Campy Gran Sport Cranks and Chainrings

* * Chas

Guest
Did Campy ever make a Gran Sport Crankset that used 110mm BCD chainrings?

Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks that used 116mm BCD
chainring that interchanged with Victory and Triomphe cranks but I've
never seen one or even a catalog listing for these.

Back in the day I just ignored Gran Sport components but now I'm trying to
find some info for a project.

I'm familiar with the 3 arm cranks with riveted inner chainrings and steel
or alloy crankarms plus the Cheap NR style GS cranks with 144mm BCD
chainrings but not the others.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> Did Campy ever make a Gran Sport Crankset that used 110mm BCD chainrings?
>
> Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks that used 116mm BCD
> chainring that interchanged with Victory and Triomphe cranks but I've
> never seen one or even a catalog listing for these.

I'm confused. I recall the Gran Sport derailleurs as being older than
NR, maybe early '60s. OTOH Victory and Triumph was around 1985 or so.

Ah, but Google comes through again. Nice-looking cranks.
http://www.campyonly.com/history/timeline.html Scroll to 1973 --- much
later than the GS derailleurs. Oddly, the '73 catalogue rear derailleur
looks little like the early GS derailleur, but the front is the same as
what I had in the very early '60s.

--

David L. Johnson

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries,
and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove
mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

> * * Chas wrote:
> > Did Campy ever make a Gran Sport Crankset that used 110mm BCD

chainrings?

> > Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks that used 116mm

BCD
> > chainring that interchanged with Victory and Triomphe cranks but I've
> > never seen one or even a catalog listing for these.

> I'm confused. I recall the Gran Sport derailleurs as being older than
> NR, maybe early '60s. OTOH Victory and Triumph was around 1985 or so.
>
> Ah, but Google comes through again. Nice-looking cranks.
> http://www.campyonly.com/history/timeline.html Scroll to 1973 --- much
> later than the GS derailleurs. Oddly, the '73 catalogue rear derailleur
> looks little like the early GS derailleur, but the front is the same as
> what I had in the very early '60s.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson

Campy recycled some of their component model names like Record and Gran
Sport over and over without any logic.

In 1973 they cobbled together their Gran Sport gruppo out of existing
components. The gruppo included a 3 arm steel cotterless crankset with a
cheap BB, Nuovo Tipo hubs, their Pista track headset, the old Valentino
piston style front derailleur, cheap shift levers and an extremely ugly,
cheap version of the Nuovo Record rear derailleur plus misc. little parts.

This gruppo was designed to go on mid range bikes. Fortunately because of
component demands and chronic shortages during the 1971 - 74 bike boom,
Campy probably wasn't able to provide many of these crappy sets.

In the late 70s they rounded out the gruppo with cheap versions of the
Record front derailleur, seatpost, 5 arm Record crankset and pedals. This
was an attempt to compete against Shimano and Suntour for the midrange OEM
bike market.

Raleigh used some of the stuff on their Competition GS model and several
smaller Brit bike producers followed suit. A number of other bike mfg..
did the same thing for the European market but by that time most mid range
bikes coming into the US had Japanese components.

In the early 80s Campy brought out their Triomphe and Victory gruppos to
replace the Gran Sport and Nuovo Record gruppos and also to go after the
midrange OEM market controlled by the Japanese component makers.

Neither of those gruppos were very successful because Campy kept flooding
the European OEM market with cheap Nuovo Record gruppos throughout the
first half of the 80s.

Campy continued producing their crappy Velox rear derailleur up until 1974
and even worse the sold their cheap Valentino RDs from 1969 until 1985.
What were they thinking?

Chas.

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:06:33 -0800, "* * Chas"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Did Campy ever make a Gran Sport Crankset that used 110mm BCD chainrings?
>
>Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks that used 116mm BCD
>chainring that interchanged with Victory and Triomphe cranks but I've
>never seen one or even a catalog listing for these.
>
>Back in the day I just ignored Gran Sport components but now I'm trying to
>find some info for a project.
>
>I'm familiar with the 3 arm cranks with riveted inner chainrings and steel
>or alloy crankarms plus the Cheap NR style GS cranks with 144mm BCD
>chainrings but not the others.

Chas:

I had one of the alloy GS cranks from a late 70's Raleigh. It was
definitely not 116 as the rings did not interchange with my 116 TA's.
Seems to me it was a much larger diameter BCD but it's been quite a
while since I had it.

"still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:06:33 -0800, "* * Chas"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Did Campy ever make a Gran Sport Crankset that used 110mm BCD

chainrings?

