Campy Ergo Rebuild Question...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bfd, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    I have a 2000 Campy Record 9 Ergo levers and recently bought some new g springs, Thanks Peter!, as
    the click in my shifter started getting soft; to the point of almost no "click" in the lower
    gears, e.g., shifting from 12 to 13, or 13 to 14. The problem is I'm having a heck of a time
    getting the last spring (EC-RE055) wound up and hooked on the spring carrier arm (EC-RE111). Any
    tips? Thanks, Brewster

    Tags:

  2. Campy Addict

    Campy Addict Guest

    Heres a breakdown:

    http://campyonly.com/howto/ergo_rebuild.html

    ****LONG LIVE ELECTRONIC SHIFTING****

  3. [email protected] (bfd) writes:
    > I have a 2000 Campy Record 9 Ergo levers and recently bought some new g springs, Thanks Peter!, as
    > the click in my shifter started getting soft; to the point of almost no "click" in the lower
    > gears, e.g., shifting from 12 to 13, or 13 to 14. The problem is I'm having a heck of a time
    > getting the last spring (EC-RE055) wound up and hooked on the spring carrier arm (EC-RE111). Any
    > tips? Thanks, Brewster

    I didn't find getting the last spring wound up was a big problem. I put the spring into the key of
    the center bushing, then I snugged that bolt down without the big washer. I used a the top of a pick
    to bring the hook around and over the edge of the body, while pressing down on the center of the
    spring with my thumb to keep it in a plane. Then I carefully removed the bolt, added the flat washer
    (which is keyed on one side for the center bushing) and then replaced the bolt.

    I had a much harder time installing the spring that tensions the thumb shifter.

    This was on a right-hand 2001 Daytona shifter, which I converted from 9spd to 8spd for a
    friend of mine.

    Morgan

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    bfd wrote:
    > I have a 2000 Campy Record 9 Ergo levers and recently bought some new g springs, Thanks Peter!, as
    > the click in my shifter started getting soft; to the point of almost no "click" in the lower
    > gears, e.g., shifting from 12 to 13, or 13 to 14. The problem is I'm having a heck of a time
    > getting the last spring (EC-RE055) wound up and hooked on the spring carrier arm (EC-RE111). Any
    > tips? Thanks, Brewster

    Better and fuller instructions than CampyOnly's: http://www.velonews.com/tech/rev/levers.html

    Must admit, though, that I'm not sure I've done mine _properly_.

    ~PB

  5. bfd-<< The problem is I'm having a heck of a time getting the last spring (EC-RE055) wound up and
    hooked on the spring carrier arm (EC-RE111). Any tips?

    Get all the guts together w/o that spring. 'Shift' into the largest cog-that is shift it all the way
    up. Insert the end of the spring in the thru bolt, wrap it around the EC-RE-111 post, THEN remove
    the center bolt and replace the plate, install the center bolt. RThis makes the tension the least
    when you install the spring. It should hold toegether when you take the center bolt out but keep
    your thumb on the spring to keep it from canting.