Campy Mix-and-Match ???

David Hallerman

Guest
Hi,

I'm thinking of putting together a Campy drivetrain in a mix-and-match fashion, with some parts I
have already and some I'd buy, and I wonder if it would work.

WHAT I HAVE
* Campy Racing-T crank, 50/40/30 (8-speed era)
* Campy ACH bottom bracket, either 111mm or 115mm
* Campy Racing-T front derailleur (8-speed era)
* brake calipers either Shimano Ultegra (current) or single-pivot Dura-Ace (older)

WHAT I'D BUY
* Chorus Ergo brifters (10-speed)
* Record rear derailleur, long cage (10-speed)
* Chorus or Record cassette, 13x29 (10-speed)
* Chorus hubs (10-speed) on new wheelset
* Wippermann stainless steel chain (9/10 speed)

Would this mix work? Would any brake calipers work well with Ergo, or should I get Chorus, say? And
I've heard the Wippermann chain works better with 10 speed than Campy's own...true?

All suggestions, experiences, ideas, opinions welcomed.

David Hallerman
------------------------
[email protected]

On 20 Feb 2003 12:13:58 -0800, [email protected] (David Hallerman) wrote:

>WHAT I HAVE
>* Campy Racing-T crank, 50/40/30 (8-speed era)
>* Campy ACH bottom bracket, either 111mm or 115mm
>* Campy Racing-T front derailleur (8-speed era)
>* brake calipers either Shimano Ultegra (current) or single-pivot Dura-Ace (older)
>
>WHAT I'D BUY
>* Chorus Ergo brifters (10-speed)
>* Record rear derailleur, long cage (10-speed)
>* Chorus or Record cassette, 13x29 (10-speed)
>* Chorus hubs (10-speed) on new wheelset
>* Wippermann stainless steel chain (9/10 speed)

I think that it will work fine. I might consider a Shimano 9sp chain for the 8sp rings. You needn't
spend that much $ on the Record derailleur, the 2003 Centaur is the same length.

I question the need for 3x10 and enjoy the flexibility that I get by staying with 9sp.

David-<< WHAT I HAVE
* Campy Racing-T crank, 50/40/30 (8-speed era)
* Campy ACH bottom bracket, either 111mm or 115mm
* Campy Racing-T front derailleur (8-speed era)
* brake calipers either Shimano Ultegra (current) or single-pivot Dura-Ace (older)

WHAT I'D BUY
* Chorus Ergo brifters (10-speed)
* Record rear derailleur, long cage (10-speed)
* Chorus or Record cassette, 13x29 (10-speed)
* Chorus hubs (10-speed) on new wheelset
* Wippermann stainless steel chain (9/10 speed)

Would this mix work? Would any brake calipers work well with Ergo, or should I get Chorus, say? And
I've heard the Wippermann chain works better with 10 speed than Campy's own...true?

It will work fine, any brake caliper will work altho the new Chorus are really nice. The Wipperman,
IRD or Campagnolo 10s chain, the last using an IRD snaplink, will work fine, The cheapest and very
functional one is the IRD-

paul-<< I might consider a Shimano 9sp chain for the 8sp rings.

This isn't necessary. I have used a 10s chain on even 7400 Dura Ace rings as well as 1995 Athena,
works fine-