Campy NR/SR brake lever hoods

* * Chas

Guest
I need to replace the rubber hoods on some Campy NR/SR brake levers.

Has anyone here used the knockoff hoods from Euro-Asia Imports? Is the
rubber any good?

Are there any other sources besides paying >$50 for hopefully real Campy
hoods.

I don't like the shape/feel of the Modolo hoods and on one bike I'm trying
to keep it looking all period Campy so Suntour/Dia-Compe and Shimano hoods
wont suffice.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> I need to replace the rubber hoods on some Campy NR/SR brake levers.
>
> Has anyone here used the knockoff hoods from Euro-Asia Imports? Is the
> rubber any good?
>
> Are there any other sources besides paying >$50 for hopefully real Campy
> hoods.
>
> I don't like the shape/feel of the Modolo hoods and on one bike I'm trying
> to keep it looking all period Campy so Suntour/Dia-Compe and Shimano hoods
> wont suffice.
>
> Chas.

Peter White has some "clones" for $20:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/roadbrakelevers.asp

Bottom of the page.

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> * * Chas wrote:
> > I need to replace the rubber hoods on some Campy NR/SR brake levers.
> >
> > Has anyone here used the knockoff hoods from Euro-Asia Imports? Is the
> > rubber any good?
> >
> > Are there any other sources besides paying >$50 for hopefully real

Campy
> > hoods.
> >
> > I don't like the shape/feel of the Modolo hoods and on one bike I'm

trying
> > to keep it looking all period Campy so Suntour/Dia-Compe and Shimano

hoods
> > wont suffice.
> >
> > Chas.

> Peter White has some "clones" for $20:
>
> http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/roadbrakelevers.asp
>
> Bottom of the page.

Thanks, I saw those when I was shopping around.

I just called Peter White and he answered my question. He said that the
rubber in the clones is not nearly as good as the original Campy hoods.

The dilemma is do I spend the money for the real things or buy the clones.

Back in the day, new Campy NR/SR replacement hoods that were a little
dried out frequently split when trying to install them - good Italian
rubber.

It's a good thing Campy doesn't make condoms. Maybe that's why there's a
Papal ban on their use. For the prevention of disease only.

Maybe I'll try some KY, It's not supposed to harm latex.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> I need to replace the rubber hoods on some Campy NR/SR brake levers.
>
> Has anyone here used the knockoff hoods from Euro-Asia Imports? Is the
> rubber any good?
>
> Are there any other sources besides paying >$50 for hopefully real Campy
> hoods.
>
> I don't like the shape/feel of the Modolo hoods and on one bike I'm trying
> to keep it looking all period Campy so Suntour/Dia-Compe and Shimano hoods
> wont suffice.
>
> Chas.

I used a set of the black ones on some Shimano 600EX (1st SIS
generation) levers when those hoods disintigrated.

The rubber is hard and slippery. I can't say I'd recommend them. OTOH,
I'm not sure how much I'd trust NOS NR/SR ones, at least not at $75 a
pop.

I see bicycleclassics.com has Modolo non-anatomic gum hoods for $29.
Might be a good compromise, or was there something other than the shape
you didn't like about Modolo?

"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> * * Chas wrote:
> > I need to replace the rubber hoods on some Campy NR/SR brake levers.
> >
> > Has anyone here used the knockoff hoods from Euro-Asia Imports? Is the
> > rubber any good?
> >
> > Are there any other sources besides paying >$50 for hopefully real

Campy
> > hoods.
> >
> > I don't like the shape/feel of the Modolo hoods and on one bike I'm

trying
> > to keep it looking all period Campy so Suntour/Dia-Compe and Shimano

hoods
> > wont suffice.
> >
> > Chas.

> I used a set of the black ones on some Shimano 600EX (1st SIS
> generation) levers when those hoods disintigrated.
>
> The rubber is hard and slippery. I can't say I'd recommend them. OTOH,
> I'm not sure how much I'd trust NOS NR/SR ones, at least not at $75 a
> pop.
>
> I see bicycleclassics.com has Modolo non-anatomic gum hoods for $29.
> Might be a good compromise, or was there something other than the shape
> you didn't like about Modolo?

Thanks for the feedback about the clones.

