Campy front derailleur slip-shift

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Christopher Meyer, Sep 15, 2004.

  1. The 2003 Record front derailleur will shift from the large ring to the
    middle (triple) relatively frequently on rough surfaces. It occurs more
    frequently when getting up towards the larger cogs but not exclusively.
    It's been rebuilt with new springs with little impact. Not being familiar
    with the guts, it seems as though the rachet mechanism doesn't seat
    completely. I can cheat by increasing the outward max so that when it drops
    one notch it doesn't move the chain but that shouldn't necessary.

    Peter, you've helped so much in the past....any ideas?

    Tags:

  2. cm-<< The 2003 Record front derailleur will shift from the large ring to the
    middle (triple) relatively frequently on rough surfaces. It occurs more
    frequently when getting up towards the larger cogs but not exclusively.
    >><BR><BR>

    << I can cheat by increasing the outward max so that when it drops
    one notch it doesn't move the chain but that shouldn't necessary. >><BR><BR>

    Is the shifter shifting or the chain just falling off the large to the middle?
    If the former, I'd say something is amiss in the lever. Not sure but if mine, i
    would take it apart and take a look-see inside.

    If the latter, sounds like chainline issues. Proper BB?

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. Tim Howe

    Tim Howe Guest

    "Christopher Meyer" <[email protected]astcycle.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The 2003 Record front derailleur will shift from the large ring to the
    > middle (triple) relatively frequently on rough surfaces. It occurs more
    > frequently when getting up towards the larger cogs but not exclusively.
    > It's been rebuilt with new springs with little impact. Not being familiar
    > with the guts, it seems as though the rachet mechanism doesn't seat
    > completely. I can cheat by increasing the outward max so that when it drops
    > one notch it doesn't move the chain but that shouldn't necessary.
    >
    > Peter, you've helped so much in the past....any ideas?

    Try adjusting your limit screw so that the derailleur is in the
    correct place when shifted all the way to the right first. Then
    adjust your cable tension so that the shifter clicks cleanly into that
    position. If the limit screw won't let the cage move further right,
    but the "click" position is, say, 2mm further than it's allowed to be,
    it will tend not to engage correctly. In this case you will need to
    slack off some cable tension. You should be able to tell if this is
    the problem because the paddle will be harder to push and not get that
    satisfying click, but rather a sort of half-hearted tick. If a single
    click on Ergos though is dropping the chain, I wonder if you need to
    readjust the limit screw. Mine takes a few clicks to shift.

    Tim

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Christopher Meyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The 2003 Record front derailleur will shift from the large ring to the
    > middle (triple) relatively frequently on rough surfaces. It occurs more
    > frequently when getting up towards the larger cogs but not exclusively.
    > It's been rebuilt with new springs with little impact. Not being familiar
    > with the guts, it seems as though the rachet mechanism doesn't seat
    > completely. I can cheat by increasing the outward max so that when it drops
    > one notch it doesn't move the chain but that shouldn't necessary.
    >
    > Peter, you've helped so much in the past....any ideas?

    Hi Chris, Hope Peter sees this post, because he'll be able to help
    I'm sure. Sounds like a pain in the butt, and also can be dangerous
    slipping out of gear. Both Campagnolo, and Branford bike have exploded
    views of Ergo Levers, and parts, and perhaps this might help you to
    check proper assembly, and that your parts consist are indeed all good
    parts?

    Otherwise, Peter will rebuild this for you. Sounds like your
    missing/overlooking something somewhere, or some particular part is
    still sub-par? Hope this helps Mark D.

  5. Thanks folks,

    The issue is the derailleur moving. It will relase a "click" when going
    over a bump. Since I just had the shifter re-build by my LBS, which do good
    work, I'm going to try Tim's suggestion.

    CM