Campy Ergo need lube ?

BikeyGuy

Sep 27, 2003
I have 2 bikes. One with Record and one with Veloce. Both ergo.
Record is great.
The Veloce is HARD to shift. Both shifters. It has always been that way, from day one. I swap out cables and housings every year. Still the same.
Can the mechanism be lubed ? If so, grease ? Oil ? What pivot points ?
I looked at the Campy web site and no help there.
Thanks.

They come from the factory greased with white lithium grease. I'd use that.

FWIW. I have the 'full' range of shifters from MIRAGE to (slightly older ... pre-2007) RECORD, and I am generally indifferent to the difference in how the shifting feels (except on the ones which are within a few thousand miles of needing the G-spring replaced) when they are mounted.

The next time you are servicing BOTH bikes, swap the shifters ... you may then deduce that it is the derailleurs which are attached to the Veloce shifters which need to be lubed/greased -- that is, your maintenance on-and-of your Record group may have been better over the years -- OR, you could just check the 'action' on the Veloce (?) derailleurs on your second bike because the derailleur's return spring significantly 'softens' the relative feel of the engagement when compared to an unmounted shifter & if it is binding/whatever then the derailleur is not doing it's share of the shifting.

If you aren't using Campagnolo cables & housing, then lube them (a very thin coat of grease on the cable OR a shot of SLICK HONEY in the housing should do).

BikeyGuy said:
I have 2 bikes. One with Record and one with Veloce. Both ergo.
Record is great.
The Veloce is HARD to shift. Both shifters. It has always been that way, from day one. I swap out cables and housings every year. Still the same.
Can the mechanism be lubed ? If so, grease ? Oil ? What pivot points ?
I looked at the Campy web site and no help there.
Thanks.

Take them apart if ya can or have a decent LBS do it. Clean and grease thruout. Use any grease, it's just oil in 'soap'. I'd check the under BB guide as well along with the ders, particularly the front in case it's gummed up with 'food', energy drink stuff.

I wouldn't assume that it's hard to shift because it's the mid-range Veloce. Higher end shifters have bearings, while at least the older Veloces have a bushing, but they still shift pretty good. I've never had any problems with mine, and only now, after 10 years, does the rear one need to have its spring replaced (not hard to shift, rather it just gets a little vague on the shifts). I would think that if yours are hard to shift, it's not the shifter (especially if you have the same exact problem with both of them at the same time).