Campy: Lower Gears for Extremely Sporadic Use

"Brian Huntley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On May 2, 10:18 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> The small dollar coins with Susan B. and Saca-unspellable and
>> soon-to-come presidents look almost like quarters. I shudder at the
>> thought of standing behind little old ladies painstakingly picking
>> through their coin purses and separating quarters from dollars in the
>> checkout line.

> Here in Canada, our dollar and two-dollar coins ("Loonie" and
> "Toonie", respectively) are quite popular. Two things helped them be
> accepted:
>
> 1) The loonie is gold-coloured, so there's no mistaking it for a
> twenty-five cent piece. The toonie is even more distinctive, being
> bimetallic.
>
> 2) We stopped making the paper equivalents at virtually the same time
> as the coins were issued.
>
> That second step is critical. To hell with acceptance, make it so.

I imagine the same philosophy was taken with the change to the metric
system.

> As to the 'pocket full of metal' issue, yes, they weigh you down more
> than bills, but since we have fairly high sales taxes applied at time
> of purchase (and generally 'hidden' until then) we would have that
> problem anyway. Personally, I think they encourage people to pay with
> exact change or 'Dilbert Values' (paying $2.12 when the bill is $1.87
> to get a quarter back instead of $0.13.)
>
> If we ever issue a $5 coin, I hope they put the Dionnes on it.

Charles?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Brian Huntley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On May 2, 10:18 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> >> The small dollar coins with Susan B. and Saca-unspellable and
> >> soon-to-come presidents look almost like quarters. I shudder at the
> >> thought of standing behind little old ladies painstakingly picking
> >> through their coin purses and separating quarters from dollars in the
> >> checkout line.

> > Here in Canada, our dollar and two-dollar coins ("Loonie" and
> > "Toonie", respectively) are quite popular. Two things helped them be
> > accepted:
> >
> > 1) The loonie is gold-coloured, so there's no mistaking it for a
> > twenty-five cent piece. The toonie is even more distinctive, being
> > bimetallic.
> >
> > 2) We stopped making the paper equivalents at virtually the same time
> > as the coins were issued.
> >
> > That second step is critical. To hell with acceptance, make it so.

> I imagine the same philosophy was taken with the change to the metric
> system.

Yes. The result is that like most Canadians, I drive in kilometres, I
buy fluids by the millilitre, and I am 5'6" and 1x0 pounds.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Brian Huntley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On May 2, 10:18 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> >> The small dollar coins with Susan B. and Saca-unspellable and
> >> soon-to-come presidents look almost like quarters. I shudder at the
> >> thought of standing behind little old ladies painstakingly picking
> >> through their coin purses and separating quarters from dollars in the
> >> checkout line.

> > Here in Canada, our dollar and two-dollar coins ("Loonie" and
> > "Toonie", respectively) are quite popular.

> > If we ever issue a $5 coin, I hope they put the Dionnes on it.

> Charles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionne_quintuplets

I'd rather see Marcel Dionne on a coin.

>> I imagine the same philosophy was taken with the change to the metric
>> system.

> Yes. The result is that like most Canadians, I drive in kilometres, I
> buy fluids by the millilitre, and I am 5'6" and 1x0 pounds.

At 1x0 pounds, you haven't been eating enough ice cream.

On May 7, 9:39 pm, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> I imagine the same philosophy was taken with the change to the metric
> >> system.

> > Yes. The result is that like most Canadians, I drive in kilometres, I
> > buy fluids by the millilitre, and I am 5'6" and 1x0 pounds.

> At 1x0 pounds, you haven't been eating enough ice cream.

He needs more poutine. P.S. avoid Slurpees in BC. They are entirely
unlike American Slurpees, eh. -- Jay Beattie.