Campy Ergo's with Ultegra drivetrain?

Kovie

Guest
I'm building up a road bike and will probably go with Ultegras for the price/performance. However,
I've heard that Ultegra STI's are poorly made and fall apart after a year or two, or at least become
really pokey, and can't really be fixed. (If this is not true, or if Shimano has beefed up the
Ultegras in recent years, please let me know.)

So I'm wondering if it's possible to go with Campy Ergo's instead, and keep everything else Ultegra.
If this is possible, are there any drawbacks? E.g. will shifting be less smooth and precise? Also,
which non-Record Campy's should I go with, if this can be made to work?

Note that I'm going with a triple setup, so the cranks, BB, rear and front derailleurs will all be
Ultegra triple, although I might get a 105 cassette to take advantage of a sale ($18 at Nashbar
after the 10% discount).

--
Kovie [email protected]

"Kovie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:hmtkb.814291$YN5.824111@sccrnsc01...

> So I'm wondering if it's possible to go with Campy Ergo's instead, and
keep
> everything else Ultegra. If this is possible, are there any drawbacks?
E.g.
> will shifting be less smooth and precise?

I have done this when my Ultegra levers had gotten sloppy and rattly - kept the Ultegra bb, brakes,
front der, chainwheels and cranks - works flawlessly with 10 sp Campy levers and rear der.

Love the clean look and feel of less visable cables and like having the brake releases both on the
brakes and on the Ergo levers. Once you get used to the buttons on the Ergos I doubt you will be
going back.

Also, which non-Record Campy's
> should I go with, if this can be made to work?

Only thing I would do differently now is go with Centaur not Chorus - much better value and no
noticeable performance difference for this weekend warrior and I suspect for most of us. A removeble
link makes cleaning and packing much easier (I think standard Campy chains do not come with this but
the Wipperman chains do).

> Note that I'm going with a triple setup, so the cranks, BB, rear and front derailleurs will all be
> Ultegra triple, although I might get a 105
cassette
> to take advantage of a sale ($18 at Nashbar after the 10% discount).

Mines a double chainwheel but pretty sure Campy do a triple in Centaur and Chorus - with 10sp you
get a huge range of cassettes even, dare I say it, more than you really need but it is nice

hope you get a good result - I was really pleased with doing this - best Andrew

Ergos will handle a triple. 10 spd ergo levers w/9spd shimano works very well. I route my cable to
the rdr in the non standard way. Excellent shifting.

(remove clothes to reply)

"B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ergos will handle a triple. 10 spd ergo levers w/9spd shimano works very
well.
> I route my cable to the rdr in the non standard way. Excellent shifting.

> (remove clothes to reply)

Why didn't you all by Campagnolo in the first place ?

Graham

you use ergo's with a shimano rear der?

i had always heard that you can't do that.

>>Why didn't you all by Campagnolo in the first place ?
>
>I also have a XTR rdr so I can put on a 34 tooth rear cassette if needed. B

Is your rear derailleur a Shimano or Campy, and which model? Which of your drivetrain components
other than the shifters are Campy?

--
Kovie [email protected]

"B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ergos will handle a triple. 10 spd ergo levers w/9spd shimano works very
well.
> I route my cable to the rdr in the non standard way. Excellent shifting.

> (remove clothes to reply)

If you're buying new it might be worth getting Campagnolo F/RD and going with an American
Classic/Bill Shook cassette. Alfred E bike sells these for a reasonable cost and they have worked
great for me. I'd second, or third or whatever the Centaur recommendation. Any crank will work, I
eventually went for a truativ to use an ISIS bb. If cost is an issue, Shimano 105 or Tekro brakes
are I think the best bang for the buck.

What if I decide to get a Centaur rdr. Will this work with an Ultegra 9spd cassette? The price
difference isn't that great and I like the look of the Campy's, plus I won't need to adjust anything
to make it work, provided they're compatible with Ultegra cassettes.

Also, if I'm going with a front triple and decide to get a Centaur fdr (might as well match what I
have in back), will I need a Campy triple crankset & bb, or will Ultegra triple cranks & bb work
with a Campy fdr?

--
Kovie [email protected]

"CBike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It works providing you approach it realizing there is a difference in
cable
> pull between Campy and Shimano. HubBub's page has a description and
several
> pictures showing the required cable anchor on the derailler.
>
> www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm
>
> We've used this same setup on several bikes; tandems, touring and road
with
> equally good results. It's another creative option cyclists have come up with such as respacing
> cassettes or using a 9 speed Shimano cassette with Campy derailer /
shifters.

> Charlie Myer Indiana

From following this thread it looks like hat it's possible to use Ergo shifters with Shimano 9s
cassettes using either a Campy or Shimano rear derailleur. The Ergo-Campy rdr works out of the box,
so to speak, while the Ergo-Shimano rdr requires a bit of tweaking, but can be made to work quite
well. However, I'm still a bit confused as to which Ergo shifters to get. Are you saying that with a
Shimano rdr I can use 10s Ergos, or would 9s be better?

What if I decide to go with a Campy rdr, do I need the 9s or 10s rdr and/or Ergos, or would both
work just as well in any combo? Ideally, I'd like to go with 10s on both, to allow for future
upgradability to a full 10s Campy setup.

--
Kovie [email protected]

"B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ergos will handle a triple. 10 spd ergo levers w/9spd shimano works very
well.
> I route my cable to the rdr in the non standard way. Excellent shifting.

> (remove clothes to reply)

> From following this thread it looks like hat it's possible to use Ergo shifters with Shimano 9s
> cassettes using either a Campy or Shimano rear derailleur. The Ergo-Campy rdr works out of the
> box, so to speak, while
the
> Ergo-Shimano rdr requires a bit of tweaking, but can be made to work quite well. However, I'm
> still a bit confused as to which Ergo shifters to get. Are you saying that with a Shimano rdr I
> can use 10s Ergos, or would 9s be better?
>
> What if I decide to go with a Campy rdr, do I need the 9s or 10s rdr
and/or
> Ergos, or would both work just as well in any combo? Ideally, I'd like to
go
> with 10s on both, to allow for future upgradability to a full 10s Campy setup.
>
> --
> Kovie [email protected]

Here's the deal. You have a few options:

1. You can use a Campy 9 rear derailleur(9's and 10's don't really matter here) and Campy 9 ERGO's
with a Shimano 9 cassette (which will come with lock ring that fits your current wheel set). The
match isn't perfect and you'll have to do a bit of tweaking to get it right but results run from
'acceptable' to 'very good'. This is what I'm currently running and I find it to work pretty well
but not perfect.

2. You can use a Campy 9 rear derailleur with Campy 10 ERGO's and a Shimano 9 cassette. This
requires that you route the rear derailleur cable slightly differently which modifies the
behavior of the rear derailleur. I haven't tried it myself (my ERGOs are 9's) but reports seem to
suggest that results vary from 'good' to 'perfect'.

3. You can run a Campy 9 rear dreailleur, Campy 9 ERGOs and use an third party cassette that will
fit on your Shimano compatible hubs and will also match the ERGO spacing. This is probably the
simplest option but the cassettes aren't cheap. Also, I've heard that some manufacturer's
cassettes are better than others but I don't have any personal experience. If I can't get my
Shimano 9/Campy 9 setup to work any better than it currently does than I will probably try this
option next.

As for cranks and front derailleur, you can run anything you want. Campy front shifting is triple
capable out of the box and will work with any triple front derailleur. In my opinion, Campy cranks
look nicer as well. People will argue, but I think Centaur makes the most sense. Lot's of bang for
you buck, probably better than Ultegra and cheaper as well. That said, I have Veloce components and
find them to be as good if not better than 105. I haven't been disappointed.

If you still haven't bought more than the brakes and wheels, then I would recommend a Centaur 9
group, and perhaps 10 speed ERGO levers. You'll have to fiddle with the cable a bit to make it work
with a 9 cassette but you'll be able to upgrade to 10 later if you want, which seemed to be a
priority for you.

