campy harder to shift then shimano?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Knight

the reason I am asking is the fellow who built my bike (a bike messenger) put on a shimano 800 rd
over a campy because it took less effort to shift (using sacks ergo shifters) the cluster is campy
but has shimano spacers. but I wanted to go up to bigger sprocket 28t verses the 23 on there now.
the shimano 600 rd has a bent arm that was bent back but I would like to replace it. I have a campy
chorus rd handy. so when I get the new cluster I want to know if I should leave it campy and use the
campy rd or get another shimano and use the spacers from the old cluster.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

steve-<< the reason I am asking is the fellow who built my bike (a bike messenger) put on a shimano
800 rd over a campy because it took less effort to shift (using sacks ergo shifters) >><BR><BR>

Sachs ERGO are shimano rear der compatible only...Switching spacers won't make them work with a
Campagnolo rear der, need to change the shift disc to a Campagnolo compatible one.

BUT with decent housing and inner wire, ERFGO, whether Sachs/shimano or Campagnolo should
'feel' the same.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

high end shimano cable is finished with an external die draw - campy is not. that /should/ make
shimano smoother.

Steve Knight wrote:
> the reason I am asking is the fellow who built my bike (a bike messenger) put on a shimano 800 rd
> over a campy because it took less effort to shift (using sacks ergo shifters)

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> high end shimano cable is finished with an external die draw - campy is not. that /should/ make
> shimano smoother.
>
> Steve Knight wrote:
> > the reason I am asking is the fellow who built my bike (a bike
messenger) put
> > on a shimano 800 rd over a campy because it took less effort to shift
(using
> > sacks ergo shifters)
>

Top Poster!!!

>Sachs ERGO are shimano rear der compatible only...Switching spacers won't make them work with a
>Campagnolo rear der, need to change the shift disc to a Campagnolo compatible one.
>
>BUT with decent housing and inner wire, ERFGO, whether Sachs/shimano or Campagnolo should 'feel'
>the same.

even though they are pretty much campy in design? go figure. I don't mind using shimano now that I
know. I just have to make sure to replace the spacers on the cogset. now I want to get a 27 or 28t
cogset. what decent shimano RD should I get? I have a 600 right now bit it is a bit bent so it could
use a replacement.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use Shimano shift cables with a Campy system (Shimano cables slightly thinner?) and not vice-versa?!?

"Cipher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use Shimano shift cables with a Campy system
> (Shimano cables slightly thinner?) and not vice-versa?!?
>
I've found that you have to file away some of the ends to get Shimano cables to fit Campy shifters.
A little go-round with the Dremel and you're good to go.

Mike

On 10/29/2003 05:25 PM, in article [email protected], "Cipher"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use Shimano shift cables with a Campy system
> (Shimano cables slightly thinner?) and not vice-versa?!?

Other way around ... The head of a Shimano shifter cable is slightly larger ... And can get wedged
in a Campy shifter.

> --
> "Know your limits... Then FK'N Crush'em!!!"
>
>> --------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

--
Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum
pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti
ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you double-yew double-ewe
dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

Status
Not open for further replies.