Campy Ergo 8 on Shimano 7 Cassette?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Hultman, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Jim Hultman

    Jim Hultman Guest

    My apologies for the long post: I've a few older race bikes with Dura Ace 7 speed cassette wheels &
    derailleurs. A few more with 105, 600 & Ultegra 7. [I've avoided converting to Shimano STI shifters
    because the long sideways shift motion of a Dura Ace 8 set I once tried gave my neck a pain.] I've
    used bar-ends & downtube shifters all this time, ignorant of Campy Ergo's shorter throw & button
    arrangement. I recently bought a Chris Chance with Chorus Ergo 8, and no neck pain. Now I'd like to
    update my favorite Dura Ace 7 speed bikes by installing Campy Ergo 8 shifters. (I also have 105 &
    600 wheels, & am interested in comments on those). From reading old rec.tech posts, I see that the
    Ergo conversion will work ,as Shimano 7 speed & Campy 8 speed both have 5mm cog spacing, and as long
    as I use a Campy rear derailleur. (Because the Campy rear derailleur has a different rate of
    mechanical advantage to the Shimano, which moves 1.67mm for each 1mm of cable pull). Some of the
    questions I've been chewing over: What is the 'rate of ma' for Campy rear derailleurs... Will any
    Campy rear derailleur work; going back to Super Record... I know that Dura Ace had a different rate
    of ma than other older Shimano; I wonder what this rate is, (Maybe I can still use my Dura Ace rear
    derailleurs).... Are Sachs New Success Ergo 8 levers compatible with Shimano rear derailleurs for my
    purpose...Are there any spacing differences between the various models of Shimano cassettes &
    freewheels... Can I use Ergo with Shimano 6 speed freewheels... What chain to use with these
    conversions? Sounds like I'm tied in a knot with questions, but this is all fun. I can experiment
    with all my different components and report back to you, but I'll bet I'm the last one to the party
    on this issue. The freedom to shift while standing is still a very cool novelty to me! I like my old
    steel racebikes, and I have so many perfectly good 6 & 7 speed wheels with good cassettes &
    freewheels that I'd like to keep using them. My goal is to upgrade my fleet to Ergo as cheaply as
    possible (of course, being a cheapskate). Thanks for your comments, Jim Hultman Santa Barbara

    Tags:

  2. Jim Hultman wrote:

    > I recently bought a Chris Chance with Chorus Ergo 8, and no neck pain. Now I'd like to update my
    > favorite Dura Ace 7 speed bikes by installing Campy Ergo 8 shifters. From reading old rec.tech
    > posts, I see that the Ergo conversion will work ,as Shimano 7 speed & Campy 8 speed both have
    > 5mm cog spacing, and as long as I use a Campy rear derailleur. (Because the Campy rear
    > derailleur has a different rate of mechanical advantage to the Shimano, which moves 1.67mm for
    > each 1mm of cable pull).

    That's correct, this will work with no problems whatever.

    > Some of the questions I've been chewing over: What is the 'rate of ma' for Campy rear
    > derailleurs... Will any Campy rear derailleur work;

    Any Ergo-compatible rear derailer will work.

    > going back to Super Record...

    Pre-index derailers and old "Synchro" derailers won't work.

    > I know that Dura Ace had a different rate of ma than other older Shimano; I wonder what this rate
    > is, (Maybe I can still use my Dura Ace rear derailleurs)

    Not with Ergo.

    >.... Are Sachs New Success Ergo 8 levers compatible with Shimano rear derailleurs for my purpose...

    Yes.

    > Are there any spacing differences between the various models of Shimano cassettes & freewheels...

    No, as long as you're comparing units with the same number of sprockets.

    > Can I use Ergo with Shimano 6 speed freewheels...

    No.

    > What chain to use with these conversions?

    I like the Sram PC-58

    Sheldon "Shimano 7=Campagnolo 8" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------------+
    | The proper office of a friend is to side with you when | you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody
    | will side with you | when you are in the right. --Mark Twain |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  3. italianread-<< I recently bought a Chris Chance with Chorus Ergo 8, and no neck pain. Now I'd like
    to update my favorite Dura Ace 7 speed bikes by installing Campy Ergo 8 shifters.

    << What is the 'rate of ma' for Campy rear derailleurs... Will any Campy rear derailleur work; going
    back to Super Record

    use any Campagnolo rear der from about 1992, and the ERGO 8s will shift DA 7s fine.

    << Are Sachs New Success Ergo 8 levers compatible with Shimano rear derailleurs for my purpose.

    yes they are-

    << Can I use Ergo with Shimano 6 speed freewheels... What chain to use with these conversions?

    probably, use a 8s chain as long as the freewheel cogs are 'indexed', like uniglide.

  4. anderson

    anderson New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003