Thanks. I didn't know that the Ergo 10s were smoother than the 9s in such a setup. I assume that
since you didn't give it as an option, using a Campy 10s rdr is not going to work, nor a 10s fdr?

Also, the 3rd option you listed won't work for me, because the Mavic hubs on the Cosmos (M9) won't
work with these cassettes, because the biggest cog will be too close to the spokes (or something to
that effect).

I'm starting to wonder if perhaps returning the wheels and going all-Campy might not be the best
option. It would cost me a bit more than I'd hoped, but hey, this will hopefully last me for years.

--
Kovie [email protected]

news:[email protected]...

"Kovie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:YWOkb.188469$%h1.178023@sccrnsc02...
> Thanks. I didn't know that the Ergo 10s were smoother than the 9s in such
> setup. I assume that since you didn't give it as an option, using a Campy 10s rdr is not going to
> work, nor a 10s fdr?
>
> Also, the 3rd option you listed won't work for me, because the Mavic hubs
on
> the Cosmos (M9) won't work with these cassettes, because the biggest cog will be too close to the
> spokes (or something to that effect).
>
> I'm starting to wonder if perhaps returning the wheels and going all-Campy might not be the
> best option. It would cost me a bit more than I'd hoped, but hey, this will hopefully last me
> for years.
>
> --
> Kovie [email protected]

Kovie,

Actually the 10s rdr isn't a problem. Rear derailleurs aren't really 9's and 10's even though
they're marked and sold that way. The cable pull is all in the ERGO shifter so it doesn't matter
which one you use. Front derailleurs don't matter either. A 9's fdr or a 10's fdr are basically the
same animal. As long as you're running a 9's chain and 9's cranks you shouldn't encounter a problem.

I don't know why your Mavic hubs won't accept a 3rd-party cassette. They're set up to work with
Shimano compatible hubs. I could see that there might be an issue with an 11 cog but you could
always get a Marchisio cassette that starts with a 12 or 13. Most people don't really need an 11
anyway so you're not losing anything. I wouldn't return your wheel set because there are advantages
to having a Shimano compatible hub. Mainly, that you can run a wider variety of cassettes. Campy
cassettes are a bit limiting if you want anything larger than a 27 or 28 big cog in the rear.

Rob Strickland

So, you're saying that any combination of the following setup will work equally well:

Shimano hub + Shimano 9s cassette + Campy 9s OR 10s rdr + Campy 9s OR 10s fdr + Campy 9s OR 10s Ergo
+ 9s chain (any brand) + 9s triple cranks/bb (any brand) = 9s drivetrain that's as good as a
standard 9s gruppo from either Shimano or Campy (or at least as good as is possible when combining
Campy and Shimano)

If so, then I think that the following would probably be the least expensive 9s setup for now, and
the cheapest and easiest to upgrade to a 10s later:

Shimano hub + Shimano 9s cassette + Campy 9s rdr + Campy 9s fdr + Campy 10s Ergo + 9s chain (any
brand) + 9s triple cranks/bb (any brand).

To upgrade to a 10s drivetrain I'd just have to replace the 9s cassette and chain with their 10s
versions. Correct? Or is there something I'm missing here? Campy's site seems to say that 9s rdrs &
fdrs only work with 9s Ergos, and 10s rdrs & fdrs only work with 10s Ergos. Is this marketing hype
designed to keep people buying the latest and greatest, or is there some truth to this?

Incidentally, is there really such a thing as a 9s vs. 10s crank?

As for the incompatible 3rd party cassette, the company that makes these specfically says that they
won't work with these hubs, because the biggest cog on these cassettes is too close to the spokes
and the chain would rub against them.

