Campy Nuetron Spokes for Campy Nucleon Wheelset?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by aacliment, Jun 23, 2007.

1. aacliment

aacliment New Member

I have a campy nucleon wheelste which have given me many thousands of miles of problem free riding. Recently though i have broken 2 spokes on the rear drive side. I still have some replacement spokes but was wondering if it wouldn't be better to replace all the rear spokes before they fail.

It is difficult to find the complete set of spokes for the nucleon so i was wondering if the newer nuetron spokes which are readily available could be used.

Thanks for the help

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

The neutron spokes should work fine as the campy parts diagrams on their website list the same length spokes on the neutron and nucleon clincher. Nucleon tubular uses a longer spoke.

3. aacliment

aacliment New Member

Thanks John. I checked the campy website after reading your reply. Since the nucleon has silver spokes and the nuetron's spokes are black, i would have liked to replace all the spokes so as not to have two different colored spokes. Unfortunately it appears that only the right rear spokes for the nucleon and nuetron are the same length. The left rear and the front spokes have different legths. Am I reading the info right?

4. John M

John M New Member

The way I read it, for clincher nucleon vs neutron, the front and non-drive rear differ by 0.25 mm. That is non-consequential (even 2mm differences can be tolerated in wheel building as usually there is more than enough extra thread either way to accomodate either a little too long or a little too short).

You do have a point about the color though and aesthetics. I think that the silver spoke kits are still available though-or at least mini kits for nucleon.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=SP9760

The parts list on the Campy site does list parts called: KIT03NU and KIT04NU, which I believe are front and rear spoke kits for nucleon (KIT03NE and KIT04NE being for neutron). don't know if they are actually available though.

The full spoke kits are quite expensive based on what I have seen--something like $120-140 per wheel for spokes/nipples/washers.

5. aacliment

aacliment New Member

I checked with Campy, and they replied that the nucleon and neutron spokes are interchangable. You were right.

I might just go ahead and replace all the spokes to neutron spokes. Having already broken 2 spokes recently, i'm afraid the rest may break soon too. Thanks for the help!