I don't feel real comfortable about NOS Campy hoods on a bike that's going
to be ridden. We used to have new replacements split while installing them
and they couldn't have been more than 3-4 years old.

On one bike I'd like to keep it pretty much original Campy. Its not a show
bike but just the same....

I'll check out the non-anatomic Modolo hoods. I think Yellow Jersey has
them too.

Brake levers seem to be the first things to suffer from road rash and
general scratches. Nice NR/SE levers and replacements are hard to find. I
have a set of Suntour or Gran-Compe levers on one bike and from a distance
they look just like NR levers. Vanity.....

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > * * Chas wrote:
> > > I need to replace the rubber hoods on some Campy NR/SR brake levers.
> > >
> > > Has anyone here used the knockoff hoods from Euro-Asia Imports? Is the
> > > rubber any good?
> > >
> > > Are there any other sources besides paying >$50 for hopefully real

> Campy
> > > hoods.
> > >
> > > I don't like the shape/feel of the Modolo hoods and on one bike I'm

> trying
> > > to keep it looking all period Campy so Suntour/Dia-Compe and Shimano

> hoods
> > > wont suffice.
> > >
> > > Chas.

> > I used a set of the black ones on some Shimano 600EX (1st SIS
> > generation) levers when those hoods disintigrated.
> >
> > The rubber is hard and slippery. I can't say I'd recommend them. OTOH,
> > I'm not sure how much I'd trust NOS NR/SR ones, at least not at $75 a
> > pop.
> >
> > I see bicycleclassics.com has Modolo non-anatomic gum hoods for $29.
> > Might be a good compromise, or was there something other than the shape
> > you didn't like about Modolo?
> >

> Thanks for the feedback about the clones.
>
> I don't feel real comfortable about NOS Campy hoods on a bike that's going
> to be ridden. We used to have new replacements split while installing them
> and they couldn't have been more than 3-4 years old.
>
> On one bike I'd like to keep it pretty much original Campy. Its not a show
> bike but just the same....
>
> I'll check out the non-anatomic Modolo hoods. I think Yellow Jersey has
> them too.

Definitely check out Yellow Jersey, in addition to Modolo, Andy Muzi
has AME Brake Hoods for about $10:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/brax.html

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> * * Chas wrote:
> > "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

levers.

the

> > Campy

I'm
> > trying

Shimano
> > hoods

> > > I used a set of the black ones on some Shimano 600EX (1st SIS
> > > generation) levers when those hoods disintigrated.
> > >
> > > The rubber is hard and slippery. I can't say I'd recommend them.

OTOH,
> > > I'm not sure how much I'd trust NOS NR/SR ones, at least not at $75

> > > pop.
> > >
> > > I see bicycleclassics.com has Modolo non-anatomic gum hoods for $29.
> > > Might be a good compromise, or was there something other than the

shape
> > > you didn't like about Modolo?
> > >

> > Thanks for the feedback about the clones.
> >
> > I don't feel real comfortable about NOS Campy hoods on a bike that's

going
> > to be ridden. We used to have new replacements split while installing

them
> > and they couldn't have been more than 3-4 years old.
> >
> > On one bike I'd like to keep it pretty much original Campy. Its not a

show
> > bike but just the same....
> >
> > I'll check out the non-anatomic Modolo hoods. I think Yellow Jersey

has
> > them too.
> >

> Definitely check out Yellow Jersey, in addition to Modolo, Andy Muzi
> has AME Brake Hoods for about $10:
>
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/brax.html

Thanks. I didn't see the AME hoods for Campy when I checked his site.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > * * Chas wrote:
> > > "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> levers.

> the

> > > Campy

> I'm
> > > trying

> Shimano
> > > hoods

> OTOH,

> shape
> > > >

> > > Thanks for the feedback about the clones.
> > >
> > > I don't feel real comfortable about NOS Campy hoods on a bike that's

> going
> > > to be ridden. We used to have new replacements split while installing

> them
> > > and they couldn't have been more than 3-4 years old.
> > >
> > > On one bike I'd like to keep it pretty much original Campy. Its not a

> show
> > > bike but just the same....
> > >
> > > I'll check out the non-anatomic Modolo hoods. I think Yellow Jersey

> has
> > > them too.
> > >

> > Definitely check out Yellow Jersey, in addition to Modolo, Andy Muzi
> > has AME Brake Hoods for about $10:
> >
> > http://www.yellowjersey.org/brax.html
> >

> Thanks. I didn't see the AME hoods for Campy when I checked his site.