--
Kovie [email protected]

"Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Kovie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:YWOkb.188469$%h1.178023@sccrnsc02...
> > Thanks. I didn't know that the Ergo 10s were smoother than the 9s in
such
> > setup. I assume that since you didn't give it as an option, using a
Campy
> > 10s rdr is not going to work, nor a 10s fdr?
> >
> > Also, the 3rd option you listed won't work for me, because the Mavic
hubs
> on
> > the Cosmos (M9) won't work with these cassettes, because the biggest cog will be too close to
> > the spokes (or something to that effect).
> >
> > I'm starting to wonder if perhaps returning the wheels and going
all-Campy
> > might not be the best option. It would cost me a bit more than I'd
hoped,
> > but hey, this will hopefully last me for years.
> >
> > --
> > Kovie [email protected]
>

> Kovie,
>
> Actually the 10s rdr isn't a problem. Rear derailleurs aren't really 9's
and
> 10's even though they're marked and sold that way. The cable pull is all
in
> the ERGO shifter so it doesn't matter which one you use. Front derailleurs don't matter either. A
> 9's fdr or a 10's fdr are basically the same
animal.
> As long as you're running a 9's chain and 9's cranks you shouldn't
encounter
> a problem.
>
> I don't know why your Mavic hubs won't accept a 3rd-party cassette.
They're
> set up to work with Shimano compatible hubs. I could see that there might
be
> an issue with an 11 cog but you could always get a Marchisio cassette that starts with a 12 or 13.
> Most people don't really need an 11 anyway so
you're
> not losing anything. I wouldn't return your wheel set because there are advantages to having a
> Shimano compatible hub. Mainly, that you can run a wider variety of cassettes. Campy cassettes are
> a bit limiting if you want anything larger than a 27 or 28 big cog in the rear.
>
> Rob Strickland

> Shimano hub + Shimano 9s cassette + Campy 9s OR 10s rdr + Campy 9s OR 10s fdr + Campy 9s OR 10s
> Ergo + 9s chain (any brand) + 9s triple cranks/bb
(any
> brand) = 9s drivetrain that's as good as a standard 9s gruppo from either Shimano or Campy (or at
> least as good as is possible when combining Campy and Shimano)

Yes, understanding that if you go with 9's ERGO shifters then you'll have to fiddle with the rear
derailleur a bit. If you go with 10's ERGO shifters then you'll have to use the 'special' cable
routing on the rear derailleur. Either way it isn't too difficult, although the latter seems to get
the best results.

> If so, then I think that the following would probably be the least
expensive
> 9s setup for now, and the cheapest and easiest to upgrade to a 10s later:
>
> Shimano hub + Shimano 9s cassette + Campy 9s rdr + Campy 9s fdr + Campy
10s
> Ergo + 9s chain (any brand) + 9s triple cranks/bb (any brand).

Looks good.

> To upgrade to a 10s drivetrain I'd just have to replace the 9s cassette
and
> chain with their 10s versions. Correct? Or is there something I'm missing here? Campy's site seems
> to say that 9s rdrs & fdrs only work with 9s
Ergos,
> and 10s rdrs & fdrs only work with 10s Ergos. Is this marketing hype designed to keep people
> buying the latest and greatest, or is there some truth to this?

You'll have to replace the cassette and chain minimum. You may have trouble with your rear hub
accepting a Shimano (or Campy) 10's cassette. It sounds like the Mavic hubs are a little funky. A
true Shimano 9's hub will take the new 10's cassette, or so I hear.

You're correct about Campy trying to market the latests and greatest. There's really no difference
between 9's and 10's as far as fdrs and rdrs are concerned. I understand that the 10's fdr has a
removeable plastic piece to make it slightly narrower (for a narrower chain) but that in essence
it's the same as the 9's fdr.

> Incidentally, is there really such a thing as a 9s vs. 10s crank?

No difference in crank functionality, per se, although with Campy you should understand that often
it is the case that this year's Centaur is the same as last years Chorus. Therefore, there may be
some cosmetic and/or weight differences between a 9's crank and a 10'. Some have claimed that the
10's chain rings are slightly narrower but have reported that there is no apparent functional
difference and that 9's and 10's chains run equally well. I've heard that a 9 speed chain (and I
presume 10) will sometimes tend to get caught on a 8 speed chain ring but that shouldn't be an issue
for you. In fact, you could save yourself a little money by buying an all 9 speed group except for
the ERGO shifters. That way you're guaranteed compatibility between the Campy parts and using the
cable re-routing method you should have good compatiblity between the rdr and Mavic hub.

