Campy hubs&cassettes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Westall, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Westall

Paul Westall Guest

Will Campy 9 and 10 speed cassettes fit on the same hubs as 8 speed? I know Shimano hubs accept
    either 8's or 9's, but unsure about Campy. Paul

Tags:

2. Us

Us Guest

8/9 might but C 10 is a totally unique animal....

Paul Westall wrote:
    > Will Campy 9 and 10 speed cassettes fit on the same hubs as 8 speed? I know Shimano hubs accept
    > either 8's or 9's, but unsure about Campy. Paul

3. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

Paul Westall wrote:

> Will Campy 9 and 10 speed cassettes fit on the same hubs as 8 speed?

Not without modification because 9/10sp cog spline tabs are longer and the cassettes inlcude a
    special 'L' shape tab.

They can be made to fit by filing or grinding. I've sucessfully done it with a 9sp Veloce cassette.
    I used a hand file for the first couple of cogs - slow hard work. But a stone grinding bit in an
    electric drill made relatively light work of the rest. (Guess: Perhaps it's easier with the high-end
    cassettes with the alloy carriers).

Worth doing if you can't afford or don't want new hub or hub-rebuild, or can't find suitable and
    affordable 8sp cassettes, or want the alternative ratios 9sp provides (including 14-28). Bear in
    mind that 9sp cassettes are fatter overall. The lockring can squeeze on but frame clearance may be
    an issue. I'm not sure about 10sp but I expect it could be made to work somehow.

~PB

4. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

us wrote:
    > 8/9 might but C 10 is a totally unique animal....

No, 8 is the different animal. 9 and 10 use the same spline pattern and fit the same hubs.

~PB

5. In article <[email protected]>, Paul Westall <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Will Campy 9 and 10 speed cassettes fit on the same hubs as 8 speed?

No, although 9+10 speed (they're the same) freehubs compatable with old 8-speed hubs are available.
    Record Titanium parts fitting Record and Chorus hubs are about $80; the other flavors less.

--
    <a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/">Home Page</a> The Congress shall assemble at least once in
    every Year, and such Meeting shall be on the first Monday in December, unless they shall by Law
    appoint a different Day.

6. us wrote:

Oops, wrong answer! 9spd and 10spd cassettes won't fit onto 8spd hubs, but there is no difference
    between 9spd and 10spd hubs. 9spd and 10spd cassettes may be swapped back and forth on the same
    9/10 spd hubs.

Mark McMaster [email protected]

>
    > Paul Westall wrote:
    >
    >> Will Campy 9 and 10 speed cassettes fit on the same hubs as 8 speed? I know Shimano hubs accept
    >> either 8's or 9's, but unsure about Campy. Paul
    >>
    >

7. Paul asks-<< Will Campy 9 and 10 speed cassettes fit on the same hubs as 8 speed? I know Shimano
    hubs accept either 8's or 9's, but unsure about Campy. >><BR><BR>

No...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

8. [email protected]<< 8/9 might but C 10 is a totally unique animal.... >><BR><BR>

Not so-8s is unique, Campagnolo hub wise, whereas any 9s Campagnolo hub will also accept a
    Campagnolo 10s cassette.

(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

9. On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:06:36 +0000, us wrote:

Umm, no. That is incorrect. 9/10-speed hubs are the same. 8-speed is different. 8-speed freehub
    bodies are steel, and the splines for the cogs are short. 9 or 10 speed freehubs are aluminum, and
    the splines are deeper.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | I don't believe you, you've got the whole damn thing all wrong. _`\(,_ | He's not the kind
    you have to wind-up on Sundays. --Ian (_)/ (_) | Anderson

10. Kristian

Kristian New Member

Is this correct??????? Why is there so much debate over this. Everyone has their own opinion. Is anyone using 10v on and older 9v hub? Has anyone measured the spline length? Or does anyone know the spacer width and cog width for both 9 & 10 speed?:confused:

11. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

Kristian wrote:

> > Umm, no. That is incorrect. 9/10-speed hubs are the same. 8-speed
    > is > different. 8-speed freehub bodies are steel, and the splines for the > cogs are short. 9 or
    > 10 speed freehubs are aluminum, and the splines > are deeper.

