campy front derailleur adjustment problem

J Brown

Guest
99 chorus shifters, 00 triple Racing-T braze-on front derailleur (aka
puppy).

background: heard sound like a part breaking, finger shifting on front
shifter offered no resistance and puppy would no longer shift to larger
chainrings.

Too lazy to attempt fix so I brought it into shop. Their campy
knowledgeable person "moved on" but I asked them to fix it anyway.
Also had a new cable installed.

When attempting shifting into the largest chainring, I had to hold in
the finger shifter until the chain was onto the largest ring. That is,
the overshift would get it onto the large ring but if I didn't hold it
the un-overshift would prevent the shifting. Also the cable was scary
close to the tire - they must have attached it wrong.

first problem: thinking I can fix this as I've adjusted both puppies
often enough.

next problem: actually trying to adjust it. It's now worse: when the
chain is on the large chainring it touches the outside of the puppy cage.

Method:
Puppy full in on shifter. Loosen cable. Adjust inside limit screw.
Reattach cable, keeping it taught. There's a little tab to keep the
cable properly position between the puppy and tire and I now used that.
Outside limit screw allows the farthest outside movement. Still hits
outside of cage. Try again. And again. Give up and drink beer.

Also, it seems the shift from small to middle takes more action - e.g.,
1.25 shifts - than before.

It's as if the front puppy is starting off 5-7mm closer to the seat tube
than before. Could the front shifter have been reassembled incorrectly?

Nothing looks bent.

Any suggestions as to what's wrong?
(Besides me :)

Cheers,
Joel

On Aug 9, 3:05 pm, J Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> 99 chorus shifters, 00 triple Racing-T braze-on front derailleur (aka
> puppy).
>
> background: heard sound like a part breaking, finger shifting on front
> shifter offered no resistance and puppy would no longer shift to larger
> chainrings.
>
> Too lazy to attempt fix so I brought it into shop. Their campy
> knowledgeable person "moved on" but I asked them to fix it anyway.
> Also had a new cable installed.
>
> When attempting shifting into the largest chainring, I had to hold in
> the finger shifter until the chain was onto the largest ring. That is,
> the overshift would get it onto the large ring but if I didn't hold it
> the un-overshift would prevent the shifting. Also the cable was scary
> close to the tire - they must have attached it wrong.
>
> first problem: thinking I can fix this as I've adjusted both puppies
> often enough.
>
> next problem: actually trying to adjust it. It's now worse: when the
> chain is on the large chainring it touches the outside of the puppy cage.
>
> Method:
> Puppy full in on shifter. Loosen cable. Adjust inside limit screw.
> Reattach cable, keeping it taught. There's a little tab to keep the
> cable properly position between the puppy and tire and I now used that.
> Outside limit screw allows the farthest outside movement. Still hits
> outside of cage. Try again. And again. Give up and drink beer.
>
> Also, it seems the shift from small to middle takes more action - e.g.,
> 1.25 shifts - than before.
>
> It's as if the front puppy is starting off 5-7mm closer to the seat tube
> than before. Could the front shifter have been reassembled incorrectly?
>
> Nothing looks bent.
>
> Any suggestions as to what's wrong?
> (Besides me :)
>
> Cheers,
> Joel

Hard to say but it sounds like a lever problem and incorrexct
reassembly may be it...