campy ergo overhaul

Jonathan Murray

Guest
Does anyone out there know by what mechanism the thumb part of an ergo
power lever is returned? Currently I can't seem to figure out how to get
the thumb part to return after I press it down. It just stays down. If I
losen the 3 mm bolt then it works, but the whole assembly is very
sloppy. I tried using the directions from Zinn's book, but they weren't
precise enough and there are no photos. Better yet can someone recommend
a good ergo power overhaul manual or reference? Does anyone know if ergo
power overhaul is in the park manual?

thanks

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:10:42 -0500, Jonathan Murray <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Does anyone out there know by what mechanism the thumb part of an ergo
>power lever is returned? Currently I can't seem to figure out how to get
>the thumb part to return after I press it down. It just stays down. If I
>losen the 3 mm bolt then it works, but the whole assembly is very
>sloppy. I tried using the directions from Zinn's book, but they weren't
>precise enough and there are no photos. Better yet can someone recommend
>a good ergo power overhaul manual or reference? Does anyone know if ergo
>power overhaul is in the park manual?
>
>thanks

Dear Jonathan

Andrew Muzi gives you a good idea of what's involved:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Jonathan Murray wrote:
> I tried using the directions from Zinn's book, but they weren't
> precise enough and there are no photos.

Sounds exactly like Todd Downs book, lol.

Jonathan Murray wrote:
> Does anyone out there know by what mechanism the thumb part of an ergo
> power lever is returned? Currently I can't seem to figure out how to get
> the thumb part to return after I press it down. It just stays down. If I
> losen the 3 mm bolt then it works, but the whole assembly is very
> sloppy. I tried using the directions from Zinn's book, but they weren't
> precise enough and there are no photos. Better yet can someone recommend
> a good ergo power overhaul manual or reference? Does anyone know if ergo
> power overhaul is in the park manual?

Use the Campagnolo version here:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Jan 17, 8:10 am, Jonathan Murray <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anyone out there know by what mechanism the thumb part of an ergo
> power lever is returned? Currently I can't seem to figure out how to get
> the thumb part to return after I press it down. It just stays down. If I
> losen the 3 mm bolt then it works, but the whole assembly is very
> sloppy. I tried using the directions from Zinn's book, but they weren't
> precise enough and there are no photos. Better yet can someone recommend
> a good ergo power overhaul manual or reference? Does anyone know if ergo
> power overhaul is in the park manual?
>
> thanks

There was an earlier article that I could not find today, and the
author asked about what the cause of a functional problem he described.
I ask because it sounded to me as though the thumb lever spring was at
fault and I am just ondering if that was you and the problem is now
confirmed.?

TIA

A Muzi wrote:
> Jonathan Murray wrote:
>> Does anyone out there know by what mechanism the thumb part of an ergo
>> power lever is returned? Currently I can't seem to figure out how to
>> get the thumb part to return after I press it down. It just stays
>> down. If I losen the 3 mm bolt then it works, but the whole assembly
>> is very sloppy. I tried using the directions from Zinn's book, but
>> they weren't precise enough and there are no photos. Better yet can
>> someone recommend a good ergo power overhaul manual or reference? Does
>> anyone know if ergo power overhaul is in the park manual?

> Use the Campagnolo version here:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

Thanks all, I'll give that a shot, on a first glance it looks like my
ergo levers didn't come with some parts they appear to need. On my left
lever I have no bushing where the center of the flat compensation washer
connects. As it never had the part, it's amazing it ever worked.

thanks again.

A Muzi wrote:
> Jonathan Murray wrote:
> > Does anyone out there know by what mechanism the thumb part of an ergo
> > power lever is returned? Currently I can't seem to figure out how to get
> > the thumb part to return after I press it down. It just stays down. If I
> > losen the 3 mm bolt then it works, but the whole assembly is very
> > sloppy. I tried using the directions from Zinn's book, but they weren't
> > precise enough and there are no photos. Better yet can someone recommend
> > a good ergo power overhaul manual or reference? Does anyone know if ergo
> > power overhaul is in the park manual?

> Use the Campagnolo version here:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html
>
> --

Agree, Andy has both the official Campy version and a nice write up by
Paul Southworth.

For video, check out Youtube, it has a video on both assembly and
disassembly.

http://www.campyonly.com/howto/ergo_rebuild.html

Mike Lackey
Madison, AL

"Jonathan Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone out there know by what mechanism the thumb part of an ergo
> power lever is returned? Currently I can't seem to figure out how to get
> the thumb part to return after I press it down. It just stays down. If I
> losen the 3 mm bolt then it works, but the whole assembly is very sloppy.
> I tried using the directions from Zinn's book, but they weren't precise
> enough and there are no photos. Better yet can someone recommend a good
> ergo power overhaul manual or reference? Does anyone know if ergo power
> overhaul is in the park manual?
>
> thanks

In article <[email protected]>,
Jonathan Murray <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone out there know by what mechanism the thumb part of an ergo
> power lever is returned? Currently I can't seem to figure out how to get
> the thumb part to return after I press it down. It just stays down. If I
> losen the 3 mm bolt then it works, but the whole assembly is very
> sloppy. I tried using the directions from Zinn's book, but they weren't
> precise enough and there are no photos. Better yet can someone recommend
> a good ergo power overhaul manual or reference? Does anyone know if ergo
> power overhaul is in the park manual?

Search on Youtube.com and you'll get the full instruction by video.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=campagnolo&search=Search
--

Jonathan Murray wrote:
> Does anyone out there know by what mechanism the thumb part of an ergo
> power lever is returned?

Sure, it's a spring with a 'post' on it.

Currently I can't seem to figure out how to get
> the thumb part to return after I press it down. It just stays down. If I
> losen the 3 mm bolt then it works, but the whole assembly is very
> sloppy. I tried using the directions from Zinn's book, but they weren't
> precise enough and there are no photos. Better yet can someone recommend
> a good ergo power overhaul manual or reference? Does anyone know if ergo
> power overhaul is in the park manual?
>
> thanks

If ya want, sent it to me and I'll OVH, one day turn around. I'm
suspecting it is not reassembled in the proper order, to cause what you
are seeing.

thanks to everyone's suggestions. I the bushing that haold the center of
the flat compensation washer was installed in the wrong place. It works
perfectly now.

thanks all

Jonathan