campy harder to shift then shimano?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve Knight, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    the reason I am asking is the fellow who built my bike (a bike messenger) put on a shimano 800 rd
    over a campy because it took less effort to shift (using sacks ergo shifters) the cluster is campy
    but has shimano spacers. but I wanted to go up to bigger sprocket 28t verses the 23 on there now.
    the shimano 600 rd has a bent arm that was bent back but I would like to replace it. I have a campy
    chorus rd handy. so when I get the new cluster I want to know if I should leave it campy and use the
    campy rd or get another shimano and use the spacers from the old cluster.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

    Tags:

  2. steve-<< the reason I am asking is the fellow who built my bike (a bike messenger) put on a shimano
    800 rd over a campy because it took less effort to shift (using sacks ergo shifters) >><BR><BR>

    Sachs ERGO are shimano rear der compatible only...Switching spacers won't make them work with a
    Campagnolo rear der, need to change the shift disc to a Campagnolo compatible one.

    BUT with decent housing and inner wire, ERFGO, whether Sachs/shimano or Campagnolo should
    'feel' the same.

  3. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    high end shimano cable is finished with an external die draw - campy is not. that /should/ make
    shimano smoother.

    Steve Knight wrote:
    > the reason I am asking is the fellow who built my bike (a bike messenger) put on a shimano 800 rd
    > over a campy because it took less effort to shift (using sacks ergo shifters)

  4. Scott Mann

    Scott Mann Guest

    "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > high end shimano cable is finished with an external die draw - campy is not. that /should/ make
    > shimano smoother.
    >
    > Steve Knight wrote:
    > > the reason I am asking is the fellow who built my bike (a bike
    messenger) put
    > > on a shimano 800 rd over a campy because it took less effort to shift
    (using
    > > sacks ergo shifters)

    Top Poster!!!

  5. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    >Sachs ERGO are shimano rear der compatible only...Switching spacers won't make them work with a
    >Campagnolo rear der, need to change the shift disc to a Campagnolo compatible one.
    >
    >BUT with decent housing and inner wire, ERFGO, whether Sachs/shimano or Campagnolo should 'feel'
    >the same.

    even though they are pretty much campy in design? go figure. I don't mind using shimano now that I
    know. I just have to make sure to replace the spacers on the cogset. now I want to get a 27 or 28t
    cogset. what decent shimano RD should I get? I have a 600 right now bit it is a bit bent so it could
    use a replacement.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  6. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use Shimano shift cables with a Campy system (Shimano cables slightly thinner?) and not vice-versa?!?

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Cipher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use Shimano shift cables with a Campy system
    > (Shimano cables slightly thinner?) and not vice-versa?!?

    I've found that you have to file away some of the ends to get Shimano cables to fit Campy shifters.
    A little go-round with the Dremel and you're good to go.

    Mike

  8. On 10/29/2003 05:25 PM, in article [email protected], "Cipher"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use Shimano shift cables with a Campy system
    > (Shimano cables slightly thinner?) and not vice-versa?!?

    Other way around ... The head of a Shimano shifter cable is slightly larger ... And can get wedged
    in a Campy shifter.

    > --
    > "Know your limits... Then FK'N Crush'em!!!"

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash