Campy Help Please

Your Name Here

Guest
I've got a few questions I've been saving up. 10spd kit.

Can I get away with a short derailer with this setup?
2006 Centaur square taper - 50/34. 13-26t cluster.

Does anyone run a Shimano 10spd chain on their Campy kit?

What chain is the correct width? Ultra Narrow or?
If the Ultra is 5.9mm, and the Shimano 10 is 5.9mm, why does the Shimano drop
between the chainrings occasionally?

What would cause my derailer mounting bolt to snap, when I was just riding
along. Not cross chained. Not standing. Chain was installed by an experienced
Campy guy who knows his stuff.

Am I too stupid to be running Campy gear?

Phil

On Sep 6, 7:56 am, Your Name Here <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got a few questions I've been saving up. 10spd kit.
>
> Can I get away with a short derailer with this setup?
> 2006 Centaur square taper - 50/34. 13-26t cluster.

Works fine. I've got a Veloce CT crank with an 11-25 cassette, so
that's 1t more wrap than your proposed setup.

> Does anyone run a Shimano 10spd chain on their Campy kit?

I haven't, but many do, should work fine.

> What chain is the correct width? Ultra Narrow or?
> If the Ultra is 5.9mm, and the Shimano 10 is 5.9mm, why does the Shimano drop
> between the chainrings occasionally?

Anything between 6.3 (Wipperman's 1008) and 5.9 (Campy Ultra-Narrow,
others) should work fine. No clue on the skating. Is it a "10 Speed"
crank?

> What would cause my derailer mounting bolt to snap, when I was just riding
> along. Not cross chained. Not standing. Chain was installed by an experienced
> Campy guy who knows his stuff.

Why would the chain matter? Was the RD broken by a kinked chain?

> Am I too stupid to be running Campy gear?

Anybody running "Campy junk" (as my mom calls her Ergos) is not
stupid, by definition. :)

On Sep 6, 9:56 am, Your Name Here <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got a few questions I've been saving up. 10spd kit.
>
> Can I get away with a short derailer with this setup?
> 2006 Centaur square taper - 50/34. 13-26t cluster.

I use a double crankset with 46-30 rings and 12-25 10 speed cassette
with a short cage Centaur rear derailleur. Plenty of chain wrap. My
total of 16+13 is the same as your example.

> Does anyone run a Shimano 10spd chain on their Campy kit?

Yes. Shimano 105 10 speed chain with a KMC quick link. Works fine.

> What chain is the correct width? Ultra Narrow or?
> If the Ultra is 5.9mm, and the Shimano 10 is 5.9mm, why does the Shimano drop
> between the chainrings occasionally?

Shimano and the Campagnolo Ultra and I think all other 10 speed chains
now are 5.9mm. So its the one to use. I use Specialties TA 9 speed
chainrings on my Race Face Turbine crankset, 94mm bcd. Race Face
crankset was maybe 8 speed I think when it was introduced. Its an
older square taper bottom bracket design. Never had the Shimano 10
speed chain drop between the rings.

> What would cause my derailer mounting bolt to snap, when I was just riding
> along. Not cross chained. Not standing. Chain was installed by an experienced
> Campy guy who knows his stuff.
>
> Am I too stupid to be running Campy gear?
>
> Phil

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:56:02 -0000, Your Name Here
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've got a few questions I've been saving up. 10spd kit.
>
>Can I get away with a short derailer with this setup?
>2006 Centaur square taper - 50/34. 13-26t cluster.

I see no problem. I use a std. cage rear derailleur with a 12/28.

>Does anyone run a Shimano 10spd chain on their Campy kit?

Yes, for several years. Works fine. I use a replaceable link instead
of the Shimano special pin.

>What chain is the correct width? Ultra Narrow or?
>If the Ultra is 5.9mm, and the Shimano 10 is 5.9mm, why does the Shimano drop
>between the chainrings occasionally?
>
>What would cause my derailer mounting bolt to snap, when I was just riding
>along. Not cross chained. Not standing. Chain was installed by an experienced
>Campy guy who knows his stuff.

Bad bolt

>Am I too stupid to be running Campy gear?

You'd be less intelligent by using something else.

On Sep 6, 8:56 am, Your Name Here <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got a few questions I've been saving up. 10spd kit.
>
> Can I get away with a short derailer with this setup?
> 2006 Centaur square taper - 50/34. 13-26t cluster.

Yes...short cage is called for with a normal double, 53/39-13-26 crank
so with a compact-no problem

> Does anyone run a Shimano 10spd chain on their Campy kit?

It will work fine..all 10s chains these days are 5.9mm

> What chain is the correct width? Ultra Narrow or?

see above-all 10s chains from everybody are 5.9mm..all are
intercompatible

> If the Ultra is 5.9mm, and the Shimano 10 is 5.9mm, why does the Shimano drop
> between the chainrings occasionally?

Donno w/o seeing it-adjust FD well.

> What would cause my derailer mounting bolt to snap, when I was just riding
> along. Not cross chained. Not standing. Chain was installed by an experienced
> Campy guy who knows his stuff.

Unknown w/o seeing it. 'May' have the chain too short.