Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Campy Ergo "Clock" Spring (EC-RE54/55)

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 4 posts · 306 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 January 2007
Last activity
20 January 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
306
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Do these springs ever need replacing if they aren't broken? I have an
    older Record left shifter that I recently purchased used and immedately
    rebuilt with new G-springs, and now it doesn't want to stay on the big
    ring. I reopened the shifter, and found that I needed to tighten the
    spring a half turn, which made things a bit better, but it still slips
    a bit when it is at the end of it's travel. Basically, the spring
    tension of the shifter isn't equal to the spring tension of the front
    derailer when on the big ring.

    Do I need to try to wind the spring tighter (don't think I can, but
    willing to try) or do I need to replace the spring?

    Thanks for any suggestions!

    Jonathan

  2. Quoted message said:

    Do these springs ever need replacing if they aren't broken? I have an
    older Record left shifter that I recently purchased used and immedately
    rebuilt with new G-springs, and now it doesn't want to stay on the big
    ring. I reopened the shifter, and found that I needed to tighten the
    spring a half turn, which made things a bit better, but it still slips
    a bit when it is at the end of it's travel. Basically, the spring
    tension of the shifter isn't equal to the spring tension of the front
    derailer when on the big ring.

    Do I need to try to wind the spring tighter (don't think I can, but
    willing to try) or do I need to replace the spring?

    Thanks for any suggestions!

    Jonathan

    after putting the lever back together, before you install the
    spring..."shift' the lever to the big ring position, THEN, install the
    spring, inside notch into the 8 oclock position, wrap it around and
    onto the little notch on the outside of the body. That will maximize
    the tension of the spring.

  3. Quoted message said:

    Do these springs ever need replacing if they aren't broken? I have an
    older Record left shifter that I recently purchased used and immedately
    rebuilt with new G-springs, and now it doesn't want to stay on the big
    ring. I reopened the shifter, and found that I needed to tighten the
    spring a half turn, which made things a bit better, but it still slips
    a bit when it is at the end of it's travel. Basically, the spring
    tension of the shifter isn't equal to the spring tension of the front
    derailer when on the big ring.

    Do I need to try to wind the spring tighter (don't think I can, but
    willing to try) or do I need to replace the spring?

    Thanks for any suggestions!

    Jonathan

    The part #EC-RE055 need to mate up with the metal protrusion in the
    shifter. When they mate up it's set at the proper set position. If you
    put the shifter back together without doing this then the FD will
    always want to pull to the left. When you took the G-spring carrier out
    you should have seen the metal rectagular protrusion I'm writing about.
    I finally got mine to mate up by threading the retainer bolt through
    and giving it a few turns with a hex wrench, I couldn't do it
    otherwise.

    Kenny

  4. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Quoted message said:

    Do these springs ever need replacing if they aren't broken? I have an
    older Record left shifter that I recently purchased used and immedately
    rebuilt with new G-springs, and now it doesn't want to stay on the big
    ring. I reopened the shifter, and found that I needed to tighten the
    spring a half turn, which made things a bit better, but it still slips
    a bit when it is at the end of it's travel. Basically, the spring
    tension of the shifter isn't equal to the spring tension of the front
    derailer when on the big ring.

    Do I need to try to wind the spring tighter (don't think I can, but
    willing to try) or do I need to replace the spring?

    Thanks for any suggestions!

    Jonathan

    after putting the lever back together, before you install the
    spring..."shift' the lever to the big ring position, THEN, install the
    spring, inside notch into the 8 oclock position, wrap it around and
    onto the little notch on the outside of the body. That will maximize
    the tension of the spring.

    That would be the 4 oclock position, for the notch in the thru bolt at
    the back, for the inside portion of the spring, before winding it
    around the shifter body.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.