campy "index" shifters

Ron

Guest
I have an old pair of campagnolos' first attempt at index shifting levers. Does anyone know what
freewheel/chain combination these work with. Or does anyone have a shimano 6 speed freewheel 13/21
they want to sell? I've just put together a trek frame with components from an old cannondale sr2000
and the chain is skipping. Thanks

In article <[email protected]>, Ron <[email protected]> wrote:
>I have an old pair of campagnolos' first attempt at index shifting levers. Does anyone know what
>freewheel/chain combination these work with.

Shimano freewheel and any modern 6/7/8-speed chain.

Of course they will not work very well with anything and are better off left in a drawer or hawked
to a sentimental fool on eBay. I would use friction rather than stinkro.

--Paul

ovron-<< I have an old pair of campagnolos' first attempt at index shifting levers >><BR><BR>

Syncro 1? with the little auxillary lever on it?

ovron<< Does anyone know what freewheel/chain combination these work with >><BR><BR>

Depends on the index gear that's in these shifters as these were replaceable. I would say get a
Campagnolo rear der, any of them, a 6 or 7s index compatble freewheel like shimano or sunrace, a 8s
chain and try it.

[email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote in message
news:<pb3gb.37847$A%[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Ron <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I have an old pair of campagnolos' first attempt at index shifting levers. Does anyone know what
> >freewheel/chain combination these work with.
>
> Shimano freewheel and any modern 6/7/8-speed chain.
>
> Of course they will not work very well with anything and are better off left in a drawer or hawked
> to a sentimental fool on eBay. I would use friction rather than stinkro.
>
> --Paul

Uh... maybe, maybe not. The first version of Campagnolo Synchro shifters had an interchangable slug
for different systems. There were 7 different slugs, I think- but I can't recall which color slug
worked with which system.

Jeff

[email protected] (Phil Brown) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >Uh... maybe, maybe not. The first version of Campagnolo Synchro shifters had an interchangable
> >slug for different systems. There were 7 different slugs, I think- but I can't recall which color
> >slug worked with which system.
>
> As I remember that's Syncro 2. Syncro 1 has a little lever. Phil Brown

Ancient memory getting fuzzy... thanks.

Jeff

Phil Brown wrote:
> As I remember that's Syncro 2. Syncro 1 has a little lever.

The same inserts may be used in both systems. They are color coded (Yes, seven, viz.: white, black,
yellow, green, red, blue, grey) for various applications of changer, freewheel and chain. Syncro
inserts were only numbered. Colors were added when it became Syncro-II. The later colored inserts
function identically ( for better or worse) in the early Syncro lever. Most colors exist in both six
and seven speed versions. Write me if you need specific assistance with that.

Here's the original Syncro: http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/syncro.jpg

Overall the system has severe limitations compared to other index systems. There are a series of
tweaks which can ameliorate the worst aspects ( polishing the tops of the insert's splines, adding a
floating pulley, matching chain/ freewheel/shift insert carefully=by the book, using more modern
wires, ferrules, adjusters and casing, and optimizing the "B" setting, which is artful on changers
of that era).

I own a handmade Campagnolo pre-Syncro lever which was supplied on a Bianchi for a bike show in
1984. It used a detent ball runnning over depressions in a steel plate. One nice feature is a cable
adjuster built into the lever. It shifts very well but violates Shimano's patent of that period.
Starting over hurriedly with a different system, Syncro, put Campagnolo quite a bit behind for a
few years.

I think I can safely say Campagnolo was not competitive to Shimano or even Suntour in that
department until Ergo levers.

A Muzi wrote:
>>> Uh... maybe, maybe not. The first version of Campagnolo Synchro shifters had an interchangable
>>> slug for different systems. There were 7 different slugs, I think- but I can't recall which
>>> color slug worked with which system.
>>

> Phil Brown wrote:
>
>> As I remember that's Syncro 2. Syncro 1 has a little lever.
>

> The same inserts may be used in both systems. They are color coded (Yes, seven, viz.: white,
> black, yellow, green, red, blue, grey) for various applications of changer, freewheel and chain.
> Syncro inserts were only numbered. Colors were added when it became Syncro-II. The later colored
> inserts function identically ( for better or worse) in the early Syncro lever. Most colors exist
> in both six and seven speed versions. Write me if you need specific assistance with that.
>
> Here's the original Syncro: http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/syncro.jpg
>

> Overall the system has severe limitations compared to other index systems. There are a series of
> tweaks which can ameliorate the worst aspects ( polishing the tops of the insert's splines, adding
> a floating pulley, matching chain/ freewheel/shift insert carefully=by the book, using more modern
> wires, ferrules, adjusters and casing, and optimizing the "B" setting, which is artful on changers
> of that era).
>
> I own a handmade Campagnolo pre-Syncro lever which was supplied on a Bianchi for a bike show
> in 1984. It used a detent ball runnning over depressions in a steel plate. One nice feature is
> a cable adjuster built into the lever. It shifts very well but violates Shimano's patent of
> that period.

The Mavic 8 speed indexed shifter uses the same sort of plate, only of nylon (or some other
plastic). I assume then that they chose to license the Shimano patent? I always thought it as a
Mavic idea.. thanks for the lesson.

Starting over hurriedly with a different system, Syncro,
> put Campagnolo quite a bit behind for a few years.
>
> I think I can safely say Campagnolo was not competitive to Shimano or even Suntour in that
> department until Ergo levers.

Much as I am a Campy fan, I have to agree with you. I had a set of 1992 Syncro II 8 speed shifters
and Record drive train and you really had to learn to shift it accurately. I had 105 indexed
shifters on my commuter bike and they simply worked well.. no clever nuances to make them smooth.

Terry