Campy Mirage rear hubs

I have Campy Mirage rear hubs, 1999 model, on my road bike. About 15K
miles on them, plus hundreds of hours on the indoor trainer. I
believe these are sealed bearings. How can I tell if the bearings are
still good?

Thanks.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have Campy Mirage rear hubs, 1999 model, on my road bike. About 15K
> miles on them, plus hundreds of hours on the indoor trainer. I
> believe these are sealed bearings. How can I tell if the bearings are
> still good?

How do they feel? Spin the axle in the wheel with your fingers - lumpy,
graunchy or smooth?

The good thing is that if you have let them wear horribly, you can probably
just replace them. (unlike say a knackered shimano LH cup...)

cheers,
clive

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes:

> I have Campy Mirage rear hubs, 1999 model, on my road bike. About 15K
> miles on them, plus hundreds of hours on the indoor trainer. I
> believe these are sealed bearings. How can I tell if the bearings are
> still good?

Take the wheel off, remove the QR, rotate the axle with your fingers.
As long as it turns smoothly all the way, the bearings should be just
fine.

On 2007-04-18, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have Campy Mirage rear hubs, 1999 model, on my road bike. About 15K
> miles on them, plus hundreds of hours on the indoor trainer. I
> believe these are sealed bearings. How can I tell if the bearings are
> still good?

I think you probably can take the hub apart and repack the bearings,
although they're not "cup and cone" and not adjustable.

But if it feels smooth and not wobbly I would leave it alone. I took a
Veloce rear hub apart after 9K miles and it looked like new inside.

[email protected] wrote:
> I have Campy Mirage rear hubs, 1999 model, on my road bike. About 15K
> miles on them, plus hundreds of hours on the indoor trainer. I
> believe these are sealed bearings. How can I tell if the bearings are
> still good?

With any hub, take the opportunity whenever the wheel is out of the bike
(changing tire, moving in a car, etc)to spin the axle ( axle only, not
the skewer) in your fingertips.

Any roughness or play will be easily observed before it's serious if you
check frequently and it takes but a couple of seconds. A good habit fro
any cyclist to develop.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org