Campy front ergo shifter problems

andy

Guest
I posted this earlier about a Centaur Ergo front shifter problem. This is a
little followup. I was initially advised by Peter in Boulder it sounded like
a cracked body. Hopefully that is not the problem since it has seen little
use, <100 miles, when this symptom first occurred. It is mounted on a
cyclocross bike but no memory of bike falling or wrecking on that side.
It is no longer sometimes but all the time. It appears there are four cliks
to the shifter. If I downshift completely I am unable to engage the shifter
unless I pull the lever as close to the handlebar as possible and then it
engages. I am then able to shift up in any increment. Once the derailleur is
all the way out If I shift down one or two cliks, I am able to shift up
again. However once I shift all the way down it is necessary to shift again
by pulling lever very close to bars, actually resting against the bar.
Any thoughts now on what is going on, besides a cracked body?
Thanx again for all the help.
Andy

andy wrote:
> I posted this earlier about a Centaur Ergo front shifter problem. This is a
> little followup. I was initially advised by Peter in Boulder it sounded like
> a cracked body. Hopefully that is not the problem since it has seen little
> use, <100 miles, when this symptom first occurred. It is mounted on a
> cyclocross bike but no memory of bike falling or wrecking on that side.
> It is no longer sometimes but all the time. It appears there are four cliks
> to the shifter. If I downshift completely I am unable to engage the shifter
> unless I pull the lever as close to the handlebar as possible and then it
> engages. I am then able to shift up in any increment. Once the derailleur is
> all the way out If I shift down one or two cliks, I am able to shift up
> again. However once I shift all the way down it is necessary to shift again
> by pulling lever very close to bars, actually resting against the bar.
> Any thoughts now on what is going on, besides a cracked body?
> Thanx again for all the help.
> Andy

Something is preventing the little tab on the actual shifter from
engaging the toothed bushing in the front. I suspect that perhaps the
thru bolt is wiggling back and forth causing the shifter to move away
from the bushing. I would take the whole thing apart and add a thin
washer under the thru bolt at the front, thereby tightening the entire
mechanism up. Not uncommon when they hand build these things. Some will
have more or less thin shims in them. BUT, tough to say w/o seeing it.
Send it to me and I'll take a look.

As usual Peter, thanx a ton for the info. I may stop by this weekend as I
will be near Boulder on Saturday.
thanx again,
Andy