Campy Hubs on Shimano Drivetrain?

PeterF

Sep 13, 2004
I have two bikes, a newer Campy 10 equipped model and an older Shimano 9 speed model. The wheels on my older bike are in rough shape and they are looking to be retired to the trainer soon. I have a set of Campy Proton's (Campy 10 speed hub) that I would like to use on my Shimano bike. I understand that you can purchase a campy 9-speed cassette (loose cogs) and a conversion spacer kit sold by Wheels Mfg. Has anyone had experince with this type of conversion? Are there any tricks to this? How will a 9 speed campy cassette work on Shimano without changing the spacers? Mind you, it doesn't have to be perfect (spare/winter bike), but I would like it to shift. Thoughts?

You can probably get the Shimano to shift 9 of the 10 cogs
on the campag 10s to get a straight swap of your back wheels
between the commute and the Sunday bike. You probably don't
need the 12 on the commute bike anyway :rolleyes:

The shimano S9 spacing is 4.35mm and the C10 is 4.15mm
so, as long as you use a 10 speed chain (and possibly pulleys)
and you line up for cog 5 to be exactly in the centre then
cog 2 and/or 8 will only be 0.6mm out, cog 9 and cog 1 will
be adjusted up by the H and L end stops.

Also, there are a couple of gismos out there to change the
shift ratio of the shimano to exactly the C10 cog spacing.

have a look at.....
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

PeterF said:
I have two bikes, a newer Campy 10 equipped model and an older Shimano 9 speed model. The wheels on my older bike are in rough shape and they are looking to be retired to the trainer soon. I have a set of Campy Proton's (Campy 10 speed hub) that I would like to use on my Shimano bike. I understand that you can purchase a campy 9-speed cassette (loose cogs) and a conversion spacer kit sold by Wheels Mfg. Has anyone had experince with this type of conversion? Are there any tricks to this? How will a 9 speed campy cassette work on Shimano without changing the spacers? Mind you, it doesn't have to be perfect (spare/winter bike), but I would like it to shift. Thoughts?
Thanks Matt. I was wondering if anyone had experience with using a conversion kit (spacers that allow campy to work with shimano and vice versa).

PeterF said:

From the Campagnolo site at URL:
http://www.campagnolo.com/qea_search.php?gid=all&cid=1&pid=3&key=ruote&rev=1
Is the HG 8/9 type FW body (non-Campagnolo) available as a spare part?
Yes, both versions are available as spare parts. The FW with titanium pawl carrier (Record type) is identified by code WH-KX1 and the FW with steel pawl carrier (Chorus type) is identified by code WH-KX2.

In which Campagnolo wheel can I install the HG 8/9 FW body (non-Campagnolo)?

The HG 8/9 FW body can be installed on every 9s/10s wheel with the oversized light alloy spindle, except the Ghibli.

I think the idea of using a Shimano HG Compatible 9 speed cassette works much better in the long run. If you get one of the Shimano HG compatible Freehubs from Campagnolo you will have flawless shifting due to a perfect index match and the ridges of the freehub body will last much longer due to the larger cogs being tied together on a carrier. Wheels manufacturing products that use loose cogs with spacers shift fine, but in the long run that cogs will chew up the ridges on the freehub body die to the individual cogs placing their full force on the ridges.

daveornee said:
From the Campagnolo site at URL:
http://www.campagnolo.com/qea_search.php?gid=all&cid=1&pid=3&key=ruote&rev=1
Is the HG 8/9 type FW body (non-Campagnolo) available as a spare part?
Yes, both versions are available as spare parts. The FW with titanium pawl carrier (Record type) is identified by code WH-KX1 and the FW with steel pawl carrier (Chorus type) is identified by code WH-KX2.

In which Campagnolo wheel can I install the HG 8/9 FW body (non-Campagnolo)?

The HG 8/9 FW body can be installed on every 9s/10s wheel with the oversized light alloy spindle, except the Ghibli.

I think the idea of using a Shimano HG Compatible 9 speed cassette works much better in the long run. If you get one of the Shimano HG compatible Freehubs from Campagnolo you will have flawless shifting due to a perfect index match and the ridges of the freehub body will last much longer due to the larger cogs being tied together on a carrier. Wheels manufacturing products that use loose cogs with spacers shift fine, but in the long run that cogs will chew up the ridges on the freehub body die to the individual cogs placing their full force on the ridges.

Thanks for your thoughts. I would like to keep the wheel ready to go for my campy bike, which is my thinking on the wheels MFG set up. Maybe switching the free hub body is less work than I realize. That would be Ideal since I have a couple or Ultegra and SRAM cassettes that I can use.