think Campag mech works.

>> Campag 10 speed shifters.
>> Will work and shift properly.
>>
>> (Look up "Shimergo" on Google for various other combinations )
>>
>> - Nigel
>>

> Thanks for the Shimergo tip.
>
> This seems to indicate that it'll work fine:
>
> http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946#Campag
>
> And that is good because 8 speed cassettes are nice and cheap.

I've just re-read the tables; needs the Shimano rear mechanism (also cheap)
as well as the Shimano 8 cassette, combined with the Campagnolo 10 ergo
shifter. The Campag 10 rear mechanism WON'T move the correct distances.

Your alternative with a Campag rear mechanism is the Shiftmate ($35) and a
Shimano 9 cassette.

( My planned tourer upgrade from 7 speed screw-on to cassette hubs has a set
of 2006 Ergo shifters sitting waiting for Shimano 8 speed bits to be bought
and assembled. )

- Nigel

--

[email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 8, 12:58 pm, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Hi All,

>>> I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.

>>> I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
>>> have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
>>> Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
>>> expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?

>>> I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
>>> find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are
>>> "boutique" wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project,
>>> and being a funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped
>>> unless absolutely necessary.

>>> Suggestions?

>> Shimano 8 speed cassette.
>> Shimano rear derailleur (the Campag ought to work).

Correction below, don't think Campag mech works.

>> Campag 10 speed shifters.
>> Will work and shift properly.
>>
>> (Look up "Shimergo" on Google for various other combinations )
>>
>> - Nigel
>>

> Thanks for the Shimergo tip.
>
> This seems to indicate that it'll work fine:
>
> http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946#Campag
>
> And that is good because 8 speed cassettes are nice and cheap.

I've just re-read the tables; needs the Shimano rear mechanism (also cheap)
as well as the Shimano 8 cassette, combined with the Campagnolo 10 ergo
shifter. The Campag 10 rear mechanism WON'T move the correct distances.

Your alternative with a Campag rear mechanism is the Shiftmate ($35) and a
Shimano 9 cassette.

( My planned tourer upgrade from 7 speed screw-on to cassette hubs has a set
of 2006 Ergo shifters sitting waiting for Shimano 8 speed bits to be bought
and assembled. )

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On Nov 8, 3:35 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.
>
> I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
> have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
> Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
> expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?
>
> I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
> find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are "boutique"
> wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project, and being a
> funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped unless absolutely
> necessary.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Joseph

Use a Shimano or SRAM 9 or 10 speed cassette. If you use a 9, adjust
the low limit screw on the RD to lock out the last click. S9 spacing
is 0.05mm wider than C10, and S10 is 0.05mm narrower - entirely within
the system's tolerances. I posted in another thread last night that my
SRAM PG950 12-25 cassette shifts better on an otherwise Veloce 10s
drivetrain than the American Classic Conversion Cassette I tried.

Seriously, it works, just try it!

On Nov 8, 2:36 pm, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:

> >> Shimano 8 speed cassette.
> >> Shimano rear derailleur (the Campag ought to work).

> Correction below, don't think Campag mech works.
>
> >> Campag 10 speed shifters.
> >> Will work and shift properly.

> >> (Look up "Shimergo" on Google for various other combinations )

> >> - Nigel

> > Thanks for the Shimergo tip.

> > This seems to indicate that it'll work fine:

> >http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946#Campag

> > And that is good because 8 speed cassettes are nice and cheap.

> I've just re-read the tables; needs the Shimano rear mechanism (also cheap)
> as well as the Shimano 8 cassette, combined with the Campagnolo 10 ergo
> shifter. The Campag 10 rear mechanism WON'T move the correct distances.
>
> Your alternative with a Campag rear mechanism is the Shiftmate ($35) and a
> Shimano 9 cassette.
>
> ( My planned tourer upgrade from 7 speed screw-on to cassette hubs has a set
> of 2006 Ergo shifters sitting waiting for Shimano 8 speed bits to be bought
> and assembled. )
>
> - Nigel
>
> --
> Nigel Cliffe,
> Webmaster athttp://www.2mm.org.uk/

I see I misread the table. I suppose I'll just try a 9-speed I have
lying around and if that doesn't work, a Shiftmate.

Joseph

On Nov 8, 2:36 pm, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:

> >> Shimano 8 speed cassette.
> >> Shimano rear derailleur (the Campag ought to work).

> Correction below, don't think Campag mech works.
>
> >> Campag 10 speed shifters.
> >> Will work and shift properly.

> >> (Look up "Shimergo" on Google for various other combinations )

> >> - Nigel

> > Thanks for the Shimergo tip.

