Campy Gran Sport Cranks and Chainrings

In article <[email protected]>,
"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > * * Chas wrote:
> > > ...Why put your name on ****!
> > >

> > These people do: <http://www.milorganite.com/home/>! ;)
> >
> > --
> > Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
> > - A. Derleth

> "Why... why it's a bag of sh*t...!" "Yes... but it's good sh*t..."
> Firesign Theater ca 1969

"How did you get in Rococo, you don't have a key."
"No only half a key. I had to split it with the sound man."

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > >
> > > These people do: <http://www.milorganite.com/home/>! ;)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > > "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
> > > - A. Derleth

> > "Why... why it's a bag of sh*t...!" "Yes... but it's good sh*t..."
> > Firesign Theater ca 1969

> "How did you get in Rococo, you don't have a key."
> "No only half a key. I had to split it with the sound man."
>
> --
> Michael Press

"Far out, Catherwood. Just roll a couple of bombers and leave them on the
side table."

Chas.

On Jan 26, 7:54 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > In article <[email protected]>,
> >  "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >news:[email protected]...

> > > "Why... why it's a bag of sh*t...!"   "Yes... but it's good sh*t..."
> > > Firesign Theater ca 1969

> > "How did you get in Rococo, you don't have a key."
> > "No only half a key. I had to split it with the sound man."

> > --
> > Michael Press

> "Far out, Catherwood. Just roll a couple of bombers and leave them on the
> side table."

Keep going, then I won't have to re-buy my Nick Danger album!
Firesign Theater was funny and smart. I think "Don't Crush that Dwarf"
alluded to Nietzsche, James Joyce, Huxley and Marshall McLuhan in the
same track. You could listen to the same bit while in high school and
laugh, and then listen three years later (after some history,
philosphy and lit classes) and laugh harder. It was so layered, unlike
the four letter spew we call comedy today. -- Jay Beattie.

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 02:55:12 -0800, "* * Chas"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I tended to ignore GS stuff back in the day - the derailleurs were so ugly
>and so on. Why put your name on ****!

That's not half bad... what was that POS steel thing they threw on
cheapo Italian bikes back in the boom?

My first experience with Campy as a kid was with one of those, I still
remember thinking "if this is what they build, what's all the fuss
about Campy?"

still just me wrote:
> That's not half bad... what was that POS steel thing they threw on
> cheapo Italian bikes back in the boom?
> My first experience with Campy as a kid was with one of those, I still
> remember thinking "if this is what they build, what's all the fuss
> about Campy?"

Perhaps you're referring to that boat anchor rear changer, "Gran Turismo"?
http://re3.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/2415819558

Or a Campagnolo "Velox"?
http://sp1.mm-a1.yimg.com/image/2156809372

Yecch.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On Jan 26, 7:54 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >news:[email protected]...

> > > "Why... why it's a bag of sh*t...!" "Yes... but it's good sh*t..."
> > > Firesign Theater ca 1969

> > "How did you get in Rococo, you don't have a key."
> > "No only half a key. I had to split it with the sound man."

> > --
> > Michael Press

> "Far out, Catherwood. Just roll a couple of bombers and leave them on

the
> side table."

Keep going, then I won't have to re-buy my Nick Danger album!
Firesign Theater was funny and smart. I think "Don't Crush that Dwarf"
alluded to Nietzsche, James Joyce, Huxley and Marshall McLuhan in the
same track. You could listen to the same bit while in high school and
laugh, and then listen three years later (after some history,
philosphy and lit classes) and laugh harder. It was so layered, unlike
the four letter spew we call comedy today. -- Jay Beattie.

www.theatreofthemindless.com/TOTM/SCRIPTS/NickDanger.doc

Chas.

"still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 02:55:12 -0800, "* * Chas"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I tended to ignore GS stuff back in the day - the derailleurs were so

ugly
> >and so on. Why put your name on ****!

> That's not half bad... what was that POS steel thing they threw on
> cheapo Italian bikes back in the boom?
>
> My first experience with Campy as a kid was with one of those, I still
> remember thinking "if this is what they build, what's all the fuss
> about Campy?"