Here's what his "classics" section states:

The Classic Campagnolo lever was copied by many other manufacturers, so
there is a broad range of aftermarket support

For the Classic CampagnoloRecord (1968~1985) lever we have:
[clockwise; from top right]
Original Campagnolo Natural Latex Rubber covers $119.95/pr
Modolo #919 Anatomic Hoods black $79.95/pr
DiaCompe Royal Gran Compe Latex Hoods $SOLD OUT
DiaCompe Royal Gran Compe White Hoods $79.95/pr
AméUSA Vinyl Modolo Anatomic type Hoods $9.95/pr
AméUSA Vinyl Campagnolo Record type Hoods $9.95/pr
[AméUSA colors=> Bianchi Celeste Green, Orange, Red, Yellow]
Modolo #919 Anatomic Hoods white $79.95/pr
Modolo #919 Anatomic Hoods Latex $79.95/pr
Modolo #912 Record Type Hoods Yellow $49.95/pr

http://www.yellowjersey.org/cabrx.html#CBS

At $10, the AME hoods come in several different colors for bot the
modolo anatomic and campagnolo levers. What's not to like!

bfd wrote:
> * * Chas wrote:
> > "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > levers.

> > the

> > I'm

> > Shimano

> > OTOH,

> > shape

> > going

> > them

> > show

> > has
> > > >
> > > Definitely check out Yellow Jersey, in addition to Modolo, Andy Muzi
> > > has AME Brake Hoods for about $10:
> > >
> > > http://www.yellowjersey.org/brax.html
> > >

> > Thanks. I didn't see the AME hoods for Campy when I checked his site.
> >

> Here's what his "classics" section states:
>
> The Classic Campagnolo lever was copied by many other manufacturers, so
> there is a broad range of aftermarket support
>
> For the Classic CampagnoloRecord (1968~1985) lever we have:
> [clockwise; from top right]
> Original Campagnolo Natural Latex Rubber covers $119.95/pr
> Modolo #919 Anatomic Hoods black $79.95/pr
> DiaCompe Royal Gran Compe Latex Hoods $SOLD OUT
> DiaCompe Royal Gran Compe White Hoods $79.95/pr
> AméUSA Vinyl Modolo Anatomic type Hoods $9.95/pr
> AméUSA Vinyl Campagnolo Record type Hoods $9.95/pr
> [AméUSA colors=> Bianchi Celeste Green, Orange, Red, Yellow]
> Modolo #919 Anatomic Hoods white $79.95/pr
> Modolo #919 Anatomic Hoods Latex $79.95/pr
> Modolo #912 Record Type Hoods Yellow $49.95/pr
>
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/cabrx.html#CBS
>
> At $10, the AME hoods come in several different colors for bot the
> modolo anatomic and campagnolo levers. What's not to like!

The feel of vinyl?

On 8 Jan 2007 11:45:28 -0800, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>* * Chas wrote:
>> I need to replace the rubber hoods on some Campy NR/SR brake levers.
>>
>> Has anyone here used the knockoff hoods from Euro-Asia Imports? Is the
>> rubber any good?
>>
>> Are there any other sources besides paying >$50 for hopefully real Campy
>> hoods.
>>
>> I don't like the shape/feel of the Modolo hoods and on one bike I'm trying
>> to keep it looking all period Campy so Suntour/Dia-Compe and Shimano hoods
>> wont suffice.
>>
>> Chas.

>Peter White has some "clones" for $20:
>
>http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/roadbrakelevers.asp
>
>Bottom of the page.

The OP is aware of that product -- they'e the Euro-Asia Imports ones
he mentions and asks about the quality.
--
JT
****************************

Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement
hoods that I have tried.
Campy
Type Cost Color Match Review
Euro-Asia $21.95 light Fair www.loosescrews.com. These are the most
(NOS) brown affordable hoods. They are very tough
and i believe they will last a long
time, however, the fit is not great, as
they do not go all the way back to the
handlebars. Coffee w/creamer color
or black. They are so tough that
they are arguably uncomfortable.

Modolo 919 $25 opaque Fair These are the well-known "anatomic"
brown hoods, the visual look is not
much of a match for campy hoods.
red, brown, black, etc.