> >Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks that used 116mm

BCD
> >chainring that interchanged with Victory and Triomphe cranks but I've
> >never seen one or even a catalog listing for these.
> >
> >Back in the day I just ignored Gran Sport components but now I'm trying

> >find some info for a project.
> >
> >I'm familiar with the 3 arm cranks with riveted inner chainrings and

steel
> >or alloy crankarms plus the Cheap NR style GS cranks with 144mm BCD
> >chainrings but not the others.
> >

> Chas:
>
> I had one of the alloy GS cranks from a late 70's Raleigh. It was
> definitely not 116 as the rings did not interchange with my 116 TA's.
> Seems to me it was a much larger diameter BCD but it's been quite a
> while since I had it.

Here's a link that shows some Raleigh Competitions from the 1970s. The
Competition GS used the alloy version of the 3 arm Gran Sport cranks with
the chainrings riveted together.

http://retroraleighs.com/competition.html

There's a later version 5 arm Gran Sport that I think uses the 144mm BCD
size chainrings as Campy (Nuovo)Record/Super Record cranks.

Chas.

"* * Chas" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> Did Campy ever make a Gran Sport Crankset that used
> 110mm BCD chainrings?

Not as far as I know.

> Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks
> that used 116mm BCD chainring that interchanged with
> Victory and Triomphe cranks but I've never seen one or
> even a catalog listing for these.

Have a look here:

http://www.campyonly.com/history/catalogs/1982_olympic_catalog.pdf

That's a 3MB pdf of a 1982 catalogue. Gran Sport double and triple 116mm
5-bolt cranks are listed. I haven't seen one in the flesh.

James Thomson

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
> > Did Campy ever make a Gran Sport Crankset that used
> > 110mm BCD chainrings?

> Not as far as I know.
>
> > Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks
> > that used 116mm BCD chainring that interchanged with
> > Victory and Triomphe cranks but I've never seen one or
> > even a catalog listing for these.

> Have a look here:
>
> http://www.campyonly.com/history/catalogs/1982_olympic_catalog.pdf
>
> That's a 3MB pdf of a 1982 catalogue. Gran Sport double and triple 116mm
> 5-bolt cranks are listed. I haven't seen one in the flesh.
>
> James Thomson

It looks like only the GS Touring Triple cranks used the 116mm BCD
chainrings, 35T to 53T. I'd never seen that before.

The GS Road cranks take 42T to 57T chainrings so they're probably 144mm
BCD.

Thanks for the sharp eyes.

Chas.

"* * Chas" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> It looks like only the GS Touring Triple cranks used the
> 116mm BCD chainrings, 35T to 53T.

Scroll down to page 26. There's a picture of a 116mm 5-bolt GS touring road
double, model number 0305. The triple is 0306.

> The GS Road cranks take 42T to 57T chainrings so they're
> probably 144mm BCD.

Right.

James Thomson

* * Chas wrote:
> Did Campy ever make a Gran Sport Crankset that used 110mm BCD chainrings?
> Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks that used 116mm BCD
> chainring that interchanged with Victory and Triomphe cranks but I've
> never seen one or even a catalog listing for these.
> Back in the day I just ignored Gran Sport components but now I'm trying to
> find some info for a project.
> I'm familiar with the 3 arm cranks with riveted inner chainrings and steel
> or alloy crankarms plus the Cheap NR style GS cranks with 144mm BCD
> chainrings but not the others.

Their first GS crank was a square taper forged steel chromed crank,
3-pin (elegant appearance, not as heavy as it sounds). Later 3-pin
aluminum arms. The 1982 book shows GS 5-bolt aluminum with 144mm rings
(GS 'road') and a final 116mm version triple (GS 'tour').

I believe you may have meant one of the 110mm (Olympus, Euclid, Contax,
Icarus?) 'offroad' cranks, I don't recall a GS in a 110mm format.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

David L. Johnson wrote:
> I'm confused. I recall the Gran Sport derailleurs as being older than
> NR, maybe early '60s. OTOH Victory and Triumph was around 1985 or so.
> Ah, but Google comes through again. Nice-looking cranks.
> http://www.campyonly.com/history/timeline.html Scroll to 1973 --- much
> later than the GS derailleurs. Oddly, the '73 catalogue rear derailleur
> looks little like the early GS derailleur, but the front is the same as
> what I had in the very early '60s.

