Campy Ergo 10 w/Shimano Der.????

chiromed

Jan 16, 2004
Basically, can you use ergo 10spd or 9 spd with Shimano derailleurs/shimano spacing cassette? I love Dura Ace reliability/cost but hate the lever design with cables sticking out.

I know you can use ergo 9 levers/derailleurs with shimano 9 cassette but my question is about shimano 9 derailleurs. The distance travelled is the same with each shift on the cassette but does the campy ergo shifter move a different amount of cable?

I don't want to use ergo 10 for shimano 9 like some websites have suggested. I'd prefer 10 for 10speeds and 9 for 9 speeds if possible.

Any feedback I'd appreciate it.

Originally posted by chiromed

I know you can use ergo 9 levers/derailleurs with shimano 9 cassette but my question is about shimano 9 derailleurs. The distance travelled is the same with each shift on the cassette but does the campy ergo shifter move a different amount of cable?

Actually the distance is not the same,as campy9 spacing is 4.55mm, and shimano 9 is 4.34mm. The whole index shifting business is in both the shifter AND the RD, and it's called cable pull and throw ratio. Campy and Shimano RD have different throw ratios. The cable pull per shift is different too.

Cables sticking out .... that's what says ... I don't ever want to use a handlebar bag.