Modolo 920 $24.99 opaque G-VG www.amcyclery.com / www.ebay.com
brown Soft and pliable, "modolo" in
small script, visible at 12" away.
opaque color. yellow or brown.

Generic circle $16 opaque G www.renaissance-cycles.com. These
( Olympic, an old brown generics have a double-circle, visible
Spanish brand ) at 12" away. opaque color, similar to
to modolo.

Gipiemme $45 brown VG www.renaissance-cycles.com. gum is
translucent, with same molding marks
as campy world-logo / shield-logo,
These are real gum and will have poor
durability. Probably made by the original
campy supplier in milano or vincenza.

Campy shield $75 brown E translucent, the holy grail of hoods.
logo hoods difficult to find, and not durable.
available through QBP,

Campy world $100+ brown E translucent, the holy grail of hoods.
logo hoods difficult to find, and not durable.
www.universalcyclecentre.co.uk

Match = Fair - can tell at 10 feet it's not campy
G - can tell at 1 foot it's not campy
VG - can tell at 6" it's not campy
E - it's campy

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here are some sources and reviews for generic campy record replacement
> hoods that I have tried.
> Campy
> Type Cost Color Match Review
> Euro-Asia $21.95 light Fair www.loosescrews.com. These are the most
> (NOS) brown affordable hoods. They are very tough
> and i believe they will last a long
> time, however, the fit is not great, as
> they do not go all the way back to the
> handlebars. Coffee w/creamer color
> or black. They are so tough that
> they are arguably uncomfortable.
>
> Modolo 919 $25 opaque Fair These are the well-known "anatomic"
> brown hoods, the visual look is not
> much of a match for campy hoods.
> red, brown, black, etc.
>
> Modolo 920 $24.99 opaque G-VG www.amcyclery.com / www.ebay.com
> brown Soft and pliable, "modolo" in
> small script, visible at 12" away.
> opaque color. yellow or brown.
>
> Generic circle $16 opaque G www.renaissance-cycles.com. These
> ( Olympic, an old brown generics have a double-circle, visible
> Spanish brand ) at 12" away. opaque color, similar to
> to modolo.
>
> Gipiemme $45 brown VG www.renaissance-cycles.com. gum is
> translucent, with same molding marks
> as campy world-logo / shield-logo,
> These are real gum and will have poor
> durability. Probably made by the original
> campy supplier in milano or vincenza.
>
> Campy shield $75 brown E translucent, the holy grail of hoods.
> logo hoods difficult to find, and not durable.
> available through QBP,
>
> Campy world $100+ brown E translucent, the holy grail of hoods.
> logo hoods difficult to find, and not durable.
> www.universalcyclecentre.co.uk
>
> Match = Fair - can tell at 10 feet it's not campy
> G - can tell at 1 foot it's not campy
> VG - can tell at 6" it's not campy
> E - it's campy
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

Thanks Don,

That's exactly the information that I was looking for.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> * * Chas wrote:
>>> "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

> levers.

> the

>>> Campy

> I'm
>>> trying

> Shimano
>>> hoods

> OTOH,

> shape
>>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback about the clones.
>>>
>>> I don't feel real comfortable about NOS Campy hoods on a bike that's

> going
>>> to be ridden. We used to have new replacements split while installing

> them
>>> and they couldn't have been more than 3-4 years old.
>>>
>>> On one bike I'd like to keep it pretty much original Campy. Its not a

> show
>>> bike but just the same....
>>>
>>> I'll check out the non-anatomic Modolo hoods. I think Yellow Jersey

> has
>>> them too.
>>>

>> Definitely check out Yellow Jersey, in addition to Modolo, Andy Muzi
>> has AME Brake Hoods for about $10:
>>
>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/brax.html
>>

> Thanks. I didn't see the AME hoods for Campy when I checked his site.
>
> Chas.

Yes our site is hard to get around in.
Remaining Campagnolo pattern plastic hoods by Ame are yellow, red,
orange, Bianchi Celeste , $9.95/pr. All others sold out, product
discontinued a long while ago.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On 2007-01-08, * * Chas <[email protected]> wrote:

> I need to replace the rubber hoods on some Campy NR/SR brake levers.
>
> Has anyone here used the knockoff hoods from Euro-Asia Imports? Is the
> rubber any good?

