Campy Ergo Overhaul or How can Dave get his Snap back

Dave Reckoning

Guest
I just rebuilt my right Campy ergo lever with new springs, carrier and
ratchet. The result is that the lever indexes well and seems to function
properly but it has lost all "snap" that it used to have. Now the mechanism
moves very easily and nearly silently from gear to gear.

I have done this procedure before without loosing the "snap" so seemed to me
that I must have done something wrong . I took it apart and did it all
again, making sure to wind the springs and use what I believed to be proper
torque on the bolt that holds the whole thing together.

* Have Campy changed the design to make shifting "smoother"? (I think not)

* Is there any way to tell from this description what I may have done wrong?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Dave Reckoning
Noblesville, IN

Dave Reckoning wrote:
> I just rebuilt my right Campy ergo lever with new springs, carrier and
> ratchet. The result is that the lever indexes well and seems to function
> properly but it has lost all "snap" that it used to have. Now the mechanism
> moves very easily and nearly silently from gear to gear.
>
> I have done this procedure before without loosing the "snap" so seemed to me
> that I must have done something wrong . I took it apart and did it all
> again, making sure to wind the springs and use what I believed to be proper
> torque on the bolt that holds the whole thing together.
>
> * Have Campy changed the design to make shifting "smoother"? (I think not)
>
> * Is there any way to tell from this description what I may have done wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance for advice.

Did you by chance use heavy grease?

Dave Reckoning wrote:
> I just rebuilt my right Campy ergo lever with new springs, carrier and
> ratchet. The result is that the lever indexes well and seems to function
> properly but it has lost all "snap" that it used to have. Now the mechanism
> moves very easily and nearly silently from gear to gear.
>
> I have done this procedure before without loosing the "snap" so seemed to me
> that I must have done something wrong . I took it apart and did it all
> again, making sure to wind the springs and use what I believed to be proper
> torque on the bolt that holds the whole thing together.
>
> * Have Campy changed the design to make shifting "smoother"? (I think not)
>
> * Is there any way to tell from this description what I may have done wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance for advice.
>
> Dave Reckoning
> Noblesville, IN

May have not wound the 'watch' spring up properly if the lever is a
1998 and later, is my guess. All I suggest is send it to me and I'll
make siure it is assembled properly. Also, you 'may' have a split
spring carrier, EC-RE-111...