Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

campy freehub -- how'd I do? Peter?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 3 posts · 572 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 June 2005
Last activity
11 June 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
572
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Being used to Shimano hub overhauls, I kind of surprised myself to
    expose the pawls when I overhauled my 2000 Chorus rear hub yesterday.

    I think everything went fine and I've gained some knowledge searching
    this group's archives, but since getting this wrong could be painful, I
    thought I'd check to see if I'm an idiot for doing either of the
    following:

    1) I put a veneer of bearing grease (phil wood) on the pawls and the
    engagement ring in the hub shell. With all the bearings in and ready
    to go, right after I pushed the palls down to reseat the freehub body,
    while there was still a gap there, I put a few drips of chain lube.
    Will I be okay when the weather gets cold? On the one hand I don't
    want the grease to cause my pawls not to engage (it will eventually be
    below freezing again out here in D.C.); on the other I was worried that
    the chain lube would find its way into the drive side bearings. Did I
    do the right thing?

    2) I definitely moved the pawls around while they were still in the
    circular pawl spring/clip while I was cleaning things. I didn't remove
    the spring. But I've read about these springs breaking. Should I be
    worried?

    Any other tips for next time? I should say this was generally easy and
    these hubs are a pleasure.

    Thanks in advance everyone.


  2. Quoted message said:

    1) I put a veneer of bearing grease (phil wood) on the pawls and the
    engagement ring in the hub shell. With all the bearings in and ready
    to go, right after I pushed the palls down to reseat the freehub body,
    while there was still a gap there, I put a few drips of chain lube.
    Will I be okay when the weather gets cold? On the one hand I don't
    want the grease to cause my pawls not to engage (it will eventually be
    below freezing again out here in D.C.); on the other I was worried that
    the chain lube would find its way into the drive side bearings. Did I
    do the right thing?

    When I re-greased my "03" Chorus hub I accidentally got some Phil grease on
    the paws. The paws were sticking on my first ride out. This was late summer
    so the temps were in the 80's. Nothing too bad though, just a few skips here
    and there. I pulled the hub apart, cleaned and re-greased it being carefull
    to not get any grease on the paws. I just put a drop a Pro Link lube on the
    paws and all is fine now.

    I don't think the Phil grease is a good idea for paws.

    Tom

  3. Quoted message said:

    Being used to Shimano hub overhauls, I kind of surprised myself to
    expose the pawls when I overhauled my 2000 Chorus rear hub yesterday.

    I think everything went fine and I've gained some knowledge searching
    this group's archives, but since getting this wrong could be painful, I
    thought I'd check to see if I'm an idiot for doing either of the
    following:

    1) I put a veneer of bearing grease (phil wood) on the pawls and the
    engagement ring in the hub shell. With all the bearings in and ready
    to go, right after I pushed the palls down to reseat the freehub body,
    while there was still a gap there, I put a few drips of chain lube.
    Will I be okay when the weather gets cold? On the one hand I don't
    want the grease to cause my pawls not to engage (it will eventually be
    below freezing again out here in D.C.); on the other I was worried that
    the chain lube would find its way into the drive side bearings. Did I
    do the right thing?

    I put a wee bit of brease arouind the pawls also. Three of them and as
    long as you don't goop them up, cold weather won't make them stick
    down.

    Quoted message said:


    2) I definitely moved the pawls around while they were still in the
    circular pawl spring/clip while I was cleaning things. I didn't remove
    the spring. But I've read about these springs breaking. Should I be
    worried?

    I've only seen two springs actually break. Pretty beefy spring. We have
    replacements if you do break them.

    Quoted message said:


    Any other tips for next time? I should say this was generally easy and
    these hubs are a pleasure.

    Nope, well done. Overhauling hubs and BBs and headsets too often isn't
    a bad thing. Waiting too long and seeing them get toasted is. I OVH my
    own bike once per year. BUT if I get drenched, I overhaul it the next
    day.

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks in advance everyone.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.