Campy Freehub Transplant: Any Contraindications, Doctor?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brian Plaugher, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Bought a used wheel, was told the hub is Chorus. Was also told it was 9 speed, but it is 8. Read, in
    the proceedings of this august group, that a current Veloce hub would be good source for new freehub
    body and axle to transplant in the current standard. So:
    1) It there a version of Chorus hub that won't take the transplant?
    2) If I was misdirected on what hub it is, how can I tell? All wisdom appreciated, humor tolerated,
    snideness ignored. Thanks, Brian Plaugher

    Tags:

  2. Garry N

    Garry N Guest

    Brian, Just take the entire axle assembly from the Veloce hub. Makes it a quick and easy swithout.
    The current Chorus hubs use a different axle and cassette assembly, so there is no switching there.
    Of course the new hubs are allready 9-10speed so a switch is not needed. I have switched several
    wheels this way and it really is easy to do. Good Lock, Garry

    "Brian Plaugher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bought a used wheel, was told the hub is Chorus. Was also told it was 9 speed, but it is 8. Read,
    > in the proceedings of this august group, that a current Veloce hub would be good source for new
    > freehub body and axle to transplant in the current standard. So:
    > 1) It there a version of Chorus hub that won't take the transplant?
    > 2) If I was misdirected on what hub it is, how can I tell? All wisdom appreciated, humor
    > tolerated, snideness ignored. Thanks, Brian Plaugher

  3. Terry Rudd

    Terry Rudd Guest

    Brian,

    If the wheel has a mid-90's Chorus 8 speed hub, you can pull the freehub from a newer 9 speed
    Veloce, or Centaur and install it directly into the hub shell, without changing the axle. What you
    cannot do is then take that old 8 speed freehub and install it onto the donor 9 speed axle- it won't
    go all the way into the hub.

    I have tested this transplant but not ridden it any miles. I suspect it works fine though with
    Campagnolo's tradition of trickle down technology, (1998 Veloce derives a lot from 1995 Chorus
    and so on).

    Terry

    garry n wrote:
    > Brian, Just take the entire axle assembly from the Veloce hub. Makes it a quick and easy swithout.
    > The current Chorus hubs use a different axle and cassette assembly, so there is no switching
    > there. Of course the new hubs are allready 9-10speed so a switch is not needed. I have switched
    > several wheels this way and it really is easy to do. Good Lock, Garry
    >
    > "Brian Plaugher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Bought a used wheel, was told the hub is Chorus. Was also told it was 9 speed, but it is 8. Read,
    >>in the proceedings of this august group, that a current Veloce hub would be good source for new
    >>freehub body and axle to transplant in the current standard. So:
    >>1) It there a version of Chorus hub that won't take the transplant?
    >>2) If I was misdirected on what hub it is, how can I tell? All wisdom appreciated, humor
    >> tolerated, snideness ignored. Thanks, Brian Plaugher

  4. b plaugher-> Read, in the proceedings of this august group,
    >that a current Veloce hub would be good source for new freehub body and axle to transplant in the
    >current standard.

    Not the current Veloce, with a sealed bearing but older, first gen 9s Veloce with cup and cone
    bearings-from about 1998/9, not later.

    >1) It there a version of Chorus hub that won't take the transplant?

    No Chorus hub will accept this axle and freehub body, but will the older Veloce freehub/axle-

    >2) If I was misdirected on what hub it is, how can I tell?

    If it has an oil hole it is Record or Chorus, If ti axle-Record.