Campy Mystery cranks???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by PeterF, Feb 14, 2010.

1. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I recently purchases a set of 50/36 Record CT sq taper cranks. The fact that they are pre-Ultra Torque suggests they are a few years old, but with the bushings and rings are in good shape, and other than some tiny nicks in the clear coat, they are in very good shape.

One thing that struck me as odd though was the graphics (Record CT, 10 Speed etc) are gold in color and not the standard white. A friend suggested that they may have been white but yellowed over time (possible, but the coloring is uniform, and would think fading would be blotchy).

Did campy ever make a record carbon crankset with gold lettering? :confused:

Tags:

2. PeterF

PeterF New Member

sorry for the multiple posts. My computer skills stink.... Please delete other two please...

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

While we wait for [email protected] to reply, let me say that I'm not familiar with any standard Campy cranks having gold lettering, but that doesn't mean that a set wasn't made for someone (e.g., the Pope) or that someone didn't have a set tricked out ...

If the "gold" is not metallic, then it could simply be that the clear coat discolored as your friend suggested.

4. PeterF

PeterF New Member

It's odd, since I haven't seen it on any other campy carbon parts, and the color does look uniform throughout. It does match the sidewalls of the tires though.

5. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

No..but got a picture? I'm thinking it's just black faded but....

6. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I went back out to the seller, and he said they just faded. They were white when he bought them. Mystery solved, just hadn't seen this before.