Campy hubs and Mavic rims or factory wheels

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi

    I'm looking to upgrade a few bits on my bike (mechs, cassette, shifters) from worn Shimano
    Tiagra to Campagnolo Centaur. As I'm going from Shimano to Campy I'll need to replace my current
    wheels, so I'm trying to decide whether to go for a factory wheelset or a handbuilt Campy hubs
    on Mavic rims set.

    I want them to be as light as possible for the money; this is for my race bike, not a tourer.
    Relative weights appear to be:

    Mavic Ksyrium Elite: 1735gm, £250ish Mavic Ksyrium Equipe: 1835gm, £190ish Campagnolo Proton:
    1640gm, £200ish Campagnolo Zonda: 1660gm, £265

    Handbuilt Centaurs on Open Pros with SSBD spokes and nipples works out at around 1847gm and cost
    around £160. That's a lot more weight.

    On paper the Campag Proton set seems to be best value for money by being the lightest and one of the
    cheapest factory sets. Anyone used them?

    I like the look of the Campag hubs; the spannerless bearing adjustment must be ace.

    Cheers,

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Handbuilt Centaurs on Open Pros with SSBD spokes and nipples works out at around 1847gm and cost
    : around £160. That's a lot more weight.

    For only a little more expense you could save weight by using sapim lazer spokes or similar.

    Quoted weight is 281g for 64 if you want to see how that affects your calcuations

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > I'm looking to upgrade a few bits on my bike (mechs, cassette, shifters) from worn Shimano Tiagra
    > to Campagnolo Centaur. As I'm going from Shimano to Campy I'll need to replace my current wheels,

    You don't have to. Shimano cassette can be respaced (nine sprockets with 10sp Ergos), or,
    apparently, 9-speed Shimano cassettes can work acceptably well with Campag 9-speed (Centaur 9-speed
    is available), or: www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm or: http://anysystem.de

    > so I'm trying to decide whether to go for a factory wheelset or a handbuilt Campy hubs on Mavic
    > rims set.
    >
    > I want them to be as light as possible for the money; this is for my race bike, not a tourer.
    > Relative weights appear to be:
    >
    > Mavic Ksyrium Elite: 1735gm, £250ish Mavic Ksyrium Equipe: 1835gm, £190ish Campagnolo Proton:
    > 1640gm, £200ish Campagnolo Zonda: 1660gm, £265
    >
    > Handbuilt Centaurs on Open Pros with SSBD spokes and nipples works out at around 1847gm and cost
    > around £160. That's a lot more weight.

    Lighter spokes will save weight (you could probably afford Sapim CX-Ray), and actual weight of Open
    Pro varies from example to example by up to 50 grams each so you might be lucky and get light ones.
    Sorry I don't know any details about the factory wheels.

    > On paper the Campag Proton set seems to be best value for money by being the lightest and one of
    > the cheapest factory sets. Anyone used them?
    >
    > I like the look of the Campag hubs; the spannerless bearing adjustment must be ace.

    They are good. Actually, the Centaur does need a spanner to properly turn the adjusting collar
    (although you can crudely turn with fingers). Chorus is better it has a hex socket instead of scew -
    adjuster is locked and turned with the same allen key. The QR skewers are also a few grams lighter.
    Only a few quid extra.

    ~PB

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

    : I want them to be as light as possible for the money; this is for my race bike, not a tourer.
    : Relative weights appear to be:

    Something I forgot - what sort of racing? TT or road?

    If it's the former then aerodynamics is where it's at.

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  5. Msa

    Msa Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, ptangerine
    {remove_fruit}@biggs.tc says...
    > > so I'm trying to decide whether to go for a factory wheelset or a handbuilt Campy hubs on Mavic
    > > rims set.
    > >
    > > I want them to be as light as possible for the money; this is for my race bike, not a tourer.
    > > Relative weights appear to be:

    Personally I would have a set of Open Pros built on Record hubs for under £200, they should weigh in
    between 1500 and 1600g. (The campag hub weights include the skewers, other don't if you doing the
    calculations by component).

    I use the above for training on and a set of American Classic 420 deep section at 1420 odd grams for
    racing. http://www.amclassic.com/420_Wheels.html

    --
    Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may
    have occurred during transmission

  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : I want them to be as light as possible for the money; this is for my race bike, not a tourer.
    > : Relative weights appear to be:
    >
    > Something I forgot - what sort of racing? TT or road?
    >
    > If it's the former then aerodynamics is where it's at.

    Road. I do club 10s (but not dragstrip courses), more for a ride and a training session than to get
    a good time.

    Thanks for the replies,

    Mark