Campy ELECTRONIC Record grouppo even closer!!!!!!!!!!!

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "jon g" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > scott <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<hfQia.10615$de
> > > I have hundreds of hours on the following 2 setups:
> >
> > > The Hayes hydraulics on MTB my provide all the power I need.
> >
> > > The Avid Shorty 4s (often mentioned here as one of the best cantilever setups) on my
> > > cyclocross bike are set up just fine. I even recently
got
> > > those Kool Stop Salmon pads that get the rave reviews here. They are distinctly lacking
> > > (power, modulation, need for frequent adjustment
due
> > > to pad wear etc) compared to the disc setup.
> >
> > There's an important disconnect here that no one seems to have noticed:
> >
> > Peter is referring to the adequacy of caliper brakes for ROAD bikes-- Campy and perhaps to a
> > lesser degree Shimano, and I agree it's difficult to fault these units. All the power,
> > smoothness and modulation one could ask for on the road.
> >
> > ...While Scott refers directly to off-road brakes-- in particular canti's, to which I also agree
> > that much is left to be desired, as I too have recent Avid's w/ the revered salmon pads, and
> > although they work 'well-enough', even when using exact same wheels they are NO match for road
> > brakes in smoothness, modulation, etc. despite extensive setup efforts. I wish I could run
> > Campy's or their equivalent on my cross bike.
> >
> The problem is Scott keeps stating that disc brakes will soon be
commonplace
> on ROAD bikes. However, like you cited, the examples of his use are either off-road or cross. I
> agree that for tandem, mt. bikes and possibly cross bikes, where great loads are carried or the
> bike is ridden through lots of mud and poor weather conditions, disc brakes are good. However, for
> ROAD bikes, I agree with others, that disc brakes only ADD weight more weight
> the bike and thus, is not necessary. Will we see it on future production bikes? IF people buy into
> it and marketing/product managers at the big companies THINK people will buy it, yes we will. I
> guess for Peter and
those
> with shops, it may be a good thing as that means more things to service which most people can't do
> at home. The end result may be that Peter and other shops that learn how to service these bikes
> should make more money.....

I'm betting that the marketing guys are going to start trying to get the designer guys to build a
few disc specific road frames and see where the market is. If there is enough demand, then I'll bet
that there are going to be people jumping on the bandwagon just because. See the carbon rear end
arguments for an example.

I said in an earlier post, for wet, muddy, nasty weather, discs are a good thing for road bikes. For
normal every day riding, I'll take my D/A any day. I have a pair of Avids on my mtn bike. The
stopping power being the same wet or dry is great, the lack of rim wear is great, the weight isn't
great. For someone that is commuting on their bike wet or dry, rain or snow, it may be an answer. I
remember several snow rides with rim brakes that just scared me stiff 'cause the brakes didn't work
when I needed them RIGHT NOW. Now I like the fact that I live in SoCal where I don't have to worry
about that stuff.

First time someone comes on a group ride with discs on the bike in San Diego, I'm going to scratch
my head and wonder...

Mike

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Qui si parla
> Campagnolo) wrote:
>

>>Mikeshaw-<< I can see using discs on a road bike for say, the spring classics in Belgium or the
>>rain in the NW, but for every day? Nope
>>
>>Not even then...brakes work fine, wheels don't get wacked...
>>
>>Discs on cross, tandems, great idea...onna road bike? Dumb and dumber...
>

> I would sooner put a carbon fork on my Pinarello (er...) than a disc brake, but I have to ask a
> question: how much does it rain in Colorado?
>
> Today I got caught in a friggin' monsoon. I wish I could pretend that this doesn't happen much,
> but it's the rainy season in Vancouver, and it's raining.

You should have left earlier, 6:30 to 8:30 am was nice and dry :)

> If you were building a serious "city bike" (say, something with fenders, maybe a tail rack) and
> wanted the best brakes possible, discs would be a sensible option, since the major trade-off is
> cost, maintenance, and a few grams for inarguably better braking, especially in wet conditions.
> Admittedly, the result would be more of a repurposed 'cross bike than a pure road bike (and
> certainly not a racing bike, which is what you may have meant by your "[dumb] onna road bike"
> comment).

Here's something close to what you describe. Fender and rack eyelets with discs:
http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/bikes_med/2k3_drdew_300x4in.jpg