Campy NR crankset on Raleigh Competiton

Rabid Koala

New Member
May 30, 2003
I have two Raleigh Competiton frames. One is a late seventies one, a GS that came to me as a partial from Ebay. The other was also from Ebay, a complete bike with a later (probably not English) frame. This is the one with the cable guides brazed on and with the mounting for a water bottle.

This complete bike had an unknown brand bottom bracket with Campy NR cranks circa 1984. The problem is that the small chainring hits the chainstay when the crank bolts are tightened. There is no dimple in the chainstay. There is on the English frame, though. I switched the Campy bottom bracket to the newer frame, thinking it might be better than the other bottom bracket but the problem remains the same.

Is there any way to use that NR crankset on the non-English Raleigh frame or am I just wasting my time. Once the other frame is painted, I had planned to move the Campy stuff to it and build this non-English frame with components from another bike.

Help!?

Thanks!!

>Is there any way to use that NR crankset on the non-English Raleigh frame or am I just wasting my
>time. Once the other frame is painted, I had planned to move the Campy stuff to it and build this
>non-English frame with components from another bike.
>
>Help!?

Most likely you can, but you need to use a longer bottom bracket. Meassure the length of the bottom
bracket that you have. Estimate how much longer the bottom bracket needs to be for the smaller
chainring not to touch the chainstay. Buy a bottom bracket that is that much longer. I beleive that
the longets bottom bracket that you can buy is approximately 132 mm. you have bottom brackets in
several lengths including: 102, 107 112, 115, 118, 122, 127, 132 mm. these are the most common.

Remember that older cranksets needed longer bottom brackets than newer ones, since the chainrings
are located closer to the frame than with the newer cranks.

It is likely that Harris cyclery will carry the bottom bracket that you need. You'll probably need
to talk to a strange looking guy.

Andres

>>Is there any way to use that NR crankset on the non-English Raleigh frame or am I just wasting my
>>time. Once the other frame is painted, I had planned to move the Campy stuff to it and build this
>>non-English frame with components from another bike.
>>
>>Help!?

Finally an easy one. Just measure the BB shell. If it's 68mm you need a 68-SS-120 spindle, 70mm a
70-SS-120. This presumes that you're using an old style Campy bracket. Otherwise it's trial and
error but I'd start with a 113mm long spindle. Phil Brown

Originally posted by Andresmuro
>Is there any way to use that NR crankset on the non-English Raleigh frame or am I just wasting my
>time. Once the other frame is painted, I had planned to move the Campy stuff to it and build this
>non-English frame with components from another bike.
>
>Help!?

Most likely you can, but you need to use a longer bottom bracket. Meassure the length of the bottom
bracket that you have. Estimate how much longer the bottom bracket needs to be for the smaller
chainring not to touch the chainstay. Buy a bottom bracket that is that much longer. I beleive that
the longets bottom bracket that you can buy is approximately 132 mm. you have bottom brackets in
several lengths including: 102, 107 112, 115, 118, 122, 127, 132 mm. these are the most common.

Are you referring to the spindle? The one I have now is a 68 SS 120.

Thanks for your help?

Remember that older cranksets needed longer bottom brackets than newer ones, since the chainrings
are located closer to the frame than with the newer cranks.

It is likely that Harris cyclery will carry the bottom bracket that you need. You'll probably need
to talk to a strange looking guy.

Andres

> >>Is there any way to use that NR crankset on the non-English Raleigh frame or am I just wasting
> >>my time. Once the other frame is painted, I had planned to move the Campy stuff to it and build
> >>this non-English frame with components from another bike.
> >>
> >>Help!?

"Phil Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Finally an easy one. Just measure the BB shell. If it's 68mm you need a 68-SS-120 spindle, 70mm a
> 70-SS-120. This presumes that you're using an
old
> style Campy bracket. Otherwise it's trial and error but I'd start with a
113mm
> long spindle.

Yes and no.

That's correct so far as it goes. No Raleighs used Italian threading and in fact all the bikes
it could be are standard BSC threading so the Campagnolo 1046A would, as you note, use the
68-SS-120 spindle.

The original Campagnolo 1046A BB spindle is asymmetric. There are still available but more
affordable some of the other brands which used the same spindle dimensions - Sugino Mity, Sugino
Victory, Suntour Superbe ( before Superbe Pro) Zeus Criterium &2000, Shimano New Dura Ace 7400,
Nervar Star and Sport, Favorit, Ofmega, Miche, Galli, the early Mavic, FT, Sakae Royal, etc etc .
Many of these are arguably comparable to Campagnolo's in quality as well as dimensions.

If the OP just asks for a "113mm spindle BB" at your average LBS he'll probbaly get the new odd
Shimano type taper and a symetric spindle in a disposable unit.

I got a Shimano cartridge type bottom bracket and things worked out just fine. It is a 122 x 68. The Campy bottom bracket will work just fine on my 1978 Competiton frame as it has the dimple in the chainstay.

I am just coming back into riding (and repairing) bikes after a 30 year absence. To say that things have changed a bit is an understatement!

On to the next area of confusion!!!