You're right, the name was used twice. Yes bronze-body Gran Sport
changers were before Record. Then the later New Gran Sport which became
Gran Sport in several iterations, '70s and '80s.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> > Did Campy ever make a Gran Sport Crankset that used 110mm BCD

chainrings?
> > Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks that used 116mm

BCD
> > chainring that interchanged with Victory and Triomphe cranks but I've
> > never seen one or even a catalog listing for these.
> > Back in the day I just ignored Gran Sport components but now I'm

trying to
> > find some info for a project.
> > I'm familiar with the 3 arm cranks with riveted inner chainrings and

steel
> > or alloy crankarms plus the Cheap NR style GS cranks with 144mm BCD
> > chainrings but not the others.

> Their first GS crank was a square taper forged steel chromed crank,
> 3-pin (elegant appearance, not as heavy as it sounds). Later 3-pin
> aluminum arms. The 1982 book shows GS 5-bolt aluminum with 144mm rings
> (GS 'road') and a final 116mm version triple (GS 'tour').
>
> I believe you may have meant one of the 110mm (Olympus, Euclid, Contax,
> Icarus?) 'offroad' cranks, I don't recall a GS in a 110mm format.
> --
> Andrew Muzi

Someone was selling an NOS 36T Campy Gran Sport chainring on eBay. They
said it was 110 BCD.

The Campy chainring bag said "INGRANNAGGIO: GRAN SPORT 36D".

Judging for the picture of the chainring I thought that it was a 116 BCD.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> Someone was selling an NOS 36T Campy Gran Sport chainring on eBay. They
> said it was 110 BCD.
> The Campy chainring bag said "INGRANNAGGIO: GRAN SPORT 36D".
> Judging for the picture of the chainring I thought that it was a 116 BCD.

On a 36t 116, the chainring bolt holes are just at the limit. On a 110
there's still material between bolt hole and tooth root (34t capacity).
Campagnolo has never AFAIK printed diameter on their chainring packages,
merely 'ingrannaggio (chainring); model; ## denti (teeth)'.
--

A Muzi wrote:

> On a 36t 116, the chainring bolt holes are just at the limit.

Not quite. My Victory cranks had a 35 inner ring.

--

David L. Johnson

Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front of
enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of them would
reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has
proven this not to be the case.

> A Muzi wrote:
>
> > On a 36t 116, the chainring bolt holes are just at the limit.

> Not quite. My Victory cranks had a 35 inner ring.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson

Never say never about cycling components. I have a Campy 41T 144mm BCD
Nuovo Record chainring. The smallest was supposed to be 42T.

I also have a 37T Stronglight 122mm BCD chainring for 49, 93, 105 and
other models; 38T was supposed to be the smallest size for those cranks.

Campy listed 116mm BCD chainrings for Victory, Triomphe and a few Gran
Sport cranks as being available in 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 50,
51, 52, 53 teeth.

I found a stack of unmarked 116mm BCD 39T chainrings. The webs where the
bolt holes are located are not quite the same as Campy rings but the bolt
circles fit perfect.

Chas.

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
> > Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks that used
> > 116mm BCD chainring that interchanged with Victory and Triomphe
> > cranks but I've never seen one or even a catalog listing for these.

> Here's one (cranks only, no rings) on eBay in the Netherlands. No

connection
> to seller, etc.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280194100296
>
> James Thomson

They looked like the standard !44mm BCD cranks. I emailed the seller and
he says that they take the 116mm Touring chainrings.

Chas.

"* * Chas" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Here's one (cranks only, no rings) on eBay in the
>> Netherlands. No connection to seller, etc.

>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280194100296

>They looked like the standard 144mm BCD cranks.

If the difference isn't obvious from the proportions of the spider, compare
the intersection of the bolt circle with the "vanity groove" of the arm. The
picture on the box shows the 144mm model.

James Thomson

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
> > "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Here's one (cranks only, no rings) on eBay in the
> >> Netherlands. No connection to seller, etc.

> >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280194100296

> >They looked like the standard 144mm BCD cranks.

> If the difference isn't obvious from the proportions of the spider,

compare
> the intersection of the bolt circle with the "vanity groove" of the arm.

The
> picture on the box shows the 144mm model.
>
> James Thomson

Good eye. Now I know what to look for. I can spot the difference between
the old Record 151 BCD and 144 BCD cranks from 10 feet away, same thing
with Victory and triomphe cranks.

I tended to ignore GS stuff back in the day - the derailleurs were so ugly
and so on. Why put your name on ****!

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> ...Why put your name on ****!

These people do: <http://www.milorganite.com/home/>! ;)

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> > ...Why put your name on ****!
> >

> These people do: <http://www.milorganite.com/home/>! ;)
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
> - A. Derleth

"Why... why it's a bag of sh*t...!" "Yes... but it's good sh*t..."
Firesign Theater ca 1969

Chas.