Campy Ergo 8 speed shifter parts becoming scarce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jonathan Quist

Just noticed on Branford's site that they no longer carry parts for 8 speed Ergo shifters. Are they
becoming hard to find generally? I have a set of Chorus 8 speed levers I would like to upgrade to
current 9 speed, and am wondering if I waited too long...

jcq-<< Just noticed on Branford's site that they no longer carry parts for 8 speed Ergo shifters.
Are they becoming hard to find generally? >><BR><BR>

The only thing different is the spring carrier and shift disc and branford may have a tough time
finding stuff, but any decent bike shop isn't.

jcq-<< I have a set of Chorus 8 speed levers I would like to upgrade to current 9 speed, and am
wondering if I waited too long... >><BR><BR>

The 9s disc is going to get scarce, but isn't now. Regardless of what BF says, you don't need
pulleys and rear ders and such to convert. Just a shift disc, rear hub to accept a 9s cog, chain..

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

On 03 Dec 2003 14:30:25 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>The 9s disc is going to get scarce, but isn't now. Regardless of what BF says, you don't need
>pulleys and rear ders and such to convert. Just a shift disc, rear hub to accept a 9s cog, chain..

And, if you have 2.5 mm spacers and an extra 8sp cog, you can get the 8 +1 on your 8sp hub and shift
9 fine. I did that for a while with a
12/23 + 26 cog. The spacers are available from Wheels as a Campy to Shimano conversion kit. They are
purple in color.

On 03 Dec 2003 14:30:25 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>jcq-<< Just noticed on Branford's site that they no longer carry parts for 8 speed Ergo shifters.
>Are they becoming hard to find generally? >><BR><BR>
>
>The only thing different is the spring carrier and shift disc and branford may have a tough time
>finding stuff, but any decent bike shop isn't.
>
>jcq-<< I have a set of Chorus 8 speed levers I would like to upgrade to current 9 speed, and am
>wondering if I waited too long... >><BR><BR>
>
>The 9s disc is going to get scarce, but isn't now. Regardless of what BF says, you don't need
>pulleys and rear ders and such to convert. Just a shift disc, rear hub to accept a 9s cog, chain..

What about old 9s to new 9s - you still need a new 9s rear der, right?

--
Scott Johnson "There is nothing, I think, more unfortunate than to have soft, chubby, fat-looking
children who go to watch their school play basketball every Saturday and regard that as their week's
exercise."
- John F. Kennedy, 1962

Top Sirloin wrote:

> What about old 9s to new 9s - you still need a new 9s rear der, right?

Right - if you want the best results IME. There is an actual difference between how much new and old
derailleurs move per mm of cable pulled.

~PB

Status
Not open for further replies.