Campy Ergo Shifter - Rebuild or Upgrade?

Arthur Shapiro

Guest
Well, I knew it was coming. The last few weeks, the rear shifting on my2002
Campy Chorus 2x10 Habanero has gotten quite sloppy. It seems to overshoot or
undershoot at random in both directions, and once in a great while upshifting
fails to do anything at all until I first flick the downshift lever.

It's time to rebuild - right? I haven't tackled this before, and despite
being a pretty competent mechanic it seems a bit intimidating. (Is that a
fair assessment?) Aside from frame repairs or really exotic repair issues
that might crop up every few years, nobody touches my bicycle but I.

But in the back of my mind is replacing them with 2004 Record shifters. Yeah,
they're expensive, but the folks at the Supergo chain (they're about my
closest local shop, having a store a couple miles from home) are having a sale
for under $250 this week. They look attractive, supposedly shift even better
than the earlier ones, and of course would defer the learning curve for the
Ergo overhaul.

Part of me says this is a silly potential expenditure, as the Chorus has
always been a pleasure to use and I have 'em anyway. The other part of me
says I put lots of miles on the machine, ride four days a week with the club,
spend a fair amount of my non-working time in the saddle, and deserve the
luxury of the top-o'-the-line stuff.

Sometimes an impartial third party can be valuable. Whatcha all think?

Art

>Well, I knew it was coming. The last few weeks, the rear shifting on my2002
>Campy Chorus 2x10 Habanero has gotten quite sloppy. It seems to overshoot or
>undershoot at random in both directions, and once in a great while upshifting
>fails to do anything at all until I first flick the downshift lever.
>It's time to rebuild - right? I haven't tackled this before, and despite
>being a pretty competent mechanic it seems a bit intimidating. (Is that a
>fair assessment?) Aside from frame repairs or really exotic repair issues
>that might crop up every few years, nobody touches my bicycle but I.
>But in the back of my mind is replacing them with 2004 Record shifters. Yeah,
>they're expensive, but the folks at the Supergo chain (they're about my
>closest local shop, having a store a couple miles from home) are having a sale
>for under $250 this week. They look attractive, supposedly shift even better
>than the earlier ones, and of course would defer the learning curve for the
>Ergo overhaul.
>Part of me says this is a silly potential expenditure, as the Chorus has
>always been a pleasure to use and I have 'em anyway. The other part of me
>says I put lots of miles on the machine, ride four days a week with the club,
>spend a fair amount of my non-working time in the saddle, and deserve the
>luxury of the top-o'-the-line stuff.
>Sometimes an impartial third party can be valuable. Whatcha all think?

If you can afford the new levers, get them. Each new part on the biks is
good for at least a .03 mph increase in your average speed. :)
----------------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez wrote in message ...
>>If you can afford the new levers, get them. Each new part on the biks is

>good for at least a .03 mph increase in your average speed. :)
>----------------
>Alex

Rolling resistance reduced through empty wallet.
TJ

In article <[email protected]>,
Arthur Shapiro <[email protected]> wrote:
>It seems to overshoot or
>undershoot at random in both directions, and once in a great while upshifting
>fails to do anything at all until I first flick the downshift lever.

Shifter lockup happens when the thumb shifter fails to return which can be
due to a weak spring.

>But in the back of my mind is replacing them with 2004 Record shifters. Yeah,
>they're expensive, but the folks at the Supergo chain (they're about my
>closest local shop, having a store a couple miles from home) are having a sale
>for under $250 this week.

The G-springs (2) and thumb button return spring (1) are under $5 each.

--
Life is a terminal sexually transmitted disease.

Buy new one and send your old ones to me.................
"Arthur Shapiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, I knew it was coming. The last few weeks, the rear shifting on

my2002
> Campy Chorus 2x10 Habanero has gotten quite sloppy. It seems to overshoot

or
> undershoot at random in both directions, and once in a great while

upshifting
> fails to do anything at all until I first flick the downshift lever.
>
> It's time to rebuild - right? I haven't tackled this before, and despite
> being a pretty competent mechanic it seems a bit intimidating. (Is that a
> fair assessment?) Aside from frame repairs or really exotic repair issues
> that might crop up every few years, nobody touches my bicycle but I.
>
> But in the back of my mind is replacing them with 2004 Record shifters.

Yeah,
> they're expensive, but the folks at the Supergo chain (they're about my
> closest local shop, having a store a couple miles from home) are having a

sale
> for under $250 this week. They look attractive, supposedly shift even

better
> than the earlier ones, and of course would defer the learning curve for

the
> Ergo overhaul.
>
> Part of me says this is a silly potential expenditure, as the Chorus has
> always been a pleasure to use and I have 'em anyway. The other part of me
> says I put lots of miles on the machine, ride four days a week with the

club,
> spend a fair amount of my non-working time in the saddle, and deserve the
> luxury of the top-o'-the-line stuff.
>
> Sometimes an impartial third party can be valuable. Whatcha all think?
>
> Art

art-<< The last few weeks, the rear shifting on my2002
Campy Chorus 2x10 Habanero has gotten quite sloppy. It seems to overshoot or
undershoot at random in both directions, and once in a great while upshifting
>><BR><BR>

<< They look attractive, supposedly shift even better
than the earlier ones, and of course would defer the learning curve for the
Ergo overhaul. >><BR><BR>

The 2002 and 2004 shifters shift the same, same innards.

I'd say get 'em overhauled. Send them to me, I turn them around in one day.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

>The 2002 and 2004 shifters shift the same, same innards.

That's the factual argument that sways the decision. Thank you!

>I'd say get 'em overhauled. Send them to me, I turn them around in one day.

I try to do all my own maintenance, so my first approach will be to reread
your (and other) previous discussions of what I need to do. Even FedExing it
to you would cause me to miss club rides - my only other cycle is the crappy
Klein Quantum that's up in the garage rafters only because I've lacked the
gumption to throw it into the Pacific.

Thanks for the input, everyone. In the worst case, I can probably get by
until the two weekday club rides end as Standard Time nears, giving me the
luxury of between-weekend days to perform the repair. The first time will be
the hardest.

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) writes:

>art-<< The last few weeks, the rear shifting on my2002
>Campy Chorus 2x10 Habanero has gotten quite sloppy. It seems to
>overshoot or
>undershoot at random in both directions, and once in a great while
>upshifting

>I'd say get 'em overhauled. Send them to me, I turn them around in

one day.

Nay, send them to me and buy the new ones at SuperGo. I generously
offer to recycle all your worn, useless campagnolo parts... :) :)
These are throwaway items just like shimano! *grin*.

- Don "Wishful Thinking" Gillies
San Diego, CA