> As for the incompatible 3rd party cassette, the company that makes these specfically says that
> they won't work with these hubs, because the biggest cog on these cassettes is too close to the
> spokes and the chain would rub against them.

Strange, but it sounds like they would know. Nonetheless, unless you're super picky about
drive-train performance I don't see any reason to sell the wheel set and at least one reason to keep
it (greater choice of cassettes). Shimano hubs have the reputation for being a bit more durable than
Campy but whether that's true and what that says about Mavic hubs, I don't know. Feel free to
contact me off the group if you have any more questions. I tried to email you directly but your
address wouldn't work. I'm off to go for a ride on my Shimagnolo equipped touring bike.

> [...]

animal.
> As long as you're running a 9's chain and 9's cranks you shouldn't
encounter
> a problem.
>
> I don't know why your Mavic hubs won't accept a 3rd-party cassette.
They're
> set up to work with Shimano compatible hubs. I could see that there might
be
> an issue with an 11 cog but you could always get a Marchisio cassette that starts with a 12 or 13.
> Most people don't really need an 11 anyway so
you're
> not losing anything. I wouldn't return your wheel set because there are advantages to having a
> Shimano compatible hub. Mainly, that you can run a wider variety of cassettes. Campy cassettes are
> a bit limiting if you want anything larger than a 27 or 28 big cog in the rear.

Thanks Rob. I spam-proof my net news emails address by adding 4 letters at the end. You have to
manually strip these off to email me. Can't tell you which as that makes it easier for the spam
bots, but it's really easy to figure out. But if it's just as well with you I'd rather keep this
thread online, so that others as befuddled as myself about all these details can benefit from it.

I'm leaning towards getting all 9s Campy components, including the Ergos, for price reasons, and to
keep it all in the same line. If you say that the 9s fdr is equivalent to the 10s fdr, and the 9s
rdr and 9s Ergos can be converted to 10s, then that's good enough for me and I'll deal with it when
I need to, assuming they ever comes out with a 10s casssette that works with these hubs.

However, you also said that this won't shift as smoothly as 10s Ergos with the special routing. Why
is that, and what kind of non-smoothness would I be likely to notice? E.g. trimming needed with
every shift, clunky shifting, misshifting, chain falling off cogs and/or chainrings, etc.?

As for replacing the wheels with Campy-compatible ones, I doubt I'll do that. Just the wheel swap
would cost me $100, and the 10s components are more expensive as well, so this will cost me
something around $200, just to get one more gear that I don't really need for the kind of riding
that I do, or would like to do. Like I said, if and when I someday want to upgrade to 10s, I'll deal
with it then. All other things being equal, though, I'd rather get components now that will make
this easier and perhaps less expensive later, so long as they in no way compromise performance or
reliability now.

--
> [...]

but
> whether that's true and what that says about Mavic hubs, I don't know.
Feel
> free to contact me off the group if you have any more questions. I tried
> email you directly but your address wouldn't work. I'm off to go for a
ride
> on my Shimagnolo equipped touring bike.
>
> Rob Strickland

> I'm leaning towards getting all 9s Campy components, including the Ergos, for price reasons, and
> to keep it all in the same line. If you say that
the
> 9s fdr is equivalent to the 10s fdr, and the 9s rdr and 9s Ergos can be converted to 10s, then
> that's good enough for me and I'll deal with it
when
> I need to, assuming they ever comes out with a 10s casssette that works

If and when you want to convert to 10s, you'll have to have the right ERGO shifter converted (new
shift disc-roughly $40+labor), add a 10s cassette and 10s chain and you're done. You won't have to
do anything to the rear derailleur.

> However, you also said that this won't shift as smoothly as 10s Ergos with the special routing.
> Why is that, and what kind of non-smoothness would I
be
> likely to notice? E.g. trimming needed with every shift, clunky shifting, misshifting, chain
> falling off cogs and/or chainrings, etc.?

