Campy front derailleur slip-shift

Christopher Meyer

Guest
The 2003 Record front derailleur will shift from the large ring to the
middle (triple) relatively frequently on rough surfaces. It occurs more
frequently when getting up towards the larger cogs but not exclusively.
It's been rebuilt with new springs with little impact. Not being familiar
with the guts, it seems as though the rachet mechanism doesn't seat
completely. I can cheat by increasing the outward max so that when it drops
one notch it doesn't move the chain but that shouldn't necessary.

Peter, you've helped so much in the past....any ideas?

cm-<< The 2003 Record front derailleur will shift from the large ring to the
middle (triple) relatively frequently on rough surfaces. It occurs more
frequently when getting up towards the larger cogs but not exclusively.
>><BR><BR>

<< I can cheat by increasing the outward max so that when it drops
one notch it doesn't move the chain but that shouldn't necessary. >><BR><BR>

Is the shifter shifting or the chain just falling off the large to the middle?
If the former, I'd say something is amiss in the lever. Not sure but if mine, i
would take it apart and take a look-see inside.

If the latter, sounds like chainline issues. Proper BB?

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

"Christopher Meyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The 2003 Record front derailleur will shift from the large ring to the
> middle (triple) relatively frequently on rough surfaces. It occurs more
> frequently when getting up towards the larger cogs but not exclusively.
> It's been rebuilt with new springs with little impact. Not being familiar
> with the guts, it seems as though the rachet mechanism doesn't seat
> completely. I can cheat by increasing the outward max so that when it drops
> one notch it doesn't move the chain but that shouldn't necessary.
>
> Peter, you've helped so much in the past....any ideas?

Try adjusting your limit screw so that the derailleur is in the
correct place when shifted all the way to the right first. Then
adjust your cable tension so that the shifter clicks cleanly into that
position. If the limit screw won't let the cage move further right,
but the "click" position is, say, 2mm further than it's allowed to be,
it will tend not to engage correctly. In this case you will need to
slack off some cable tension. You should be able to tell if this is
the problem because the paddle will be harder to push and not get that
satisfying click, but rather a sort of half-hearted tick. If a single
click on Ergos though is dropping the chain, I wonder if you need to
readjust the limit screw. Mine takes a few clicks to shift.

Tim

"Christopher Meyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The 2003 Record front derailleur will shift from the large ring to the
> middle (triple) relatively frequently on rough surfaces. It occurs more
> frequently when getting up towards the larger cogs but not exclusively.
> It's been rebuilt with new springs with little impact. Not being familiar
> with the guts, it seems as though the rachet mechanism doesn't seat
> completely. I can cheat by increasing the outward max so that when it drops
> one notch it doesn't move the chain but that shouldn't necessary.
>
> Peter, you've helped so much in the past....any ideas?

Hi Chris, Hope Peter sees this post, because he'll be able to help
I'm sure. Sounds like a pain in the butt, and also can be dangerous
slipping out of gear. Both Campagnolo, and Branford bike have exploded
views of Ergo Levers, and parts, and perhaps this might help you to
check proper assembly, and that your parts consist are indeed all good
parts?

Otherwise, Peter will rebuild this for you. Sounds like your
missing/overlooking something somewhere, or some particular part is
still sub-par? Hope this helps Mark D.

Thanks folks,

The issue is the derailleur moving. It will relase a "click" when going
over a bump. Since I just had the shifter re-build by my LBS, which do good
work, I'm going to try Tim's suggestion.

CM