> > This seems to indicate that it'll work fine:

> >http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946#Campag

> > And that is good because 8 speed cassettes are nice and cheap.

> I've just re-read the tables; needs the Shimano rear mechanism (also cheap)
> as well as the Shimano 8 cassette, combined with the Campagnolo 10 ergo
> shifter. The Campag 10 rear mechanism WON'T move the correct distances.
>
> Your alternative with a Campag rear mechanism is the Shiftmate ($35) and a
> Shimano 9 cassette.
>
> ( My planned tourer upgrade from 7 speed screw-on to cassette hubs has a set
> of 2006 Ergo shifters sitting waiting for Shimano 8 speed bits to be bought
> and assembled. )
>
> - Nigel
>
> --
> Nigel Cliffe,
> Webmaster athttp://www.2mm.org.uk/

I see I misread the table. I suppose I'll just try a 9-speed I have
lying around and if that doesn't work, a Shiftmate.

Joseph

I concur. I posted in another similar thread; I've run Shimano 9 cassettes
with 9-speed Campy Shifters and mech. for several cassettes. Shifts just as
well as a full Campy setup.

-pete

"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Nov 8, 3:35 am, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.
>>
>> I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
>> have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
>> Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
>> expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?
>>
>> I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
>> find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are "boutique"
>> wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project, and being a
>> funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped unless absolutely
>> necessary.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Joseph

> Use a Shimano or SRAM 9 or 10 speed cassette. If you use a 9, adjust
> the low limit screw on the RD to lock out the last click. S9 spacing
> is 0.05mm wider than C10, and S10 is 0.05mm narrower - entirely within
> the system's tolerances. I posted in another thread last night that my
> SRAM PG950 12-25 cassette shifts better on an otherwise Veloce 10s
> drivetrain than the American Classic Conversion Cassette I tried.
>
> Seriously, it works, just try it!

I concur. I posted in another similar thread; I've run Shimano 9 cassettes
with 9-speed Campy Shifters and mech. for several cassettes. Shifts just as
well as a full Campy setup.

-pete

"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Nov 8, 3:35 am, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.
>>
>> I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
>> have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
>> Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
>> expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?
>>
>> I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
>> find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are "boutique"
>> wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project, and being a
>> funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped unless absolutely
>> necessary.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Joseph

> Use a Shimano or SRAM 9 or 10 speed cassette. If you use a 9, adjust
> the low limit screw on the RD to lock out the last click. S9 spacing
> is 0.05mm wider than C10, and S10 is 0.05mm narrower - entirely within
> the system's tolerances. I posted in another thread last night that my
> SRAM PG950 12-25 cassette shifts better on an otherwise Veloce 10s
> drivetrain than the American Classic Conversion Cassette I tried.
>
> Seriously, it works, just try it!

On Nov 8, 6:35 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.
>
> I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
> have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
> Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
> expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?
>
> I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
> find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are "boutique"
> wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project, and being a
> funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped unless absolutely
> necessary.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Joseph

you can always go to ebay for the used parts that will fix it all.
trust me you could get those parts for under $50
regards,
carlos
www.bikingthings.com
Get Faster, Enjoy Cycling, Get Fit, Live Better.

<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.
>
> I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
> have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
> Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
> expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?
>
> I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
> find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are "boutique"
> wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project, and being a
> funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped unless absolutely
> necessary.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Joseph

you can always go to ebay for the used parts that will fix it all.
trust me you could get those parts for under $50
regards,
carlos
www.bikingthings.com
Get Faster, Enjoy Cycling, Get Fit, Live Better.

On Nov 8, 10:35 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.
>
> I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
> have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
> Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
> expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?
>
> I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
> find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are "boutique"
> wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project, and being a
> funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped unless absolutely
> necessary.
>
> Suggestions?

Shimano 9 cassette, shimano mechs, hubbub cable routing.

Works a treat.

On Nov 14, 7:29 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 8, 10:35 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > I know this sort of thing comes up repeatedly, but here goes anyway.

> > I am building a bike for my son and I have aquired some wheels which
> > have a Shimano freehub. These are aftermarket wheels. The bike has
> > Campy 10-speed Mirage/Xenon components. A Wheels Mfg kit is too
> > expensive for this bike. What should I do to make this work well?

> > I know I could build a regular wheel with a Mirage hub (if I could
> > find a suitable rim), or something like that, but these are "boutique"
> > wheels and they are the ones I've got for the project, and being a
> > funky size (540), they are not going to be swapped unless absolutely
> > necessary.

> > Suggestions?

> Shimano 9 cassette, shimano mechs, hubbub cable routing.
>
> Works a treat.

Or use the Campy RD he already has and normal cable routing. That
shifts a S9 cassette just dandy.