It seems ok, but they do have a prominent seam along the side of the
hood.

> Are there any other sources besides paying >$50 for hopefully real Campy
> hoods.

A'me hoods are still available in Campy style e.g.
http://www.yellowjersey.org

> I don't like the shape/feel of the Modolo hoods and on one bike I'm trying
> to keep it looking all period Campy so Suntour/Dia-Compe and Shimano hoods
> wont suffice.

Which Modolo style? I find the "anatomic" models to be quite
comfortable, but the standard ones feel almost identical to Campy's.

--

John ([email protected])

On 2007-01-08, * * Chas <[email protected]> wrote:

> Back in the day, new Campy NR/SR replacement hoods that were a little
> dried out frequently split when trying to install them - good Italian
> rubber.

The trick is to remove the levers from the bars (you can leave the
mounting posts attached to the bars), lube the hoods with "Armor-All"
and slide them on from the back so you don't need to stretch them as
much.

--

John ([email protected])

"John Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2007-01-08, * * Chas <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I need to replace the rubber hoods on some Campy NR/SR brake levers.
> >
> > Has anyone here used the knockoff hoods from Euro-Asia Imports? Is the
> > rubber any good?

> It seems ok, but they do have a prominent seam along the side of the
> hood.
>
> > Are there any other sources besides paying >$50 for hopefully real

Campy
> > hoods.

> A'me hoods are still available in Campy style e.g.
> http://www.yellowjersey.org
>
> > I don't like the shape/feel of the Modolo hoods and on one bike I'm

trying
> > to keep it looking all period Campy so Suntour/Dia-Compe and Shimano

hoods
> > wont suffice.

> Which Modolo style? I find the "anatomic" models to be quite
> comfortable, but the standard ones feel almost identical to Campy's.
>
> --
>
> John ([email protected])

1. In addition to the lines on the sides, several people said the
Euro-Asia Import hoods don't fit well and don't last as long as OEM Campy
hoods.

2. Unfortunately A'me is out of business and Andy only has them in red,
yellow, orange and Bianchi green.

3. I have a set of the Modolo anatomic hoods. I ride on the hoods most of
the time and maybe it's just the looks but I don't like them.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chas.

In article <[email protected]>,
John Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2007-01-08, * * Chas <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Back in the day, new Campy NR/SR replacement hoods that were a little
> > dried out frequently split when trying to install them - good Italian
> > rubber.

> The trick is to remove the levers from the bars (you can leave the
> mounting posts attached to the bars), lube the hoods with "Armor-All"
> and slide them on from the back so you don't need to stretch them as
> much.

I recommend against armorall for any use. It displaces
the long-lasting plasticizers included by the
manufacturer of the item with volatile plasticizers
that require constant replenishment to prevent cracking
of the material. There must be a more innocuous medium
for installing the hoods.

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> John Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On 2007-01-08, * * Chas <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Back in the day, new Campy NR/SR replacement hoods that were a

little
> > > dried out frequently split when trying to install them - good

Italian
> > > rubber.

> > The trick is to remove the levers from the bars (you can leave the
> > mounting posts attached to the bars), lube the hoods with "Armor-All"
> > and slide them on from the back so you don't need to stretch them as
> > much.

> I recommend against armorall for any use. It displaces
> the long-lasting plasticizers included by the
> manufacturer of the item with volatile plasticizers
> that require constant replenishment to prevent cracking
> of the material. There must be a more innocuous medium
> for installing the hoods.
>
> --
> Michael Press

By the appearance I always guessed that Armor-All was some kind of
polyvinyl acrylic resin and water emulsion like "latex" paint and that
maybe it contained some kind of silicone compound.

We used to use it on sewups and gum rubber sidewalls on clinchers. Could
never tell on the sewups but it seemed to help the clinchers from drying
out and cracking. Good marketing though.

Back in the day talc or baby powder was the recommended lubricant for
installing brake lever hoods.

Glycerin (glycerol) should work well because it's a good lubricant for
rubber and shouldn't cause any corrosion on aluminum parts.

K-Y Jelly might also work OK but it has other ingredients that might cause
some corrosion.

"Honey, what are you doing with the K-Y Jelly on your bike?" ;-)

Chas.

Chas.