Campy Ergo levers on Shimano 8 speed cassette

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is there
any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

[email protected]

C

Campyo

any 8 speed levers would work with the shimano cassette spacing (and rear hub), but I believe you'll
also need to put a campy 8 speed rear derailleur on the bike. the calipers won't matter... it's
campy calipers that can't be used with shimano levers, because campy calipers don't have the release
lever on them.

A

A Muzi

"bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is
> there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

Yes.

Get any Campagnolo Ergo Nine , a Campagnolo rear derailleur, a SRAM or Shimano nine cassette and a
new chain. The levers include a cable set. You can switch the whole thing over in an hour or less
and probably at less cost than replacing the Shimano levers.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

P

Paul Southworth

In article <[email protected]>, bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is
>there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

You can run Campy 8, 9 or 10 speed without replacing the hub or calipers. The calipers are a
non-issue. For 8 or 9 speed you can just use a Shimano cassette. For 10 speed you'd need a
conversion cassette such as the one from American Classic.

Q

Qui Si Parla Ca

bobr-<< My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo.
Is there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?
>><BR><BR>

Can convert any ERGO to 8s, use a Campag rder..or get 9s or 10s ERGO, any Campagnolo rear der,
shimano 9s cassette and chain..

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Q

Qui Si Parla Ca

campyo-<< any 8 speed levers would work with the shimano cassette spacing (and rear hub), but I
believe you'll also need to put a campy 8 speed rear derailleur on the bike. >><BR><BR>

Nope, any Campagnolo rear der will work with ERGO of any speed...

<< it's campy calipers that can't be used with shimano levers, because campy calipers don't have the
release lever on them.
>><BR><BR>

Not true, the lack of QR is only a problem with really fat tires, like 28c....

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

J

Jp

[email protected] (CampyO) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> any 8 speed levers would work with the shimano cassette spacing (and rear hub), but I believe
> you'll also need to put a campy 8 speed rear derailleur on the bike. the calipers won't matter...
> it's campy calipers that can't be used with shimano levers, because campy calipers don't have the
> release lever on them.

If you believe what's at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/icknield_roadclub/docs/newslett.htm#MIX%92N%20M

a Campy 9 lever with a Shimano rear should shift any 8 speed. If I was committed to Campy Ergo
replacement levers I would try it first with the Shimano rear and see how it works (unless I wanted
to change the derailleur anyway), since the worst thing that would happen is you wind up replacing
the derailleur anyway. Maybe keep a little extra length on the shift cable to make sure you don't
have to replace it again if you do decide to replace the derailleur later.

JP

D

Dave Mayer

> My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is
> there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

Bob: I've done this upgrade several times now.

Easiest coversion is to get some 8-speed Ergopower shifters and a Campagnolo rear derailleur from
before 2000. Ebay. Your 8-speed cog spacing is 4.8mm center to center. The Campagnolo wants 5.0mm
spacing, but in practice its usually close enough. Worst case: add a few 7-speed spacers to your
cassette, or a few aluminum beer-can spacers to widen-out the cassette a tad.

Advice: The actuation ratio difference between Shimano and Campagnolo rear derailleurs is so large
that the shifters and deraillers should be matched.

The best information I currently have is the following:

Shimano: 1.67:1 Dura-Ace pre 1998: about 1.8:1 Campagnolo (pre-2000): 1.43:1 Campagnolo (post 1999):
1.50:1 Sachs New Success:: about 1.6:1 SRAM 1:1: 1.0:1

This is the ratio between the shifter cable pull, and how far on average the derailleur moves across
the cogs. Any techs out there have anything better than this?

M

Mike S.

>
> [email protected]
>
Sachs Ergo should work with your wife's setup. The down side is that the Sachs are the older, longer
style ergo levers that may not work with smaller hands.

Mike

D

Dave Mayer

> >
> Sachs Ergo should work with your wife's setup. The down side is that the Sachs are the older,
> longer style ergo levers that may not work with
smaller
> hands.
>
> Mike

Mike: I have just installed a new Sachs Ergopower 8-speed setup on a bike. I tried an Ultegra
rear. It overshifted slightly. Same with an XT rear derailleur. In both cases, 6 of 8 the cogs
shifted well.

Then I installed a Sachs New Success rear derailleur. Works like a charm. Bottom line: Sachs Ergo
shifters are not very compatible with Shimano rear derailleurs. I am going to try a Mavic 840
derailleur next. I've been told that this should work, but so was the Shimano.

Status
Not open for further replies.