From my reading it seems that the approach of using 10s ERGO shifters and re-routing the cable
has been the more successful way to do it. On the other hand, I think the re-routing approach is
supposed to work only with Shimano rdrs. That's just hearsay, though, as I've never tried that
approach myself. I just went with all 9s Veloce, an XT hub and LX cassette as that's what I had
at the time and because I wanted a setup more congenial to touring. I find the shifting to be
fine but it does take a little bit of fiddling with it to get it 'dialed in'. The only issue I
have is that the 32 tooth cog on the LX cassette seems to be taxing the Veloce derailleur a bit
more than it's supposed to causing it to rumble a bit. I'm going to play with it a little to see
if I can improve that one problem but other than that it runs fine. If you run a smaller cassette
then you should have no issues whatsoever. If you'd like I have a .pdf doc put together by Louis
Du Brey that details the methods we've talked about (and a couple more). I'd be more than happy
to send it to you.

> As for replacing the wheels with Campy-compatible ones, I doubt I'll do that. Just the wheel swap
> would cost me $100, and the 10s components are more expensive as well, so this will cost me
> something around $200, just
> get one more gear that I don't really need for the kind of riding that I
do,
> or would like to do. Like I said, if and when I someday want to upgrade to 10s, I'll deal with it
> then. All other things being equal, though, I'd rather get components now that will make this
> easier and perhaps less expensive later, so long as they in no way compromise performance or
> reliability now.

I think that's the way to go. If you decide later on that you want 10 gears you can always upgrade
Campy relatively cheaply.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:12:58 GMT, "Kovie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Shimano hub + Shimano 9s cassette + Campy 9s OR 10s rdr + Campy 9s OR 10s fdr + Campy 9s OR 10s
>Ergo + 9s chain (any brand) + 9s triple cranks/bb (any brand) = 9s drivetrain that's as good as a
>standard 9s gruppo from either Shimano or Campy (or at least as good as is possible when combining
>Campy and Shimano)
>
>If so, then I think that the following would probably be the least expensive 9s setup for now, and
>the cheapest and easiest to upgrade to a 10s later:

If you want to use Shimano 9 cassettes, it makes no sense to buy 9sp Ergo if you have any incling
whatsoever for going to 10 sp cassettes. Ten speed Ergo goes down to Veloce. The cost of a shift
disk is about $35 and about $25 labor. 9sp and 10sp Ergos cost about the same. Forget about Shimano
rear deralleurs. Rerouting is for an MTB rear derailleur. When using a Campy rear derailleur, and
shimano 9 cassette, there is less fiddling with 10 sp shifters than 9. Both will run fine. Using the
10 sp chain, even though you have a 9sp setup, will make the shifts seem smoother.

"Kovie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:hmtkb.814291$YN5.824111@sccrnsc01...

> I'm building up a road bike and will probably go with Ultegras for the price/performance. However,
> I've heard that Ultegra STI's are poorly made and fall apart after a year or two, or at least
> become really pokey, and can't really be fixed. (If this is not true, or if Shimano has beefed up
> the Ultegras in recent years, please let me know.)
>
> So I'm wondering if it's possible to go with Campy Ergo's instead, and keep everything else
> Ultegra. If this is possible, are there any drawbacks? E.g. will shifting be less smooth and
> precise? Also, which non-Record Campy's should I go with, if this can be made to work?
>
> Note that I'm going with a triple setup, so the cranks, BB, rear and front derailleurs will all be
> Ultegra triple, although I might get a 105 cassette to take advantage of a sale ($18 at Nashbar
> after the 10% discount).

Check out Sheldon Brown's "Shimagnolo" kit:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/kits.html

Yes, you can do it.

Matt O.

"B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> >Why didn't you all by Campagnolo in the first place ?
>
> I also have a XTR rdr so I can put on a 34 tooth rear cassette if needed.

Good point. Campy cogs only go up to 29t, and that's only with the 10sp cassettes. Other Campy cogs
only go to 28t.

Matt O.