Campy Hyperon ultra clincher rims

elpasoroadie said:
Help!! Has anyone used these $3000 wheels yet?
Are they worth the money?

FWIW I don't think that CF clincher technology has evolved to the point where CF clinchers are the wisest choice. From what I've been led to believe, CF clinchers have a tendency to "spread".

elpasoroadie said:
Help!! Has anyone used these $3000 wheels yet?
Are they worth the money?

No I haven't used them myself, but I would still unconditionally say that no wheel is "worth" that much if worth would be defined as making the wheel three or four times faster (which is how much more they cost), more reliable, or even better looking than your usual expensive wheel like a ksyrium SL.

John M said:
No I haven't used them myself, but I would still unconditionally say that no wheel is "worth" that much if worth would be defined as making the wheel three or four times faster (which is how much more they cost), more reliable, or even better looking than your usual expensive wheel like a ksyrium SL.

I have the tubular version, which is a meager $2500. :eek: I started a thread earlier about cracking a rim and Campy wanting to charge me $1395 for a RIM...not a wheel, but it turned out to be a scratch; not a crack. Still...don't break a rim!

These are the best wheels on the planet for many reasons. They're light, but they're not soft with lots of lateral flexing. They are actually my everyday wheels on my Look 585, and after 10,000 miles, I have yet to break a spoke or even true them. (Truing them is a pain in the ass because of the internal nipples. The tire has to come off.)

The hubs are very, very smooth and fast. The rims have endured cattle guards on my daily route, potholes, and crappy Southern Utah roads.

I use Tufo tires with their sealant and glue strips, and at 8,000 miles a year, I usually have about three flats. Most of the time, refilling it with a Quick Fill gets me home. For that reason, I see no reason to ride clinchers. (In fact, my last 100,000 road miles have been on tubulars.)

Hyperons are worth the money. They have no negative performance characteristics, absolutely no reliability issues, they're fast, and they look great. For the money, they're actually a value. (I have four Zipp wheelsets and an American Classic wheelset, BTW.)

Scarpelli said:
I have the tubular version, which is a meager $2500. ........ (I have four Zipp wheelsets and an American Classic wheelset, BTW.)

You should change the signature on your posts to say old, fast, treacherous, and RICH with a stable of wheels such as that.
;)

John M said:
You should change the signature on your posts to say old, fast, treacherous, and RICH with a stable of wheels such as that.
;)
I have only a few extravagances, and I'm not what I'd call *rich* but I'm comfy. If you work hard your whole life, when you get old, you may actually have some cash. :p The ironic thing is, my TWO Campy wheels are worth more than the optional polished aluminum wheelset on my '05 Corvette Coupe. I hope they never make carbon wheels for cars, because I'd be sucker enough to buy a set... :eek: