Campy Mirage vs. Shimano 105

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by REDwolf22, Jun 16, 2004.

1. REDwolf22

REDwolf22 New Member

I am new to road biking and am still looking at different bikes. I have figured out shimano pretty well now, but how does campy's gear match up. For example is Campy Mirage = to 105 or Tiagra? Thanks for any help.

Tags:

2. mjw_byrne

mjw_byrne New Member

It'd be closer to Tiagra, I think. Roughly speaking, 105 is more like Veloce, and Ultegra like Centaur, but of course such comparisons are of limited use. At the end of the day, Campy stuff is just different to Shimano stuff - trying to decide about which is better or worse is ultimately subjective.

3. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion New Member

I personally would position Mirage somewhere between Tiagra and Sora, maybe a bit closer to Tiagra. The rough equivalent to 105 would be a Veloce-Centaur mix.

But as, mjw_byrne said, at the end of the day it's subjective. I know of people that would choose a Campagnolo bottom of the range groupset over an Ultegra, and viceversa. It's a personal thing, the best thing to do is to find a nice LBS that would let you try the same bike with two gruppos and see which is best.

Dreamland of course, but you can try different bikes with different gruppos to get an idea of how well they shift/feel.