Campy Ergo levers on Shimano 8 speed cassette

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bob, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is there
    any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Campyo

    Campyo Guest

    any 8 speed levers would work with the shimano cassette spacing (and rear hub), but I believe you'll
    also need to put a campy 8 speed rear derailleur on the bike. the calipers won't matter... it's
    campy calipers that can't be used with shimano levers, because campy calipers don't have the release
    lever on them.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is
    > there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

    Yes.

    Get any Campagnolo Ergo Nine , a Campagnolo rear derailleur, a SRAM or Shimano nine cassette and a
    new chain. The levers include a cable set. You can switch the whole thing over in an hour or less
    and probably at less cost than replacing the Shimano levers.

  4. In article <[email protected]>, bob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is
    >there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

    You can run Campy 8, 9 or 10 speed without replacing the hub or calipers. The calipers are a
    non-issue. For 8 or 9 speed you can just use a Shimano cassette. For 10 speed you'd need a
    conversion cassette such as the one from American Classic.

  5. bobr-<< My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo.
    Is there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?
    >><BR><BR>

    Can convert any ERGO to 8s, use a Campag rder..or get 9s or 10s ERGO, any Campagnolo rear der,
    shimano 9s cassette and chain..

  6. campyo-<< any 8 speed levers would work with the shimano cassette spacing (and rear hub), but I
    believe you'll also need to put a campy 8 speed rear derailleur on the bike. >><BR><BR>

    Nope, any Campagnolo rear der will work with ERGO of any speed...

    << it's campy calipers that can't be used with shimano levers, because campy calipers don't have the
    release lever on them.
    >><BR><BR>

    Not true, the lack of QR is only a problem with really fat tires, like 28c....

  7. Jp

    Jp Guest

    [email protected] (CampyO) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > any 8 speed levers would work with the shimano cassette spacing (and rear hub), but I believe
    > you'll also need to put a campy 8 speed rear derailleur on the bike. the calipers won't matter...
    > it's campy calipers that can't be used with shimano levers, because campy calipers don't have the
    > release lever on them.

    If you believe what's at:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/icknield_roadclub/docs/newslett.htm#MIX%92N%20M

    a Campy 9 lever with a Shimano rear should shift any 8 speed. If I was committed to Campy Ergo
    replacement levers I would try it first with the Shimano rear and see how it works (unless I wanted
    to change the derailleur anyway), since the worst thing that would happen is you wind up replacing
    the derailleur anyway. Maybe keep a little extra length on the shift cable to make sure you don't
    have to replace it again if you do decide to replace the derailleur later.

    JP

  8. Dave Mayer

    Dave Mayer Guest

    "bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is
    > there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

    Bob: I've done this upgrade several times now.

    Easiest coversion is to get some 8-speed Ergopower shifters and a Campagnolo rear derailleur from
    before 2000. Ebay. Your 8-speed cog spacing is 4.8mm center to center. The Campagnolo wants 5.0mm
    spacing, but in practice its usually close enough. Worst case: add a few 7-speed spacers to your
    cassette, or a few aluminum beer-can spacers to widen-out the cassette a tad.

    Advice: The actuation ratio difference between Shimano and Campagnolo rear derailleurs is so large
    that the shifters and deraillers should be matched.

    The best information I currently have is the following:

    Shimano: 1.67:1 Dura-Ace pre 1998: about 1.8:1 Campagnolo (pre-2000): 1.43:1 Campagnolo (post 1999):
    1.50:1 Sachs New Success:: about 1.6:1 SRAM 1:1: 1.0:1

    This is the ratio between the shifter cable pull, and how far on average the derailleur moves across
    the cogs. Any techs out there have anything better than this?

  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is
    > there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?
    >
    > [email protected]

    Sachs Ergo should work with your wife's setup. The down side is that the Sachs are the older, longer
    style ergo levers that may not work with smaller hands.

    Mike

  10. Dave Mayer

    Dave Mayer Guest

    > Sachs Ergo should work with your wife's setup. The down side is that the Sachs are the older,
    > longer style ergo levers that may not work with
    smaller
    > hands.
    >
    > Mike

    Mike: I have just installed a new Sachs Ergopower 8-speed setup on a bike. I tried an Ultegra
    rear. It overshifted slightly. Same with an XT rear derailleur. In both cases, 6 of 8 the cogs
    shifted well.

    Then I installed a Sachs New Success rear derailleur. Works like a charm. Bottom line: Sachs Ergo
    shifters are not very compatible with Shimano rear derailleurs. I am going to try a Mavic 840
    derailleur next. I've been told that this should work, but so was the Shimano.