Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

campy front derailleur adjustment problem

Started by J Brown · · Last activity · 2 posts · 469 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 August 2007
Last activity
9 August 2007
Original author
J Brown
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
469
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. 99 chorus shifters, 00 triple Racing-T braze-on front derailleur (aka
    puppy).

    background: heard sound like a part breaking, finger shifting on front
    shifter offered no resistance and puppy would no longer shift to larger
    chainrings.

    Too lazy to attempt fix so I brought it into shop. Their campy
    knowledgeable person "moved on" but I asked them to fix it anyway.
    Also had a new cable installed.

    When attempting shifting into the largest chainring, I had to hold in
    the finger shifter until the chain was onto the largest ring. That is,
    the overshift would get it onto the large ring but if I didn't hold it
    the un-overshift would prevent the shifting. Also the cable was scary
    close to the tire - they must have attached it wrong.

    first problem: thinking I can fix this as I've adjusted both puppies
    often enough.

    next problem: actually trying to adjust it. It's now worse: when the
    chain is on the large chainring it touches the outside of the puppy cage.

    Method:
    Puppy full in on shifter. Loosen cable. Adjust inside limit screw.
    Reattach cable, keeping it taught. There's a little tab to keep the
    cable properly position between the puppy and tire and I now used that.
    Outside limit screw allows the farthest outside movement. Still hits
    outside of cage. Try again. And again. Give up and drink beer.

    Also, it seems the shift from small to middle takes more action - e.g.,
    1.25 shifts - than before.

    It's as if the front puppy is starting off 5-7mm closer to the seat tube
    than before. Could the front shifter have been reassembled incorrectly?

    Nothing looks bent.

    Any suggestions as to what's wrong?
    (Besides me 🙂

    Cheers,
    Joel

  2. J Brown said:

    99 chorus shifters, 00 triple Racing-T braze-on front derailleur (aka
    puppy).

    background: heard sound like a part breaking, finger shifting on front
    shifter offered no resistance and puppy would no longer shift to larger
    chainrings.

    Too lazy to attempt fix so I brought it into shop. Their campy
    knowledgeable person "moved on" but I asked them to fix it anyway.
    Also had a new cable installed.

    When attempting shifting into the largest chainring, I had to hold in
    the finger shifter until the chain was onto the largest ring. That is,
    the overshift would get it onto the large ring but if I didn't hold it
    the un-overshift would prevent the shifting. Also the cable was scary
    close to the tire - they must have attached it wrong.

    first problem: thinking I can fix this as I've adjusted both puppies
    often enough.

    next problem: actually trying to adjust it. It's now worse: when the
    chain is on the large chainring it touches the outside of the puppy cage.

    Method:
    Puppy full in on shifter. Loosen cable. Adjust inside limit screw.
    Reattach cable, keeping it taught. There's a little tab to keep the
    cable properly position between the puppy and tire and I now used that.
    Outside limit screw allows the farthest outside movement. Still hits
    outside of cage. Try again. And again. Give up and drink beer.

    Also, it seems the shift from small to middle takes more action - e.g.,
    1.25 shifts - than before.

    It's as if the front puppy is starting off 5-7mm closer to the seat tube
    than before. Could the front shifter have been reassembled incorrectly?

    Nothing looks bent.

    Any suggestions as to what's wrong?
    (Besides me 🙂

    Cheers,
    Joel

    Hard to say but it sounds like a lever problem and incorrexct
    reassembly may be it...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.