Campy ergo experts: Change 9sp to 8sp?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Martin, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. Jim Martin

    Jim Martin Guest

    Hello Campy Experts:

    Can I change a set of 1998 Chorus ergo levers to shift 8sp? I seem to
    recall that one can upgrade 9sp to 10 but I don't recall seeing the
    discussion of going down.

    Thanks,

    Jim

    Tags:

  2. bfd

    bfd Guest

    "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello Campy Experts:
    >
    > Can I change a set of 1998 Chorus ergo levers to shift 8sp? I seem to
    > recall that one can upgrade 9sp to 10 but I don't recall seeing the
    > discussion of going down.

    Simple, both changes require the replacement of the shift disc. If you have
    the older "pointy" levers, then you need to take out the 9 speed shift disc
    and replace it with an 8 speed one. That should be easy to find.

    For instructions, Campy Only has it for the "pointy" hood levers:

    http://www.campyonly.com/howto/ergo_rebuild.html

    You'll probably want to change the "g" springs too. I highly recommend
    contacting Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com

    Peter goes by Qui Si Parla Campagnolo here and besides being
    "all-knowledgeable" about Campy has all the small parts you need at a
    reasonable price!

  3. Jim Martin wrote:
    > Hello Campy Experts:
    >
    > Can I change a set of 1998 Chorus ergo levers to shift 8sp? I seem to
    > recall that one can upgrade 9sp to 10 but I don't recall seeing the
    > discussion of going down.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim

    No sir. 1998 is unique in the ERGO world as being the first year of
    'rounded' but the last year of non-Ergo bran. They changed the innards,
    the thru bolt, the inside of the shift disc in 1999 for ERGO brain and
    all the innards as well.

    But thinking of it, If you find a Mirage 8s disc, EC-MI-213, from 1998,
    probably and not use the EC-RE-111 but it would be tough. easier to
    convert your rear wheel to 9/10s.

  4. Jim Martin wrote:
    > Hello Campy Experts:
    >
    > Can I change a set of 1998 Chorus ergo levers to shift 8sp? I seem to
    > recall that one can upgrade 9sp to 10 but I don't recall seeing the
    > discussion of going down.

    You haven't said "where you are" in what sounds like a project in this
    and another post (concerning the high cost of used/new-old Ergo).

    (for instance): Why no "pointy" levers?

    There's some reading mat'l at branfordbike.com/brake/brk.html They
    also have info on Campy cogs.

    I don't think you need anything "special" for Ergo triple, IRT the
    left-hand lever.

    When I checked a few months ago, some flavors of 8sp discs were in
    short supply, btw. Nine speed might be an option, considering the price
    of available 8sp cassettes v. 9sp Veloce, and freehub bodies to convert
    8 to 9.

    (not trying to pose as an expert, thank you) (I called Vecchio's) --D-y

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > (for instance): Why no "pointy" levers?