In order of ugliness - beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder..... ;-)

The Nuovo Sport (1960s)
http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=964ae418-a4ad-40d0-b6f0-64f6535fb153

The Valentino Extra (1968 to 1985)
http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=5f356be4-bd2b-49cd-b610-99ca011654f7

The Nuovo Valentino (1970 to 1984)
http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=6926b3ea-15ee-4dd5-87c8-99e0b83ef5a7

The Velox (1971 on)
http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=5eb9c7bd-8f0c-4b75-977c-c4de5b00243a

The Nuovo Gran Sport (1974 to 1985)
http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=2f27600f-12ec-44c5-a4a2-600ffc9ef343

The Valentino/Gran Sport Front Derailleur (which came 1st - Campy or
Simplex?)
http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=9c598bf7-aed6-4081-8946-60f857838637

Then there's the grand-daddy of them all - The Gran Turisimo (1970-1974)
http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=f3318a6d-110a-467f-bdd3-abf899e2b8b4

I have one of these Gran Turisimos as a paper weight on my desk. It weighs
about 2 Lbs. They shifted so poorly as to be almost nonfunctional. They
were so strong that if the chain got jammed the frame would break before
the cage would bend.

I like the shape of the cage... It reminds me of the Grim Reaper's scythe.

Chas.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I tended to ignore GS stuff back in the day - the derailleurs were so

ugly
> >> and so on. Why put your name on ****!

> still just me wrote:
> > That's not half bad... what was that POS steel thing they threw on
> > cheapo Italian bikes back in the boom?
> > My first experience with Campy as a kid was with one of those, I still
> > remember thinking "if this is what they build, what's all the fuss
> > about Campy?"

> Perhaps you're referring to that boat anchor rear changer, "Gran

Turismo"?
> http://re3.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/2415819558
>
> Or a Campagnolo "Velox"?
> http://sp1.mm-a1.yimg.com/image/2156809372
>
> Yecch.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andrew, you picked the good looking ones. See my post above.

Tullio must have hated his son Valentino....

Chas.

In article <[email protected]>,
"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> On Jan 26, 7:54 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > "How did you get in Rococo, you don't have a key."
> > > "No only half a key. I had to split it with the sound man."

> > "Far out, Catherwood. Just roll a couple of bombers and leave them on

> the
> > side table."

> Keep going, then I won't have to re-buy my Nick Danger album!
> Firesign Theater was funny and smart. I think "Don't Crush that Dwarf"
> alluded to Nietzsche, James Joyce, Huxley and Marshall McLuhan in the
> same track. You could listen to the same bit while in high school and
> laugh, and then listen three years later (after some history,
> philosphy and lit classes) and laugh harder. It was so layered, unlike
> the four letter spew we call comedy today. -- Jay Beattie.
>
> www.theatreofthemindless.com/TOTM/SCRIPTS/NickDanger.doc

Thank you for that. I could not find more than bits and pieces.
Full URL is
<http://www.theatreofthemindless.com/TOTM/SCRIPTS/NickDanger.doc>

--
Michael Press

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:02:49 -0800, "* * Chas"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> still just me wrote:
>> > That's not half bad... what was that POS steel thing they threw on
>> > cheapo Italian bikes back in the boom?
>> > My first experience with Campy as a kid was with one of those, I still
>> > remember thinking "if this is what they build, what's all the fuss
>> > about Campy?"

>> Perhaps you're referring to that boat anchor rear changer, "Gran

>Turismo"?
>> http://re3.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/2415819558
>>
>> Or a Campagnolo "Velox"?
>> http://sp1.mm-a1.yimg.com/image/2156809372
>>
>> Yecch.
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> www.yellowjersey.org
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

>Andrew, you picked the good looking ones. See my post above.
>
>Tullio must have hated his son Valentino....
>
>Chas.

I think it was the Valentino extra I was thinking of. Oft found on
bikes Bianchi should be ashamed of as I recall.

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:47:13 -0800, "* * Chas"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Keep going, then I won't have to re-buy my Nick Danger album!
>Firesign Theater was funny and smart. I think "Don't Crush that Dwarf"

Can we put this-here antenna on top of that-there rock?

"still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:47:13 -0800, "* * Chas"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Keep going, then I won't have to re-buy my Nick Danger album!
> >Firesign Theater was funny and smart. I think "Don't Crush that Dwarf"

> Can we put this-here antenna on top of that-there rock?

"That's our sacred mountain!"

"That's our sacred antenna!"

ssssssssssssssssssssChassssssss. ;-)

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> > Did Campy ever make a Gran Sport Crankset that used 110mm BCD

chainrings?
> > Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks that used 116mm

BCD
> > chainring that interchanged with Victory and Triomphe cranks but I've
> > never seen one or even a catalog listing for these.
> > Back in the day I just ignored Gran Sport components but now I'm

trying to
> > find some info for a project.
> > I'm familiar with the 3 arm cranks with riveted inner chainrings and

steel
> > or alloy crankarms plus the Cheap NR style GS cranks with 144mm BCD
> > chainrings but not the others.

