Campy Ergo shifter... overhaul needed?

Ron Ruff

Guest
My 2006 Veloce right shifter has started acting strange. While in the
smallest rear cogs, shifting to a bigger cog feels soft... the
pressure is light and there is hardly a click. Shifting the other
direction feels fine, and also shifting while in the larger cogs feels
ok. I replaced the cable a few months ago, so I don't think that is
it. The shifter has about 8k miles of use.

Is the shifter in need of an overhaul? If so, what parts do I need and
where is a good place to get them online? Thanks..

Ron Ruff wrote:
> My 2006 Veloce right shifter has started acting strange. While in the
> smallest rear cogs, shifting to a bigger cog feels soft... the
> pressure is light and there is hardly a click. Shifting the other
> direction feels fine, and also shifting while in the larger cogs feels
> ok. I replaced the cable a few months ago, so I don't think that is
> it. The shifter has about 8k miles of use.
> Is the shifter in need of an overhaul? If so, what parts do I need and
> where is a good place to get them online? Thanks..

It's rebuild time. New G-springs $9.95/pr at any competent LBS.
Good time to look at gear and brake wires, casing, tape etc.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi <[email protected]> writes:
> Ron Ruff wrote:
> > My 2006 Veloce right shifter has started acting strange. While in the
> > smallest rear cogs, shifting to a bigger cog feels soft... the
> > pressure is light and there is hardly a click. Shifting the other
> > direction feels fine, and also shifting while in the larger cogs feels
> > ok. I replaced the cable a few months ago, so I don't think that is
> > it. The shifter has about 8k miles of use.
> > Is the shifter in need of an overhaul? If so, what parts do I need and
> > where is a good place to get them online? Thanks..

> It's rebuild time. New G-springs $9.95/pr at any competent LBS.
> Good time to look at gear and brake wires, casing, tape etc.

In that direction (assuming "big" means "more teeth") it does sound
like a shifter problem, the other way I'd first suspect a problem with
the return spring in the rear derailleur. (Though in my case it just
turned out to be a case of excess dirt and no lubrication. Do check
the rear derailleur in any case, though, already because it is so much
easier than doing any work the shifter.)

The rear der seems fine. At any rate I'd expect it to not shift to a
*smaller* cog if there was something gummed up in the system. Instead
it feels fine going that direction... it's just losing the click going
from small cogs to big. In fact the force needed to shift from small
to big is lower than it used to be. Looks like I will need the G
springs pretty soon in any case.