Campy Freehub Transplant: Any Contraindications, Doctor?

Brian Plaugher

Guest
Bought a used wheel, was told the hub is Chorus. Was also told it was 9 speed, but it is 8. Read, in
the proceedings of this august group, that a current Veloce hub would be good source for new freehub
body and axle to transplant in the current standard. So:
1) It there a version of Chorus hub that won't take the transplant?
2) If I was misdirected on what hub it is, how can I tell? All wisdom appreciated, humor tolerated,
snideness ignored. Thanks, Brian Plaugher

Brian, Just take the entire axle assembly from the Veloce hub. Makes it a quick and easy swithout.
The current Chorus hubs use a different axle and cassette assembly, so there is no switching there.
Of course the new hubs are allready 9-10speed so a switch is not needed. I have switched several
wheels this way and it really is easy to do. Good Lock, Garry

"Brian Plaugher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bought a used wheel, was told the hub is Chorus. Was also told it was 9 speed, but it is 8. Read,
> in the proceedings of this august group, that a current Veloce hub would be good source for new
> freehub body and axle to transplant in the current standard. So:
> 1) It there a version of Chorus hub that won't take the transplant?
> 2) If I was misdirected on what hub it is, how can I tell? All wisdom appreciated, humor
> tolerated, snideness ignored. Thanks, Brian Plaugher

Brian,

If the wheel has a mid-90's Chorus 8 speed hub, you can pull the freehub from a newer 9 speed
Veloce, or Centaur and install it directly into the hub shell, without changing the axle. What you
cannot do is then take that old 8 speed freehub and install it onto the donor 9 speed axle- it won't
go all the way into the hub.

I have tested this transplant but not ridden it any miles. I suspect it works fine though with
Campagnolo's tradition of trickle down technology, (1998 Veloce derives a lot from 1995 Chorus
and so on).

Terry

garry n wrote:
> Brian, Just take the entire axle assembly from the Veloce hub. Makes it a quick and easy swithout.
> The current Chorus hubs use a different axle and cassette assembly, so there is no switching
> there. Of course the new hubs are allready 9-10speed so a switch is not needed. I have switched
> several wheels this way and it really is easy to do. Good Lock, Garry
>
> "Brian Plaugher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Bought a used wheel, was told the hub is Chorus. Was also told it was 9 speed, but it is 8. Read,
>>in the proceedings of this august group, that a current Veloce hub would be good source for new
>>freehub body and axle to transplant in the current standard. So:
>>1) It there a version of Chorus hub that won't take the transplant?
>>2) If I was misdirected on what hub it is, how can I tell? All wisdom appreciated, humor
>> tolerated, snideness ignored. Thanks, Brian Plaugher

b plaugher-> Read, in the proceedings of this august group,
>that a current Veloce hub would be good source for new freehub body and axle to transplant in the
>current standard.

Not the current Veloce, with a sealed bearing but older, first gen 9s Veloce with cup and cone
bearings-from about 1998/9, not later.

>1) It there a version of Chorus hub that won't take the transplant?

No Chorus hub will accept this axle and freehub body, but will the older Veloce freehub/axle-

>2) If I was misdirected on what hub it is, how can I tell?

If it has an oil hole it is Record or Chorus, If ti axle-Record.