> Is this correct??????? Why is there so much debate over this. Everyone has their own opinion.

There isn't any debate over it. One poster posted incorrect info then the poor fellow was jumped on
    by about 10 of us all saying the same thing! :)

> Is anyone using 10v on and older 9v hub? Has anyone measured the spline length?

The spline length and pattern is the SAME - so obviously, the cogs fit on the same hub splines.

> Or does anyone know the spacer width and cog width for both 9 & 10 speed?:confused:

Spacing info is on Sheldon's site ("K7" page). 10sp cogs & spacers are thinner, plus Campag do
    a trick to inset the largest cog a bit towards the spokes. All this makes 10sp cassettes fit
    on 9sp hubs.

~PB

12. Kristian-<< Is this correct??????? Why is there so much debate over this. Everyone has their own
    opinion. Is anyone using 10v on and older 9v hub? Has anyone measured the spline length? Or does
    anyone know the spacer width and cog width for both 9 & 10 speed?:confused:
    >><BR><BR>

Campagnolo aluminum freehubs haven't changed from 1997 until present with regards to what fits onto
    them. All aluminum freehubs starting in 1997 can accept either Campagnolo 9s or 10s casettes...

13. Mark Hickey

Mark Hickey Guest

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>Kristian wrote:
    >
    >> > Umm, no. That is incorrect. 9/10-speed hubs are the same. 8-speed
    >> is > different. 8-speed freehub bodies are steel, and the splines for the > cogs are short. 9
    >> or 10 speed freehubs are aluminum, and the splines > are deeper.
    >
    >> Is this correct??????? Why is there so much debate over this. Everyone has their own opinion.
    >
    >There isn't any debate over it. One poster posted incorrect info then the poor fellow was jumped on
    >by about 10 of us all saying the same thing! :)

See, you don't understand how discussions work on the 'net. If you can find ONE opinion to the
    contrary of an overwhelming body of evidence to the contrary, you can keep the debate going
    virtually forever. After all, it's in writing! ;-)

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

14. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

> David L. Johnso wrote:
    > > On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:06:36 +0000, us wrote: Umm, no. That is incorrect. 9/10-speed hubs are
    > > the same. 8-speed is different. 8-speed freehub bodies are steel, and the splines for the cogs
    > > are short. 9 or 10 speed freehubs are aluminum, and the splines are deeper.

"Kristian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is this correct??????? Why is there so much debate over this. Everyone has their own opinion. Is
    > anyone using 10v on and older 9v hub? Has anyone measured the spline length? Or does anyone know
    > the spacer width and cog width for both 9 & 10 speed?:confused:

I'm surprised at the discussion, too. Campagnolo hubs accept nine or ten cassettes.

--
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

15. "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
    >
    > >Kristian wrote:
    > >
    > >> > Umm, no. That is incorrect. 9/10-speed hubs are the same. 8-speed
    > >> is > different. 8-speed freehub bodies are steel, and the splines for the > cogs are short. 9
    > >> or 10 speed freehubs are aluminum, and the splines > are deeper.
    > >
    > >> Is this correct??????? Why is there so much debate over this. Everyone has their own opinion.
    > >
    > >There isn't any debate over it. One poster posted incorrect info then
    the
    > >poor fellow was jumped on by about 10 of us all saying the same thing!
    :)
    >
    > See, you don't understand how discussions work on the 'net. If you can find ONE opinion to the
    > contrary of an overwhelming body of evidence to the contrary, you can keep the debate going
    > virtually forever.

No you can't. :)

16. On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:41:39 +0200, "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>> See, you don't understand how discussions work on the 'net. If you can find ONE opinion to the
    >> contrary of an overwhelming body of evidence to the contrary, you can keep the debate going
    >> virtually forever.
    >
    >No you can't. :)

Yes I can. Yes I can, Yes I can!

Jasper "Anything you can do.." Janssen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.