campy friction shifter

Jon Blake

Guest
When feeling nostalgic I enjoy taking out my mid '70s all campy bike.
Lately, I've been having some shifter problems. Specifically, when
sprinting or climbing out of the saddle, the downtube friction shifter
will allow the rear dereilleur to upshift.

I need advice on how to stop this. One thing it isn't is bottoming out of
the adjusting screw. Now matter how tight I turn the adjuster, the
upshifting will take place. And, of course, this is at the most awkward of
times.

TIA - Jon

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:41:01 -0800, Jon Blake wrote:

> When feeling nostalgic I enjoy taking out my mid '70s all campy bike.
> Lately, I've been having some shifter problems. Specifically, when
> sprinting or climbing out of the saddle, the downtube friction shifter
> will allow the rear dereilleur to upshift.
>
> I need advice on how to stop this. One thing it isn't is bottoming out of
> the adjusting screw. Now matter how tight I turn the adjuster, the
> upshifting will take place. And, of course, this is at the most awkward of
> times.

This is classic "autoshifting" behavior. Lubricate the cable guide under
the bottom bracket. It's dirty, and that pulls on the cable when you are
mashing out of the saddle, swinging the bottom bracket back and forth.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and
_`\(,_ | Excellence.
(_)/ (_) |

If I don't clean the cable guides frequently, they gum up more from
energy drink drips than anything else. Lots of times the resulting
goo is pretty sticky and can add quite a bit of friction to the
cables.
--Ed--

Jon Blake wrote:
> When feeling nostalgic I enjoy taking out my mid '70s all campy bike.
> Lately, I've been having some shifter problems. Specifically, when
> sprinting or climbing out of the saddle, the downtube friction shifter
> will allow the rear dereilleur to upshift.
>
> I need advice on how to stop this. One thing it isn't is bottoming out
> of the adjusting screw. Now matter how tight I turn the adjuster, the
> upshifting will take place. And, of course, this is at the most awkward
> of times.

You can leave the wire in place while you clean all the
surfaces inside the shifter and reassemble with oil or
grease. Once it's clean and lubed it will shift smoothly
and stay where you put it.

While the wire is slack, pull it out of the rear casing and
lube the wire there, too. Grease if a stainless casing, oil
if teflon lined.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

jonb-<< Specifically, when
sprinting or climbing out of the saddle, the downtube friction shifter
will allow the rear dereilleur to upshift. >><BR><BR>

Take apart, clean, when reassembling, blue locktite onto the fixing bolt.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302