> Their first GS crank was a square taper forged steel chromed crank,
> 3-pin (elegant appearance, not as heavy as it sounds). Later 3-pin
> aluminum arms. The 1982 book shows GS 5-bolt aluminum with 144mm rings
> (GS 'road') and a final 116mm version triple (GS 'tour').
>
> I believe you may have meant one of the 110mm (Olympus, Euclid, Contax,
> Icarus?) 'offroad' cranks, I don't recall a GS in a 110mm format.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks everyone for the info.

I lucked out and got a pair of Campy 36T 116mm BCD chainrings. The
lettering on the bag was so faded that 116 looked like 110. Looking at the
picture in the auction, I could tell that the BCD was bigger than 110mm.

Now if I could only find some 116mm 50T chainrings.

Chas.

On Feb 3, 6:09 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > * * Chas wrote:
> > > Did Campy ever make a Gran Sport Crankset that used 110mm BCD

> chainrings?
> > > Supposedly Campy briefly made some Gran Sport cranks that used 116mm

> BCD
> > > chainring that interchanged with Victory and Triomphe cranks but I've
> > > never seen one or even a catalog listing for these.
> > > Back in the day I just ignored Gran Sport components but now I'm

> trying to
> > > find some info for a project.
> > > I'm familiar with the 3 arm cranks with riveted inner chainrings and

> steel
> > > or alloy crankarms plus the Cheap NR style GS cranks with 144mm BCD
> > > chainrings but not the others.

> > Their first GS crank was a square taper forged steel chromed crank,
> > 3-pin (elegant appearance, not as heavy as it sounds). Later 3-pin
> > aluminum arms. The 1982 book shows GS 5-bolt aluminum with 144mm rings
> > (GS 'road') and a final 116mm version triple (GS 'tour').

> > I believe you may have meant one of the 110mm (Olympus, Euclid, Contax,
> > Icarus?) 'offroad' cranks, I don't recall a GS in a 110mm format.
> > --
> > Andrew Muzi
> >www.yellowjersey.org
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> Thanks everyone for the info.
>
> I lucked out and got a pair of Campy 36T 116mm BCD chainrings. The
> lettering on the bag was so faded that 116 looked like 110. Looking at the
> picture in the auction, I could tell that the BCD was bigger than 110mm.
>
> Now if I could only find some 116mm 50T chainrings.
>
> Chas.

LooseScrews.com has 53s for $29. That's only 1 tooth bigger than a
50-34 gap that most double FDs can handle OK. Lack of pins might slow
things down, but wackier combos were used on many a TA or Stronglight
49 "back in the day."

"Hank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Feb 3, 6:09 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > news:[email protected]...

> > chainrings?

116mm
> > BCD

I've

> > trying to

and
> > steel

BCD

> > > Their first GS crank was a square taper forged steel chromed crank,
> > > 3-pin (elegant appearance, not as heavy as it sounds). Later 3-pin
> > > aluminum arms. The 1982 book shows GS 5-bolt aluminum with 144mm

rings
> > > (GS 'road') and a final 116mm version triple (GS 'tour').

> > > I believe you may have meant one of the 110mm (Olympus, Euclid,

Contax,
> > > Icarus?) 'offroad' cranks, I don't recall a GS in a 110mm format.
> > > --
> > > Andrew Muzi
> > >www.yellowjersey.org
> > > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> > Thanks everyone for the info.
> >
> > I lucked out and got a pair of Campy 36T 116mm BCD chainrings. The
> > lettering on the bag was so faded that 116 looked like 110. Looking at

the
> > picture in the auction, I could tell that the BCD was bigger than

110mm.

> > Now if I could only find some 116mm 50T chainrings.
> >
> > Chas.

> LooseScrews.com has 53s for $29. That's only 1 tooth bigger than a
> 50-34 gap that most double FDs can handle OK. Lack of pins might slow
> things down, but wackier combos were used on many a TA or Stronglight
> 49 "back in the day."

Thanks Hank,

I have a stack of 52T and 53T chainrings. I've been riding 49/13 high
gears for over 30 years. I like to keep the big plate around 48T, 49T or
50T (retro grouch). I used to ride 49/45 chainrings with 13-18, 13-21,
13-24 or 13-26 freewheels for half step gearing depending on the terrain.

Lately the old knees are getting older and don't pull the hills as well
anymore. I'm now using 42T, 39T or 38T small chainrings (depending on the
cranks) with 13-28 freewheels or cassettes on my retro rigs. I have some
bikes with triples and granny gears for pulling real hills but I'd like to
keep the 2 mid 80s bikes that came with Campy Victory gruppos somewhat
stock and not have to change the RDs. That's why I'd like to try the 50/36
chainring combos.

Chas.