Campy Ergo levers on Shimano 8 speed cassette

Status

Bob

Guest
My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is there
any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

[email protected]

Campyo

Guest
any 8 speed levers would work with the shimano cassette spacing (and rear hub), but I believe you'll
also need to put a campy 8 speed rear derailleur on the bike. the calipers won't matter... it's
campy calipers that can't be used with shimano levers, because campy calipers don't have the release
lever on them.

A Muzi

Guest
"bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is
> there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

Yes.

Get any Campagnolo Ergo Nine , a Campagnolo rear derailleur, a SRAM or Shimano nine cassette and a
new chain. The levers include a cable set. You can switch the whole thing over in an hour or less
and probably at less cost than replacing the Shimano levers.

Paul Southworth

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is
>there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

You can run Campy 8, 9 or 10 speed without replacing the hub or calipers. The calipers are a
non-issue. For 8 or 9 speed you can just use a Shimano cassette. For 10 speed you'd need a
conversion cassette such as the one from American Classic.

Qui Si Parla Ca

Guest
bobr-<< My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo.
Is there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?
>><BR><BR>

Can convert any ERGO to 8s, use a Campag rder..or get 9s or 10s ERGO, any Campagnolo rear der,
shimano 9s cassette and chain..

Qui Si Parla Ca

Guest
campyo-<< any 8 speed levers would work with the shimano cassette spacing (and rear hub), but I
believe you'll also need to put a campy 8 speed rear derailleur on the bike. >><BR><BR>

Nope, any Campagnolo rear der will work with ERGO of any speed...

<< it's campy calipers that can't be used with shimano levers, because campy calipers don't have the
release lever on them.
>><BR><BR>

Not true, the lack of QR is only a problem with really fat tires, like 28c....

Jp

Guest
[email protected] (CampyO) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> any 8 speed levers would work with the shimano cassette spacing (and rear hub), but I believe
> you'll also need to put a campy 8 speed rear derailleur on the bike. the calipers won't matter...
> it's campy calipers that can't be used with shimano levers, because campy calipers don't have the
> release lever on them.

If you believe what's at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/icknield_roadclub/docs/newslett.htm#MIX%92N%20M

a Campy 9 lever with a Shimano rear should shift any 8 speed. If I was committed to Campy Ergo
replacement levers I would try it first with the Shimano rear and see how it works (unless I wanted
to change the derailleur anyway), since the worst thing that would happen is you wind up replacing
the derailleur anyway. Maybe keep a little extra length on the shift cable to make sure you don't
have to replace it again if you do decide to replace the derailleur later.

JP

Dave Mayer

Guest
"bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is
> there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?

Bob: I've done this upgrade several times now.

Easiest coversion is to get some 8-speed Ergopower shifters and a Campagnolo rear derailleur from
before 2000. Ebay. Your 8-speed cog spacing is 4.8mm center to center. The Campagnolo wants 5.0mm
spacing, but in practice its usually close enough. Worst case: add a few 7-speed spacers to your
cassette, or a few aluminum beer-can spacers to widen-out the cassette a tad.

Advice: The actuation ratio difference between Shimano and Campagnolo rear derailleurs is so large
that the shifters and deraillers should be matched.

The best information I currently have is the following:

Shimano: 1.67:1 Dura-Ace pre 1998: about 1.8:1 Campagnolo (pre-2000): 1.43:1 Campagnolo (post 1999):
1.50:1 Sachs New Success:: about 1.6:1 SRAM 1:1: 1.0:1

This is the ratio between the shifter cable pull, and how far on average the derailleur moves across
the cogs. Any techs out there have anything better than this?

Mike S.

Guest
"bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My wife's Ultegra STI 8 speed levers are trashed. I want to replace them with a Campy Ergo. Is
> there any Campy Erro set that will work without replacing the calipers and the rear hub?
>
> [email protected]

Sachs Ergo should work with your wife's setup. The down side is that the Sachs are the older, longer
style ergo levers that may not work with smaller hands.

Mike

Dave Mayer

Guest

> Sachs Ergo should work with your wife's setup. The down side is that the Sachs are the older,
> longer style ergo levers that may not work with
smaller
> hands.
>
> Mike

Mike: I have just installed a new Sachs Ergopower 8-speed setup on a bike. I tried an Ultegra
rear. It overshifted slightly. Same with an XT rear derailleur. In both cases, 6 of 8 the cogs
shifted well.

Then I installed a Sachs New Success rear derailleur. Works like a charm. Bottom line: Sachs Ergo
shifters are not very compatible with Shimano rear derailleurs. I am going to try a Mavic 840
derailleur next. I've been told that this should work, but so was the Shimano.

Status
Not open for further replies.